“Very Disney” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6000 W. Osceola Pkwy., Kissimmee, FL 34746 (Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Christmas Gaylord Palms
Ranked #11 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Naperville, Illinois
“Very Disney”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights during a business conference, in Sept.

Cons-When registering for the room via phone we asked for a king bed, when we arrived we were given 2 queens. We were told that there were no king rooms available that night but that they might be able to move us to a king room the following day. A coworker checked in a couple of hours after us and he received a king room. He was traveling alone!
The bedspreads in our room had a hole in it, the carpets were stained and the ceiling fan (a nice touch, if you don’t turn it on) was covered in dust. We were very disappointed in the room. Although the valet service was competent, there was no one to help us to our room with 6 pieces of luggage. There didn’t seem to be enough staff. There were a lot of little things that were irritating, but not quite big enough to complain about. Also, if you want a room facing the interior with a little balcony--it is $40. extra. The restaurants are very expensive and the coffee house made Starbucks look cheap! $2.50 for a regular cup of bad coffee!
Also, our room wasn’t cleaned until 4:00 in the afternoon. I saw the maid in the hall at around 10:30, so I took my book and went and found a nice place to read, I had lunch, shopped a little, came back at 2:00 and NO clean room. So, I waited in the room, reading and watching TV --the maid didn’t show up until 4:00. That was totally unacceptable to me!
One of our restaurant reservations got screwed up and the host actually had the nerve to act as if it might be our fault! Hummm…
There isn’t much to do in the hotel, there are pools and a spa, but it can get pretty boring—rent a car!

Pros-we were moved to a king room the next day, the room was much cleaner, and bigger, it had an awesome shower and clean carpet, however the ceiling fan was still dusty! We had a corner room with 2 windows which was great for the light. There was a computer in the room, a refrigerator and a safe, also an iron and ironing board and a coffee maker. Those amenities are important to me.
There a handful of little boutique type gift shops, watch the prices though, you can find most of the items at the local malls for less money.
Speaking of malls—if you are a shopper there are a couple of fantastic malls within minutes of the hotel, there is also an outlet mall, but the weather was so hot and humid we waited until evening when it was a little cooler to visit it.
All in all for a hotel of this size and caliber, I expected better customer service--you kind of feel that once they get you there—you’re on your own. Everything is over priced and you just don’t get that warm fuzzy feeling. The décor is a little Disney/cheesy but it’s OK. I liked the waterfalls, koi and baby alligators. Would I stay here again? Maybe, if someone else were paying for it!.

• Disliked — Poor customer service.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
Woodstock, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

I stayed here with my husband for a sales convention. The service at the hotel was first rate. At check-in, we were upgraded to an executive suite. The room was large and spotless. The adults only South Beach pool was the perfect place to relax. I recommend the hot tub next to the pool. It's open all night.

• Liked — Size of room and pool
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

We stayed at the hotel for a family wedding, which was held on the property. While the hotel is laid out around a very theme park-like atrium celebrating the various attributes of the State of Florida, the effect is tastefully done and the public spaces are large and welcoming. I recommend booking a room that looks into one of the atriums - we chose Key West and had a balcony with nice view of the pretend lagoon and its sailing ship. Hey, it's Orlando - relax and enjoy the play-acting! Noise is not much of an issue as all entertainment is ended at 10pm, unless your room was right over one of the restaurants, I suppose. BTW for those considering a wedding here, it was lovely and the food at the reception was delicious. If you have time to kill while staying here take advantage of the hotel's offer to give you a Town Car ride to their golf course and a bucket of balls with bag of clubs - for free! Other included activities are the health club and bocce and croquet. FYI for little ones - the Octopus Slide at the kids' pool is under renovation. If you don't need a car definitely book the recommended Mears airport shuttle - convenient and cheaper than a cab.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
sonora, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

Stayed at this property at a large convention. Loved lots of things about it, including that fact that it is a mini city in and of itself. The best thing was that a temperature of 72 degrees is maintained even when it is horrible and humid outside. You feel like you are outside because of the huge glass dome overhead. The italian restaurant is excellent..expensive but all you can eat with a very appealing atmosphere and large variety. The pool is beautiful and the stuctures within the resort. very interesting.
There were a couple of negatives...the rooms could be cleaner..ie
mould on the shower grab bar. Needs a good deep cleaning. The other neg was the Steak House restaurant. The prices are very high..but even without worrying about price..the food was horrible. The entres come alone..the salad, side dishes are all pricey. The salad was nothing to write home about..even the presentation. The asparagus was raw in a hollaindaise sauce.
The cheesecake like a piece of rubber. I would not eat at this restaurant even if price was not an issue.

• Liked — atmosphere outside room
  • Disliked — lack of enough restaurant choices within property
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hamburg, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

We have just returned from a convention at the Gaylord Palms and it
was magnificent. The service was outstanding. The aura of the place was fantastic. Great steakhouse on the property. Two pools-one dedicated to adults only. This pool had to be one o f the nicest pools I have used on a hotel property. Nice hot tubs. Rooms were very clean and nice. The resort is under glass and has an Everglades area with turtles and alligators and fish. They say they have snakes but did not see them. EVerything is available on site-Haagan Daaz, Disney store, Brighton, Italian place, fish sandwich place, sundries store, hertz rent-a-car. Just a great great experience. It is expensive though-so p

• Stayed September 2007
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Gaylord. My boyfriend had a convention to attend and I was happy to tag along for a few days of relaxation.

Wow, this place is huge. It feels like it's its own little city, if that makes sense. We were greeted by the valet staff, who were very friendly and welcoming. They examined our rental car for any dents or scratches before parking it - few hotels do this, but I think it's a really good idea.

Linda, the young girl at the front desk checked us in and was just lovely. We asked about paying for an upgrade, and at first she was going to put us in the Key West section of the hotel. Then she thought about it for a minute, and excused herself to go talk with the manager. She told us she was given approval to instead give us a suite in the St. Augustine section. It turns out that I'm soooo glad she did this because I hear the Key West rooms are decorated in loud/bright colors and are located in a noisier section of the hotel. I liked the St. Augustine color schemes - dark and subdued.

We took the elevator up to our room on the 7th floor, and at first I was very nervous because it was located RIGHT next to the elevator. Rooms near the elevator are normally the loudest, with people getting on and off all night. However, the way this room is set up is perfect because the living room area of the suite is what faces closest to the hallway, and the bedroom is tucked far away so you don't hear anything! I'm a very light sleeper and extra sensitive to noise (drives me crazy!) and we barely heard a peep during our 3 nights here. Also, the room stays very dark with the curtains closed - great for sleeping in. (We refered to the bedroom as "the cave.")

Our suite was huge! It could have easily fit 4 people, comfortably. The bedroom had 2 balconies overlooking the atrium area of the hotel. Our bed was really comfortable and had a nice desk with computer, (included in the $10 resort fee) lounge chair, closet and refrigerator.

Bathroom was a good size with nice "stone" tiled shower (no bath tub) and two sinks. The living area was huge also, with a dining room table, couch, coffee table, sink and another refrig. We spent no time in it, unfortunately.

I loved the fact that they had an "adults only pool!" No, that doesn't mean it was topless, ha ha. It means that anyone who uses it needs to be over 18. This avoids lots of little kids running around, splashing, etc. for those adults who want to relax and have some quiet time. Don't worry, the kiddies have their own pool complete with a cool dragon slide - thingy. Drink service at the pool was a bit slow, but they were busy with the convention going on.

The gator pond they have in the atrium of the hotel was very cool! There were different types of turtles and koi fish, as well. Very fun to watch and take pics.

Yes, you will pay a LOT to eat and drink at this hotel. Our first night, we ate at the sports bar because we were tired from our flight and just wanted something quick. We each had 2 cocktails, shared a cheese and mushroom pizza (tasted no better than a $5 microwave pizza, by the way) and a shrimp salad, and our bill with tip was just over $90! Very spendy and not good quality. No atmosphere either, unless you count the numerous t.v.'s blaring in the background.

A large vanilla latte at the coffee shop was almost $6. Absurd!!! And their idea of "large" appears to be a little off...Looked more like a medium to me.

We ate a couple of lunches and dinners catered by Gaylord because of the convention. Food was good, not wonderful. Nice salads and dessert selection, but most of the foods that were supposed to be hot, were consistently NOT.

All employees we encountered were friendly and a few of them really went above and beyond what you would expect.

Overall, I did enjoy the Gaylord but was ready to leave after 3 days. The place is just so huge, and the fact that you are enclosed in glass, "Biosphere style," can be a bit much to take after awhile. But I will say that it is definitely one of the quieter rooms I've ever stayed in, so that was for sure a plus.

• Liked — The "adults only pool" and our quiet, dark room!
  • Disliked — The size of the hotel becomes overwhelming after a day or so
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Myself and about 30 colleagues stayed here during an industry convention. Unfortuantely we had to share rooms, but that's how life is when you work for a small company.

My first reaction of this hotel upon arrival was "wow- it's huge". For those who dislike large, you'll definitely hate this place.

Parking was kind of a nightmare here - the parking lot is huge, and they charge you $10 and change per day even if you're a guest. I think that's kind of rediculous considering this is a 4-star hotel with plenty of parking spaces. I ended up being blocked out of the main lot by a line of cars waiting to exit, so I had to park near the convention center, which was a 10-minute walk to the front desk.

Check-in was fine, although it took a while for the front desk clerk to find my name among all of my co-workers. The front desk was very well staffed with what appeared to be 10+ agents. There was no wait at 4PM on a Sunday, and the clerk was friendly.

The hotel rooms are divided into four themed sections. Our room was in the Key West area, which featured bright carpeting, comforters, and the like. Because we had asked for a rollaway bed for our third roommate, the front desk assigned us to an "oversized" room, which definitely was a good size. However, the room overlooked the parking lot and roof, while most of my other co-workers got balcony rooms overlooking the atrium (definitely request an atrium-view room). I saw some rooms in the St. Augustine-themed section, and they were more tastefully decorated. The colors were more subdued and made the atmosphere more luxurious as opposed to the loud colors in the Key West rooms. At any rate, the rooms were nice - of Hilton caliber - but not any better. Our bathroom had a door between the dressing area/sinks and the shower room. The bed was comfortable although the pillows were very flat. One nice feature was the computer with internet connection - free of charge courtesy of your $10 resort fee.

Vending machines don't take cash, so be sure to bring your room key.

As for facilities, this is a great place for a convention. The atrium is huge and has many restaurants and bars to spend time (and money) at. If you happen to be travelling for business, you'll enjoy the selection, and make sure to charge your dinner/beverages to your expense account! Anyone else on leisure travel, prepare to spend a pretty penny for pretty much anything. A slice of key lime pie came to $7, for example.

If you happen to be visiting Orlando for the theme parks, do not stay here unless you have a car. Despite the shuttle service to the parks, the hotel is somewhat isolated, and nothing is within walking distance. Restaurants and stores are a 5-minute ride by car. Int'l Drive is fairly close and the parks are a few exits down I-4.

In closing, I'd say that this hotel is large, impersonal, and pretentious, and does not entirely live up to its wow factor. The rooms are good, the service is good, but the price is high and they get you for loads of fees and add-on costs. Because of those drawbacks, I would not give it an excellent rating; however, I don't think many people would find fault with much else at the Gaylord Palms.

• Liked — Good service, above average room size & quality, nice atrium, selection of food and beverage on-site
  • Disliked — Huge, hotel fees, long walk from parking, nothing within walking distance
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!