“Beware of the lock out policy in effect!” 3 of 5 stars

Westgate Town Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4000 Westgate Boulevard, Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Ranked #38 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Mississauga, Canada
“Beware of the lock out policy in effect!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We arrived well after midnight. We had paid for the week in full and our credit card had already been charged but they would only book us in for one night and told us to return to the Welcome Center the next day. After getting our breakfast and groceries, we returned to find we were locked out of our room because we had failed to report to the Welcome Center by their deadline time of 10:00 a.m. Apparently lack of sleep and the necessity to eat is not their concern. It's no fun being locked out with a trolley of melting groceries, but with no other choice we went over to the Welcome Center where we waited nearly an hour to be served due to the long waits while they sold Disney Tickets to each person. I almost laughed when it was finally my turn and they still tried to sell me Disney Tickets even though I explained we were locked out. The front desk would not help at all - they said we had to wait it out at the Welcome Center.

When we checked out they explained this lock out is their "standard procedure". I'm not even sure it's legal to lock out people who have already paid in full! Westgate needs to learn they are supposedly in the "hospitality" industry. But they haven't got a clue - they told us we could have late check out but our room keys would not work after 10:00 a.m.

On the plus side - staff was actually quite friendly, there were plenty of clean towels and the rooms were decent and the lanai was large and well screened in. There's plenty to do for kids and the Swan paddle boats are fun too. We stayed in the 5200 which was nicer than the 5000 they tried to put us in at first. The pull out bed was in such bad shape it was laughable so we upgraded to a second bedroom ($169 more) where my daughter found a chicken bone on her carpet and the other double bed in her room had not been changed. Cleanliness was okay but not pristine by a long shot.

Wheelchair accessible parking was always full. Maybe they haven't noticed that there are LOTS of disabled people visiting. Their own staff often blocked entrances with their golf carts and time share carts.

6 air conditioners were below our balcony. We found the place to be quite aggravating.

Room Tip: Check your building. Check your room. Make sure there are not 6 air conditioners under your balcony...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Town Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. We strive to provide all of our guests with a quality vacation experience and we apologize this did not occur during your vacation with us. If you would like to further discuss this matter, please do not hesitate to contact one of our management team members at 407-396-8523.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I bought pre construction at WG Gatlinburg in 2007. He passed away in 2008 and we were never able to use our vacation together. However the first time I did I found out that they took away the reasons we bought. No more horse stable to take the horses to and pets fees. I own this free and clear and have been paying my matenance fees ever since, mow over $600 a year. I am now back in Florida and having my grandchildren close I decided to try WG town center for this Disney trip.
What a disappointment!! The 1 bedroom in Gatlingurg is just that with a true kitchen, dining area, I bedroom, full living room and bathroom with whirlpool tub. The 1 bedroom that I am trying to sleep in now (lighted hallway with glass windows next to door), sofa bed is just springs, 2 burner stovetop, no oven, no cabinets available to put food In and does not even come close to matching the description for a 1 bedroom villa at Town Center.. There was a line at the desk after 1AM otherwise I would have been complaining then as we arrived late. I will be at front desk in the morning. I even booked a room at owners rates for an extra night and I am regretting that decision now.
I have never had a good experience with WG. Even their owners website doesn't work most of the time. This 4 night stay took between Interval (hate them too, but that's another story) and WG 4 hours over a 2 day period to book.
One more thing, if I hear " I'm sorry, I hope you enjoy you're stay" I more time, I will scream. Everyone says it like they are robots!!

• Stayed February 2013
We appreciate the feedback on your vacation experience in our resort. I truly apologize we did not meet your expectation on your latest family vacation. We will review your experience and strive to ensure this type of incident does not occur. We value your comments, and we hope to have you and your family provide us another opportunity to making your vacation a memorable one
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Purchased room on another site
..3.5 stars like tripadvisor. Rooms were like stepping back in time...
.1989.....crappy tube tv..
No wifi for VVE building my whole time there...staff initially sent me to the wrong room....unable to get in my room later with my key. Would not refund 30 resort fee which was supposed to cover wifi.....thisis no more than a 2 star hotel....

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced while you were here. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the resort at 407-396-8523 to speak to one of our Property Managers.
Dade City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family and I have been Disney passholders for years and we were planning on visited Epcot this past Saturday. We decided at the last minute to book a hotel somewhere to stay Friday night and be right at Epcot for Saturday. I used the iPad app HotelTonight and booked a room at Westgate Town Center for a ridiculously great price. After booking I decided to head over here to Trip Advisor and read some reviews on the place. After reading some negative reviews I started to regret my decision of booking a room here. Many of the reviews said because it was a timeshare that they had to meet with 4 different people before they could get their keys, that they were basically harassed about going on a tour of the grounds. Upon check in, none of this happened to me. It was a very smooth process. We got our keys and someone showed us to our room. When we walked in the room, if I remember correctly, I dropped my bag from shock. The room was absolutely beautiful. For the price I paid I was expecting something small. This room had a master bedroom, full size living room, kitchenette, and a HUGE bathroom. We absolutely loved it here and plan on coming back. The ONLY negative thing I have to say about the room is noise. At about 6am the family in the room next to us decided to leave. They slammed the door and were dropping things. It woke everyone of us in the room up. I literally jumped up because I thought someone had fallen in the bathroom. I was 30 seconds away from opening the door and telling them to be quiet. Other than that this last minute stay was amazing!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Town Center, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate your compliments. We are very glad to hear your stay was pleasant. Our rooms are very spacious and meant to accommodate you and your guests comfortably during your vacation. Here at Westgate Town Center, we strive for every guest to have a relaxing, yet very fun, time with us at the resort. We are pleased you had a nice stay in your room and went to the parks and also had an enjoyable time. We do offer free shuttle service to Universal, SeaWorld, and Epcot (from Epcot you can utilize Disney's free internal transportation). We hope to see you again in the future as we always welcome you and your family back. Thank you again for your feedback.
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

As owners we stayed in connection to an Owners Event Stay and Cruise, Another big Westgate Orlando property but like the others well looked after and maintained. We had a couple of small issues but taken care of with focus on service. We stayed in Building 5000 right next to the main building that was central to all that was needed. Only real issue was that there was mildew like smell in the hallway of the 7th floor. Not in the rooms but in the elevator hallway. The 1 bedroom deluxe room was HUGE!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are pleased your stay went well. Concerning the issues with the smell on the 7th floor, we apologize for that inconvenience and we will make sure the correct department heads are aware of that situation and that it is taken care of. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We also thank you for your other compliments. We hope you can visit again in the future. We look forward to seeing you. Thank you again for your feedback.
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

First of all, I have to say I'm big into reviews. Unfortunately I booked this trip on the spur of the moment and didn't review it....my fault! This is going to be long and detailed. We are timeshare owners at a Marriott and absolutely love it. As part of our exchange company, Interval International, we received a bonus week/accomodation certificate for an incredibly cheap week at any available resort. We made a last minute decision to use the week before it expired and the only properties available were 5 Westgate locations in the Orlando area. It was going to be my kids birthday week so I let them view all 5 properties and pick which Westgate looked the best. They choose the Westgate Town Center. They were excited because the place had "tons of ammenities" and really nice rooms. They couldn't wait to miniature golf, ride bicycles, use the paddle boats, ping pong, etc. I looked at the Interval International website and looked over the pictures and ammenities before I booked it and agreed with my kids that it was going to be a great place.
We arrived 4 days later on a Saturday at approximately 6 p.m. The lobby was HUGE and we had to go stand in line between those little ropes like you do at Disneyland that weave around. Surprisingly it moved fairly quickly but I was amazed at all of the energy in the room. They were playing like a hip hop, dance music mix and some of the employees were even grooving out. When we got to the counter the girl assigned us our room number and told us to go to the next station to receive our VIP passes (we had no idea what those were or whey we were supposedly getting them). The next girl told us that we could pick them up the next day during a free lunch that they offered. We are timeshare owners and we are very aware of when we book timeshare presentations. Needless to say, they booked us at a presentation in a very deceiving way by telling us to arrive at Noon, have lunch and just pick up our VIP passes. I'll come back to this topic later. After we met with her we went to our room. I almost dropped dead when I walked in. I felt like I walked into my parents Florida home back in 1986...everything was seafoam green and mauve, the kitchens were pure white with white formica and all of the beds were so incredibly low to the ground. They reminded me of the old school waterbeds but they were on a platform or something. We turned right around and marched back to the front desk. I explained to the girl that these were not even close to the pictures displayed on the Interval International website. She assigned us a new room and said that it was "updated." She had one of the employees take us to the room to view it and see if it would suffice. So, we enter room #2....same exact room EXCEPT it had white kitchen cabinets with granite countertops. It still had the same 80's decor. After our 3rd trip down to the front desk, they actually gave us a room that looked like what we booked. Updated, modern and more similiar to what we are use to when we stay at our home resort and other Marriotts. The crazy thing was that on the Interval website they didn't even show old, out of date rooms.
Once we had dinner I opened the laundry closet in the kitchen which had a stackable front loader washer and dryer. I opened the washer and was appalled when the entire rubber sealant ring was covered completely in black mold. (I wish I would have taken a picture of this). I am aware that this can happen because I own a front loader and when you are done doing laundry you must keep the door open to air it out or else mold develops. I'm not sure who made the genius idea to put a front loader in a tiny little closet that almost always has the door closed. My husband called housekeeping and asked for someone to come up in addition to the housekeeping manager. They came within 30 minutes and scrubbed the life out of that machine with bleach and a scrub brush. Some came off but they told me that the rubber seal was stained. They apologized profusely and did their best. They were both very kind.
While housekeeping was still in our room the phone rang and it was someone from the front desk asking us if left our water running. I told them that I was running water for the bathtub and they said that they received calls from our surrounding "neighbors" that the water was running for a long time (super huge tubs). That proves that everyone else's remarks are true about thin walls and no insulation. It was a nuisance all week but we travel with sound machines and blarred those while we slept to drown out the noise.
After a decent night's sleep we went to get our "free lunch" and pick up our VIP passes. About 5 minutes after being there we realized that we were tricked into a time share presentation. When we tried to get out of it they told us that without receiving our VIP passes we wouldn't have access to any of the ammenities except the pools. WHAT?! Are you kidding me? We travel A LOT...we actually pulled our kids out of school this year to travel the world and have stayed at numerous hotels and have never been told that we don't have ammenities privileges included with our paid nights stay. Of course the whole reason we booked this place was because of our kids excitement about everything there was to do on site. We were not happy but proceeded to give up 2 1/2 hours of our life so our kids could enjoy the ammenities that they saw on the website. We were dropped off at the buffet lunch which included hot dogs, white rice, something that resembled chili and stale tortilla chips. There were fountain drinks but after trying 3 different varieties and all that came out was water I gave up. We all passed on the food and attempted to jump into the presentation to get it over. The lady that did our presentation was very sweet, but she barely spoke English. She even apologized for her heavy accent. The whole trip was starting to get comical. We obviously told her that we weren't interested. At this point we weren't even there 24 hours and it was a miserable start, there was no way I would want to spend money on this place! They did give us our VIP passes which granted us the ability to ride bikes, use the paddle boats, miniature golf, tetherball, etc.
Later that day we went to the pool. There are 14 pools and jacuzzis. Pool #14 was closest to our building so we went there. The pool was clean and super warm! I decided to go soak in the jacuzzi. I walked in the super hot water and sat down and noticed right away that there was all kinds of "stuff" floating around. Everything from leaves, hair, fuzz, probably dead skin cells. Yuck. I ran out and prayed that I wouldn't catch anything from the short minute I sat in it. The jets didn't work on that jacuzzi either so something was up with it. I agree with the other reviewers that this place would be better off with 3 or 4 exceptional pools that are cared for properly than 14 that are just mediocre and not always completely up to par. After staying there for a week, we figured out that all of the pools appeared to be clean as well as jacuzzi 12 and 1...the other jacuzzis were very cloudy or not up to par on the filtering.
Overall cleanliness....not so great. Even though we had an "updated room", there were 2 drawers in the kitchen where the front of the drawers were falling off. The kitchen cabinets appear to be wood but they are like a huge sticker....almost like wood grain contact paper. The moldy washer was a big turn off, but our sheets had black marks on them and holes in them. The white down comforter was all yellowed along the edge and one had a huge black spot, almost like a black sharpie leaked on it or a ball point pen. The one shower had mold in it. The sliding glass door that led out to the patio took every bit of energy to open. Even though the room was updated the sliding door was so old. They give you some dish washing detergent, laundry soap etc., but it's some off brand like "sudsy clean", "gentle wash." The bedrooms had vertical blinds opposed to black out curtains so the Florida sunshine came beaming in every morning even though we attempted to hang extra blankets over the blinds to block out the light. I can't remember ever staying in a hotel that did't have black out curtains. One other thing that was just horrible was that people would leave their trash bags in the hallway. We were very close to the elevator so it seems like there was other people's trash was right outside our door. Trash chutes would be nice. There are little dumpsters in each building's parking lot but I think the general population was too lazy to walk it down there.
My husband was doing some business while visiting so he had an overnight Fed Ex envelope sent to the resort. He received confirmation that it arrived at 10:30 a.m. As soon as he received the confirmation he went down to the lobby to pick it up. They wouldn't give it to him until one of the workers signed off on it. My husband said it was time sensitive and that he needed to get it right away. They told him that he was on break and should be in soon. An hour later he got the package. Totally ridiculous customer service.
There's a game room on site that my kids loved even though it was incredibly overpriced. We probably dropped $200 there which would have been $100 at Chuck E Cheese or Dave and Busters. Oh well, they had fun. One night we went to the on site Hershey's shop to get ice cream. We stood at the counter for almost a minute and the girl working didn't say a word to us. My husband finally asked, "Are you open?" She replied, "yes and still didn't ask offer to help us." Just very odd. We got our ice cream, 2 of the flavors were so soft and soupy that we had to get a bowl and the other 1 was fine.
Once we got our VIP passes we did enjoy using the ammenities, but I have to just tell you one more thing at this resort that is just "off." One of the privileges is that you can rent/borrow a tetherball. Once you get the tetherball you have to drive over to the tetherball court to attach the ball and play. We had to laugh when we got there. The pole was about 10 feet tall and you had to attach it at the very top of the pole. There was no way to possibly or physically do it. Why in the world would they have this as an ammenity when it's not even useable? Couldn't they at least put a step stool out there or something?! Strange.
I have to admit we love to vacation and do it A LOT. I'm always sad when our check out day arrives but not this time. I was glad we were away as a family, but I really couldn't wait to get out of this place. Everything was just "off". I feel like they have made this place so large and want to offer so much but instead of keeping it more of a manageable size and make it awesome, it's supersized and just so so. I also must say that almost no one speaks English fluently at this resort. I felt like I was on an island. If you want an island experience but can't afford it go here. Three years ago we stayed at the Westgate Resort and Spa in Park City, Utah and had a fabulous experience. The Westgate Town Center was completely opposite and I think it doesn't have the same standards and the clientele doesn't demand the standards. This place was like putting lipstick on a pig, in the end...it's still a pig. We won't be going back. If you're use to nicer accomodations and awesome customer service, look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced while you were here. More importantly, I would like to apologize for the manner in which they were handled. Our goal is to accommodate our guests above and beyond their expectations, especially when they are experiencing an issue on property. I do apologize that this didn’t take place during your vacation. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the resort at 407-396-8523 to speak to one of our Resort Managers.
Suffolk County, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I’m writing this letter with much frustration. I anticipated that when we bought our timeshare with WestGate in 2008 that we would be adding quality to our life. Instead, this has been the worst experience I’ve had in terms of vacationing. The information that we were given then, made it hard for us to understand how it worked to use our WestGate resort. We had never exchanged our timeshare for use somewhere else simply because we were never given the right information. Finally in 2010, I decided that we should go on a cruise. I contacted Interval International first, who told me that I had to call WestGate to deposit my week. I then did that, which at the time, in order to deposit my week, I had to pay the maintenance fee before I could deposit my week. All along, every year we are spending money towards a vacation that is never going to happen. In 2008, we spent money to buy into WestGate. Then we spent money to join interval international and of course was encouraged to upgrade to a gold member. After we were contacted by WestGate cruise and travel and then were encouraged to become a lifetime member. Money, Money, Money.
As I was saying, I deposited my week in 2010 for a cruise, then a few months after I called I.I to try to obtain a cruise, and I was told that the person that deposited my week did not deposit it correctly and it was unable to be used towards a cruise. So in the meantime, in 2009, we vacationed in Las Vegas, not through WestGate, I booked our vacation through Travelocity. In 2010, we went on a cruise, not through WestGate, I booked through Carnival Cruise Line directly. In 2011, we vacationed in Washington D.C., not through WestGate, again I booked through Travelocity. Finally at the beginning of 2012, I decided to give this WestGate vacation a chance again because we decided to go back to Disney since we haven’t been since 2008. I had no problem arranging a reservation for our 2012 vacation at our home resort. The months leading up to the vacation at WestGate, I was contacted often and felt so excited about the vacation.
Then we arrived, it was one nightmare after the other. We had a late check-in because our flight was delayed 5 hours and I called to let the reservation department know. When we arrived, we were told that the room that we have, the lock-off unit was not available. I told them that was unacceptable and demanded the room that we have been paying for all these years. We were taken to a room that was a handicapped room and it was loud and the door bell had a screeching sound along with lights that would flash. I called the front desk and told them that I would like to be switched and they told me I would be switched first thing in the morning. Well by 11am, we had not heard from the front desk, so we went there and was given a hassle to have my room switched and was told that there were no rooms available and that we would have to wait until after 4pm. I informed them at the front desk that it was unacceptable and a manager finally had our room switched as soon as possible. After that, no fault of WestGate’s, there was a tornado the whole week which ruined the vacation. Then, in the midst of that, F.A called and said she was our representative and she would handle all our travel needs forever into the future. All we had to do was call her, and let her know where we wanted to go and she would take care of it. We were given a few vouchers for food for our inconvenience, which we greatly appreciated.
So, F.A. set up a meeting to talk about things and of course what happens, we upgraded because my husband felt like it was a good price and now that F.A. said all we have to do is make one call to her and our travel arrangements would be handled, he thought it’s a no-brainer. I told him, it sounds too good to be true, which it ended up being too good to be true. We were never able to get in touch with F.A. after we came back and in the meantime, my daughter planned a trip to Puerto Rico with her friends, which she booked through travelzoo.
The reason I’m writing this letter today is because my frustration is mounting. I wanted to find out how I can go about getting information on a cruise exchange for August 2013 and in the space of 4 hours and numerous phone calls to WG travel and cruise, WG town center, and I.I., I was finally helped on the 4th hour. All I wanted to do was find out approximately, how much money I need to pay if I deposited my week for a cruise this year. WG travel and cruise, of course, wanted me to upgrade to a platinum membership. Are you kidding me?! I’m supposed to spend more money just to find out information. After my second call to I.I., I finally spoke to Cindy who calmed me down and gave me the information I needed. She was exceptional!!
How can I comfortably recommend WestGate to anyone when I’ve never had a pleasurable experience? I realize after speaking with everyone that a cruise exchange is not worth it, now I’m on a search to figure out how I can get the most of our vacation for our kids without going to the same boring place. I have no help in figuring that out. I feel like WestGate is a waste of money. I get more information waiting on Travelzoo’s top 20 vacation offers every week.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Town Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize your stay was not up to your standards. We strive for every guest and especially our owners to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay. We regret the stress you experienced with trying exchange through Interval International. Unfortunately, since they are a separate company at the resort we cannot do much with exchanging. However, we can always point you in the right direction of who can better assist you and do whatever we can to help you if needed. Our Owner's Corporate Call Center is always a good place to call for any questions or concerns you may have for future reservations or exchanges. When you call the Owner's corporate number they also have an option for booking a cruise. They can assist you with the cruise you would like to take in August of this year. Again we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to go beyond your anticipations.

Been to Westgate Town Center? Share your experiences!