“Great Economy motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Continental Plaza Hotel

You added Continental Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Continental Plaza Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7785 West US Highway 192, Kissimmee, FL 34747 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Ranked #70 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Great Economy motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was worried about my stay at this motel after reading reviews. Once I arrived though I was more than happy with my choice of accomodations. I knew it was a budget hotel and was only expecting that. It was simple, great location. The shuttle service (free) was on time (give or take 10 mins) to the theme parks. Breakfast is only toast, 2 choices of cereal, jam, ornage juice & coffee. I was perfectly content with the selection. I 'm not a huge eater so I did'nt need a nasty greasy morning breakfast. The orange juiced was bad & watered down, but I only drank coffee which was good. I was unable to purchase base theme park tix at the hotel so I did so at the park itself. My room was 231 it was always clean, shower worked fine, lots of hot water, no bugs, everything worked. The room was supplied with a iron & board, soaps & shampoos, plenty of towels which were replenished every day. plastic cups, ice bucket. For me this was the perfect budget hotel with no perks. I would definietly stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We went to Orlando to visit Disneyworld so although I wasn't too impressed with the hotel itself, the extremely competitive rate and location of the Continental Plaza hotel is why I'd recommend it.
-Quiet

Pros:
- The hotel was good value. The room was spacious and there were laundry amenities
- Free breakfast. It's VERY simple, so basic cereals, toast, orange juice and tea and coffee. You can have as much as you like so it will get you through a day of theme-parking
- It's really close to Disneyworld (10 minute trip). The hotel also offers a free shuttle to Disneyworld, Universal Studios and Sea World. The catch is you have to go at specific times - when we went, the shuttle departed for EPCOT at at 8.10am and there was a later shuttle at noon. To get back to the hotel, make sure that you get to the pick-up point on time. Shuttles depart Magic Kingdom at 7pm and 10.45pm. The shuttle can get pretty full as it does pick up guests from other hotels along the way and the Continental Plaza is one of the later stops. Being dropped home first is a big advantage though, and you don't have to waste time meandering around as the shuttle goes from hotel to hotel. If you get Giovanni as a driver, be sure to have a chat to him! He's a real character :)
-Its located off the 192 and there's a grocery store and Walgreens for your everyday needs, a fruit stall (with AMAZING oranges), all you can eat buffets and fast food options within walking distance. I would not recommend the Golden China buffet on the same property as the hotel.
-Guest Services in the lobby sells discounted tickets to a fair few of Orlando's attractions at a discounted price, and you can see back your used portion of your tickets to them. You can get tickets to most of the theme parks anywhere in Orlando really.

Cons:
-As soon as I entered the room, I was hit my a strange (and rather unpleasant) musty smell. I think it came from the air conditioner. We didn't use the air con throughout our stay and tried to air out our room as much as possible so towards the end of our stay, the smell was less overpowering.
-The bed and the pillows were lumpy
-I do not rate the maid service very highly. A few of my things were thrown away and I came back one time to see the bin bag on my things (probably left there by accident when the maid was changing the bin liner). Ew!
- The shower is really hard to use and seems to be stuck on a needle setting.
- The towels are pretty threadbare
- The wifi only works in the lobby. But it is free.

If you're flying to Orlando, make sure to check out the Mears Shuttle Service to and from the airport if you're looking to save some money by using a shared shuttle service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Milford, Ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

This is the 4th time we have stayed at this hotel within the last six years. One thing that was great was the weather! By all accounts, we picked one of the warmer weeks of the winter down in Florida. We usually travel there during the third week of January but I decided to go a week later this year. As for the hotel, last year we were bothered by tiny little bugs on the ground floor but this year we didn't see any (Rm.125). The maid service was very good on a daily basis unless we left the "Do not disturb" sign on the door while we were out. Check in was very fast as we pre-paid thru Expedia. The room was very clean and smelled ok. The pool was once again very warm and clean. Cannot comment on the continental breakfast as we never eat it. We had our own car and did not use the hotel shuttle. There is a Dunkin Donuts about a quarter of a mile down the road, a nice ten minute walk down 192 East. We don't go to Disney, just enjoying Florida and visiting friends but the hotel is very close to the Disney entrances. There is free Wi-Fi but the wife said it was slow. The only quirk is that you have to pay a quarter for a bucket of ice which most hotels give for free! All in all, a little better than previous years and I will definitely be back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

We arrived at hotel at 1pm was told to come back at 3 because no rooms were available at that time. Our room had a musty smell, and when we woke the next morning there were ants on bathroom floor and on bathrooom walls. When we went to the front desk they told us it was because of us having sweets in room of which we had none. Maintenace came and sprayed floor and when we woke the next morning there were ants on nightstand, dresser, bathroom walls and shower. After 3 days they finally moved us to another room which smelled better, but woke up to find more ants in the bathroom we called the front desk again they blamed us on our sweets which we still had none and they came and sprayed walls, floors, shower and under and behind all furniture and finally on 4th day of our 7 day trip finally no ants . The breakfast is a joke of cold cereal and toast, no clock in room and staff is very unprofessional one of which was sleeping in back room and you had to bang on the side door to get him to come to the desk yawning and rubbing his eyes. I would definatly not stay here again.....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

Got a great deal off of expedia to stay here for 6 days. Room was okay, worn but very clean. Here is where my problem lies. There is no fridge in the room, there is no coffee in the room, the safe in the room doesn't work. No alarm clock in the room. I mean what hotel have you ever been to where there wasn't a clock? They even charge to get ice for your room, $0.25cents. Also when I went to the lobby to get quarters so I could have a cold drink he told me he didn't have any. It was truly unreal. But they do give you free wi-fi, so that's something. The pool is nice and clean. It is located on 192 which is close to everything which is nice but I would say to stay somewhere else, somewhere with basic amenities for the same budget price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Kuna, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

First, I need to say that I have actually stayed at this hotel in the past, and it was awesome. Either the owners have changed, or noone actually cares anymore about quality of service, but I can tell you, the place has turned for the worst.
I do have to say that the room was kept as clean as possible, however we were shorted towels on three occasions. The beds were fine, the shower was hot, and other than that there is really nothing good to say about it.

You will be charged $2.00 per day no matter how your package was booked for amenities you will probably never use. The "in-room safe" is an extra. There is no real "Continental Breakfast", unless you consider white bread, English muffins (not always there), one type of cereal, coffee and juice sufficient. On my past stay, I can say they put out an awesome spread including eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. I know that the times have changed, but not that much.

The hotel as a whole needs refurbishment. The A/C unit worked only occasionally, the building is beaten and rusted on the walkways. Even the numerous Anoles which used to be present daily in the a.m. have abandoned this place. Since we really only used it for a bed, shower and a wake-up call I guess it served the general purpose.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

In September 2010 my partner and I stayed at this hotel for the duration of the month and I can safely say it was the BEST holiday we've ever had, that would be due to the fact we'd always wanted to go to the states particularly Florida to visit the parks and live the American dream!

The hotel didn't really play a part in making the holiday the best though, that was down to our days out, the food, and the experience we had in that amazing country.

Regarding the hotel it is mediocre, there is nothing major to rant and rave about but there is no reason to have a toast to the hotels memory either.

We spent 26 nights at the CPH and the first problem we had was with the fridge, the knob which was needed to adjust the temp was missing so we reported this to reception but nothing was done about it so we made do.

Second problem was the cleaner, we had a name and contact details written on a napkin and the cleaner bizarrely saw fit to throw this away! Whether she was practising for the Orlando Magic I don't know but I left a note out questioning whether she had seen it or mistakenly thrown it away and later that evening when my girlfriend and I arrived back to the room this note had also vanished without a trace! Needless to say when we left we didn't leave a tip.

Be warned, the hotel charges a standard fee of $2 a night so after being there for the month this was a considerable amount we had to hand over, this goes towards air conditioning, pool towels and the "free continental breakfast & internet", the latter three of which we didn't even use. Originally we had breakfast at the hotel only for a couple of days which was a basic cereal and toast but we decided to invest in some worthy fun cereals and snacks for our room so we wouldn't have to get up extra early each morning to eat before getting the free bus.

This brings me on to my next warning, the free shuttle buses, these times were absolutely daft, the only pick up for Universal was 7.30am and then you have the pleasure of stopping off at all the other hotels for collections and then the pick up from Universal isn't until 19.30pm! It's not so bad at Universal because when the parks shut you have shops, bars and restaurants at CityWalk to keep you busy.

As for SeaWorld this is the same shuttle as Universal so you arrive at SeaWorld before the park opens, and when the park closed at 6pm we had a nice 75 minute wait until we got picked up, that's if the bus was on time which it usually wasn't.

Disney pick ups were slightly better, we had a 7.30am and 12.30pm pick up from the CPH and the collections from Disney were 17.45pm, 20.45pm and 22.15pm but when there are shows to see in the evening which masses of people go to, the shuttle times were very touch and go as to whether you would make it back in time to get the bus after having to battle through all the departing crowds!

The irritating thing with getting the shuttle back to was each time we were the second from last to be dropped off so while you may get back to your strip in good time you have an additional 15 minutes waiting for drop offs. Sometimes driver's even stopped off uneccessarily because they didn't even check who was getting dropped off where.

The hotel is in a good location, we ate somewhere different each night due to the vast choice of eateries. There are plenty of gift shops too for any souvenirs you may wish to take home.

There are supermarkets nearby, across the road and up the road so if you do want to stock up on supplies you don't have far to go. For UK travellers like us, the roads are absolutely huge so be prepared for a walk each time you do want to go out for a nibble unless of course you have a car which we didn't.

As for staff friendliness, it was nothing to write home about, a few grunts was the most you could expect and there was one particular occassion when we received a call from home and the message wasn't even passed on to us from reception!

Our room on the recommended Third Floor was clean and tidy, free of bugs beside from the odd spider, it had a fridge/freezer, microwave, tv, ample sized drawers for all of our clothes and also a safe and an iron.

There was a pool which was unsupervised which may not be good if you're travelling with children but it was a nice temperature and did the job if you wanted a quick dip to cool off.

This is a good hotel to stay at if like us you are travelling on a budget and aren't too fussy, but if you are expecting five star treatment this isn't the place for you! The CPH will certainly suffice for a stay because sleeping was really the only time we spent at the hotel as we were out all day at the parks etc.

Hopefully this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Continental Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!