“Terrible experience with staff.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort

You added Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   8505 W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy., Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card!
Ranked #18 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Valdosta
“Terrible experience with staff.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am not one to complain, but I cannot believe this treatment from such a typically wonderful resort

My wife and have been to Orange Lake several time with family members who are owners. We have had mostly wonderful experiences up until this trip. I should have taken the hint when I called to confirm our trip including our "property tour" and was treated like a 3 year old begging for candy at the store when I tried to move our tour time. As a reward for taking the tour we were to receive $140 food and drink vouchers. I explained to the staff member that since our tour was scheduled at the end of our trip we would not have time to use our vouchers. She confirmed to me that I would be able to put food charges on my room and then apply the vouchers toward these charges at the end of our stay..(bad information)

but first...... The Tour

The tour was nice and our salesman was nice at first...as the tour continued and we indicated to him that we would not be purchasing property at this time because we pay for everything in full with cash and do not finance anything he began to lecture us on how young and ignorant we were to do this. My wife and I are 26 years old, so we are young, but we did nothing to deserve being spoke down to for 2+ hrs. It was awful to have to put up with such a verbally abusive salesman. We finally got out of this "Jail-time" after 4 1/2 hrs (supposed to only last 120 minutes tops). They wasted an entire half of a day while managing to treat us like juvenile delinquents.

So.. we finished the tour and went to the front desk to apply our vouchers toward our dinner 2 nights before, come to find we could not do that. The vouchers had to be used at the time of your dinner. I indicated that I was told differently and was asked to go see resorts services. The first lady I spoke with at resorts services told me that they have nothing to do with this and I needed to speak to someone in Marketing. She connected me to a marketing employee with the phone at the waiting table. The marketing employee told me she could not do anything and the person I needed to speak to was not at their desk and they would call me back to clear things up. They also indicated I might be able to speak to someone at the front desk. I thanked her told her to have the manager call me.

Went to the front desk explained the situation and was told I needed to speak to the manager that was in an interview currently but should be available in 30 minutes.

I came back 30 minutes later to find the manager gone again. The staff told me they would leave a message and have the manager call me to figure things out.

Yes that is 2 managers that are supposed to have called me....Never heard from either!!!

We decided to give up for the night since we had off site plans for the evening.

The next morning we went to the front desk and finally was able to speak with a manager who told me they could not do anything that I needed to talk to marketing again.
I called marketing again and again! was told a manager would have to call me back because they were not available. Never heard back from this manager either!!!

about an hour later, I was so fed up I asked to be directed to the office of the CEO (which I still plan to write a letter to) I was directed back to resort services where we met Jodi

Jodi was the only helpful staff member we came in contact with during this escapade! She promptly called marketing spoke to 3-4 people and got a member of management almost immediately. She told him the situation and allowed me to speak to John. John was not helpful in the least. He blamed everything on me saying I should have known I couldn't use the vouchers retroactively (when his staff told me I clearly could!) In the end he would not do anything to help so I asked him to please make sure he trains his staff better so Guests do not end up in this position again.

So we left with $100 worth of food vouchers that expire in a month and no solution to our problem after countless hours of being tossed from member to member and being promised returned calls.....It was a terrible experience that I would have never expected from such a typically great resort.

I'm not sure that we will every return and I would never recommend Orange Lake to anyone again

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent Orange Lake Resort experience. We can’t thank you enough for staying with us and taking the time to tour our resort. Set at 90 minutes, these optional tours are a great way to find out about the resorts amenities and what vacation ownership can do for the way you vacation in the future. We apologize if our tour ran long and for any mix-up that resulted with your compensation gifts. In an attempt to find out more about your specific situation, we have attempted to contact you through private message. Our tours are set at 90 minutes. However, based on your level of interest, they can run over as our sales team is willing to spend as much time as possible with you to help you make an informed vacation ownership decision. We apologize if you felt that your concerns were not met with care that our guests have come to expect from our staff. We look forward to hearing from you, in an attempt to show you how much fun vacationing with us can be.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (901)
  • Polish first
Blackwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

First of all let me tell you we now own two one week timesharies at Orange Lake Resort & Golf, both are two bedroom and two bathrooms. One is the first week in Feb. and the second is 4th of July week. As a single or a couple or the whole family this place is great. There is so much to do there with four golf courses and a lot of swimming pools, at least eight although we have only gone to three. You don't have to leave but if you do there's Disney World about ten minutes down the road and Sea World about thirty minutes away. You can rent a week-end or a week but the best thing to do is call and see what kind of deal they have going.

Room Tip: We have one timeshare in the West Village and one in the East Village, both are great, it all depend...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Let me start by saying ,if you love America you will love orange lake it is top of the range everything ,it is ideally placed for Disney world ,Epcot and animal kingdom is right next door ,universal studios ,discovery cove ,orlando is a short drive away ,the resort has a range of accommodation but the basic in my opinion is top of the range and top of the range is out of this world ,I enjoyed 3weeks of heaven here ,Kennedy space centre is a bit of a trek but well worth it ,as is Busch gardens ,there's a nice little town called celebration nearby ,very quaint ,there are all the major supermarkets close by ,e.g Walmart ,target ,Walgreens is right over the road from the entrance ,there are security patrols constantly ,there are also resort buses that take you where you want(free) I might add ,the pool at west village is great and family entertainment throughout the day in season ,there are other parts to the resort you can take advantage of like the north village has a lazy river a river shaped pool around a kilometre long to float around on a rubber ring with a current pushing you around ,(bliss on the really hot days ) ,with holiday inn we went down to Miami for a few days ,really really nice ,a long drive but well worth the experience ,
A real family resort ,wherever you are staying on the resort they have a local pool nice and quiet ,seeing is believing so glad we purchased here well worth the lifetime of holidays we have had and are still having all round the world I might add .
Why not you work hard and deserve it .

Room Tip: No need to do anything as all apartments are extremely spacious we'll equipped and very comforta...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Wow, thank you so much for your review. We couldn't be happier that you were able to enjoy your time around the resort. Also, congratulations on your vacation ownership purchase. We are sure that it will help you make vacation memories for years to come. You give great advice about the best ways to enjoy your time around the resort. You definitely deserve time out for yourself and your family to relax, and now you have so many fun getaways to look forward to.
Erie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my first visit to this resort for a week and loved it. The grounds and rooms are beautiful but wanted to let people know of the tour(sales pitch). They will sign you up for the appointment for the tour at checkin which after traveling on the road for 12 hrs was the last thing I wanted to do. If you do not go to the tour(sales pitch) they will charge you $30 on your room when you checkout and you cannot get it back. The resort is very kid friendly as they have alot for kids to do so be sure and check out all what is on the property for kids. The customer service is a little lacking in the caring dept but it is a great family place. I would def recommend this to families. Oh The washer and dryers are full size which does help with the laundry. I would love to go back to this resort again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Welcome home from your first visit with us. We’re so glad to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy your time with us. You are correct that our tour agents are available at the time of check-in to help you book a tour. However, these tours are not for everyone and always 100% completely optional. We do hold a fully refundable deposit for those guests who do tour with us, to hold your personal sales representative. We urge you to let us know if you have any issues with this deposit. We would love to host you back again as much as you would like to come. Don’t be a stranger.
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

parents (owners) invited us for family vacation and we had a great time. the resort is huge and beautiful. rooms were spacious, the employees aimed to please and it was easy to get around. I hope were invited again soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
How great that you were able to vacation with your parents for a getaway. We couldn’t be happier to hear that you all enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff made you feel welcome. We love hearing from our guests about their vacations. We hope they invite you back again soon as well.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have stayed at Orange lake at least 12 times since the late 90's. Yes it is a time share and by the size of the place anyone with any sense will know they must SELL!! to pay for the huge expansions. Many negatives on this site are simply unfair:

The alleged smell from the woodland/ Animal kingdom i have smelt this but find it funny that people complain about it and then claim this resort is nowhere near Disney. if you turned one of a handful of the golf holes 90 degrees you would be on Animal kingdom property).

Restaurant service has always been poor at times but no worse than some other restaurants in the area. However, food is well overpriced but aren't a lot of onsite hotel restaurants.

Sales technique is heavy but if you just ignore the phone calls (rare that they call when i am in i normally just dlete messages), and state when asked at check in that you are simply not interested or as i tell them not in the financial position to buy further then it doesn't impact the holiday.

Lots of resort pools and in my numerous experience's always well maintained and clean.
Golf is a little more expensive than i would like during the day for owners and to pay for a ride along is unjustified especially when it is the same or more expensive than the player in the evenings.

Complaints of lizards or bugs is just plain funny. Infestations aside If you have a problem with them maybe you should remember where in the world you are your not in a cold European country but a warm tropical one with lots of close woodland.

On all our visits we have never really found the place dirty. Frequently we have seen areas closed while regualr refurbs are carried out. I guess in a place this big with so many staff there will be issues regarding the quality of staffing and attention to detail but it has never affected my trips.

My pet hate in Orange Lake is the cashless system in place away from the reception area cash is not accepted as payment and only card payment is accepted. This should really be amended if your staff can't be trained to accept genuine cash or travellers cheques then they shouldn't be operating a till. Even if it was adjusted to a card only if value of transaction is over $30-$50 it ould be a huge improvement.

In summary the resort has a number of areas that can be improved mainly the sales technique and staff attitudes on the RARE occassions things don't go perfectly. I have enjoyed my many visits and will continue to keep returning. When travelling to the US it is the long queue at passport control, baggage collection and rental car companies that fills me with dread rather than the hard sell at check in. JUST SAY NO THANK YOU!!

Room Tip: Best views overlook golf course
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Prestwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My friend is an owner and we stayed in 2 x 2 bedroom villas at the resort in the West Village with a group of 8 for a golf week. Our rooms were very nicely furnished and clean. It's a lovely place to stay in Florida, with loads to do and brilliant to for relaxing days off from the golf courses. Staff impeccable and resort looks pleasing on the eye. It is a cashless resort and you have to use your room key to purchase anything on the resort a real bonus not having to carry money or a credit card around with you.
The units are all comfortable and have well stocked kitchens. Plenty of towels and sheets and washer dryer are a bonus. They supply laundry soap and dishwasher soap as well as tea towels and J cloth. Grocery store (Publix) is at one entrance and Target is about 1/2 mile down the road. Plenty of restaurants’ just outside the gate with a new Miller bar close by.
There are a few signs of maintenance needs that are to be expected with a venue this size. We had a blocked waste disposal which was fixed in a couple of hours. The resort is so central to all attractions, 1/2 hour from SeaWorld and Disney depending on traffic. Universal was about 40 minutes away. Overall, it would be really great for families; children definitely have a lot to keep them occupied and the onsite shuttles are a great asset.

Room Tip: West Village is more for adults
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Welcome home from your Golf week with friends. We hope that all of you had a great time. We are honored to have had the ability to play host to you and your friends. You give a great account of what it’s like to stay with us. We want all of our guests to feel like they are staying at their home-away-from –home. We’re pleased you took advantage of our cashless system, so many of our guests find it an added bonus like you did. We appreciate you letting our staff know of any issues that encountered during your stay. We’re always here to help. Let us know when we can host you again for more golf fun.

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!