You added Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   8505 W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy., Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card!
Ranked #15 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Windsor, Canada
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a week... i'd recommend this place to anybody. We rented a 2 bedroom condo/room for family of 4 + grandmother. We were amazed at how clean and well maintained the room, building, pools, arcades, change areas, bathrooms were. There was so much for our kids to do they didn't know what to do first. We loved the pools. We spent most of our time at the main pool just behind the registration but spent at least a day at the others. Kids enjoyed the small slide at the pool just down the street and adults loved the fact this pool was a bit warmer than the others and had basketball nets and tennis courts close by.

Our room was spotless when we arrived. There was lots of room in bathrooms and bedrooms. Plenty of space for young kids to play in the room at night and in the mornings. We cooked a few nights in the room's full kitchen and did a few loads of laundry. It was convenient and a big $$$ saver.

I'd go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hey there, Bill. Thanks so much for letting us know about your recent week stay with us, and the recommendation. Nothing makes us happier than hearing about how mu hour guests were able to enjoy their vacation. Our villas are the perfect place to spread out and still spend time together on vacation, and we’re so glad that you and your family agrees. It’s great that you were able to take advantage of so many of the amenities around the resort. We hope to see you again for more fun in the sun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Polish first
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have stayed on this resort twice, once for business and once for vacation. Overall, these experiences were positive, and I would certainly return.

There are two types of units: two-bedroom apartments, and two-bedroom ground level units (the ground level units have cathedral ceilings). Both are very large, with full size bedrooms (one with an en-suite bathroom and Jacuzzi), a large, well-equipped kitchen, living room, a dining area and a screened-in porch. Every room is furnished very well, in fact I felt quite comfortable staying there for a long duration. Everything is clean and in good repair, and when there are little issues, the resort comes to fix everything immediately. The resort itself is massive, so large in fact that it is possible to be quite far away from all of the numerous amenities (multiple golf courses and pool areas). For this reason, be mindful of where your unit is located if mobility is a factor. In this respect, the resort was not very accommodating, even though I made my wishes known months in advance, and despite the fact that I am a Platinum Priority Club member. These are time-share units, so they feel compelled to accommodate owners needs first.

Because these are time-shares, one must endure the time-share sales pressures that are common in such resorts. They are particularly bad here, in fact checking in was such a long ordeal because of this. When arriving for vacation, I have a hungry and tired family waiting in the hot van for Daddy to check in. This is not the appropriate time to ask me if I've filed for bankruptcy recently. I would advise anyone NOT to mention that they are interested in buying Disney tickets during check-in, even if you do plan to purchase them through the resort. This discussion should happen another time, and is certainly not appropriate during the check-in process. Being a Platinum PC member may have been a hindrance in this case, as they ushered me to a bewildering number of unbearably nice, overly helpful people. At least a got a decent bottle of wine out of it. In the end I passed on the sales pitch; the two hours it would have taken was not actually worth the money saved on the tickets.

Another unwelcome surprise is the 30 dollar ‘portfolio fee’ (or something named to that effect). This is essentially money that they take from you, as hostage, and will only return if you attend the sales pitch. This is a rotten practice and should actually be illegal. If I misunderstand it’s purpose, it’s the fault of the staff I asked who could not give me a straight answer as to why they should do this. They will take this thirty dollars from you every time you stay until you do the sales pitch; I know this because I had been there before and they took it from me then as well.

They will also try to sell you a multi-day pass for use on the resort (at the various amenities, such as mini-golf, the lazy river, and some large hippo slide). My four children are seven and under, so many of these attractions would have been pointless for them. If you are planning to be at amusement parks most of the time during your stay, do not buy this package as it will be a complete waste of money. For 5 days, I believe it would have cost a hundred dollars. I ended paying 18 bucks one day to use the lazy river, so you see the difference.

In terms of amenities, Orange Lake is the largest resort in the Orlando area (apart from WDW of course), and is located immediately beside Walt Disney World. I can’t think of a better place for a family vacation. The six or seven pool areas range from smaller, quiet affairs to the massive River Complex, where they have restaurants, a spa, and the lazy river that winds through the entire place. It’s not quite as impressive as the one at Typhoon Lagoon, but it’s certainly cheaper to do if you children don’t mind. We in fact planned that the resorts own pool areas would replace the necessity of going to any WDW water parks (something you can get away with younger children). There are water sports and jet skis at Orange Lake itself, two mini-golf courses and several regular golf courses. Everything is connected by a shuttle bus. We did not eat at any of the restaurants, with the exception of ordering pizza at the resorts pizza place, which was actually really, really good. Compared to the Hilton Grand Vacations and the Sheraton Vistana (both resorts I've stayed at), there is so much more to offer here.

One drawback: bugs. I’ll be honest: Orange Lake has cockroaches. I've been told that these locally go by the euphemism ‘palm bug’, but they are simply cockroaches. Initially, I had observed them in a ground-level unit, and assumed that the reason why there were bugs was because it was easy for them to enter from outside into a ground-level unit. However, even on the sixth floor, we had roaches, although they were much smaller and less frequent. We are talking roaches that vary in size from about a ¼” in length (in the sixth floor unit) up to 2” in length on the ground level. The odd roach was found (individually, not in large quantities) in the living room, bathroom and bedroom. Now, I’ve lived with roaches in the past, however I have never seen a roach in a hotel room in all my travels, even in nearby resorts like the Hilton Grand and Sheraton Vistana, so I'm not sure how to explain why they are present at Orange Lake. However, I would advise not to let this fact deter anyone from visiting Orange Lake, as they are basically harmless and of little consequence. If roaches bother you, Windex is the most effective way to kill a roach, as it kills them within seconds, doesn't leave a mess, and doesn't spread their eggs. Again, I stress this was a minor irritation, and I saw no evidence of any other bugs in the resort rooms (like bed bugs, for example).

The biggest drawback for me at Orange Lake is the lack of barbecues for guests to use (management, take note, I know you are reading this). When I inquired about using a BBQ, I was told by staff that there were only a few near the West Entrance. They may as well not be there, as I'm not interested in driving there to cook my dinner (certainly not after having a few drinks). But as if to add insult to injury, they are charcoal barbecues, which makes them almost useless to the average resort guest. I know that at the Hilton Grand Vacations on International Drive they have nice covered patios with gas barbecues adjacent to each building (I've used them). It’s a great pleasure to cook outside while on vacation, and Orange Lake should know that this alone could be a deciding factor when choosing a resort. When I mentioned that other resorts had BBQ’s near the buildings, staff at Orange Lake gave a lame response about fire code not allowing BBQ’s near guest units), which was close to being insulting (as if I didn't know what I was talking about).

Again, despite the above criticisms, Orange Lake is worthwhile and enjoyable, and I will return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Falkirk UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Once again Orange Lake exceeded expectations. Since our last visit 4 years ago a few changes have occurred. Check in area light and airy and well laid out. Increased number of agents on duty made it a much easier and quicker process. Helpful and courteous staff made us feel very much at ease. Firstly allocated a ground floor apartment(not keen) so asked if could be moved- within a few minutes- despite the resort being extremely busy we were reassigned to a top floor unit(albeit it to a disability friendly unit) but this was no problem. The apartment was perfectly clean, well equipped and exceptionally comfortable. Great balcony overlooking golf course. Orange Lake has every amenity you could ask for. Golf courses, tennis courts, excellent pools, kids activities, restaurants and bars. Very friendly environment for walks at all times of day with ample street lighting for evening walks. Walking great if you want to meet people from all over the globe - as we did - had a great time trying to understand each others accents - just ask them about my Scottish tongue!!!!!!!!! River Island offers a lazy river and plenty of sun loungers together with snack bars, restaurants, shopping and mini market. Great place for kids, of all ages, to have fun. Some live entertainment makes for fun filled evenings. Oh and shuttle service a bonus for getting around the resort. Overall -despite the worst two weeks of weather we have experienced in twenty years of Florida Vacations- (Hey I am from Scotland and know what rain means!!)Orange Lake rose to the occasion and gave us a very enjoyable experience. Highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Apartments in East or North Village quiter and more modern
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thanks for much for your review. We couldn't be happier that you felt your stay and our staff exceeded your expectations. Nothing makes us happier than this, because after all that’s what we’re here for. We appreciate you letting our staff know right away of any needs you encountered during your stay, specifically a room change request. One of the best parts about a stay with us is the different people that you are able to meet from all around the world. It’s the one, big Orange Lake family. You give some great tips in your review to future travelers, and we thank you for that. We hope to see you again in the future.
Tewksbury, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I'm actually writing this as I sit here and get ready to leave tomorrow. We arrived early and was able to be checked in even though you aren't supposed to be here until 4. Immediately was offered to take the tour and receive $80 cash for doing so. We quickly declined and told them we are just here on vacation and aren't interested in a time share. Our room was clean, smelled horrible but we dealt with it. We stayed in the main building, 1 bedroom villa I guess. The bed sucks, pillows were terrible. Breezes bar was nice. We did get calls all the time for the tour and continued to deny them. The tvs are terrible! Horrible picture, crappy channels. The couch in the living area is hard as a rock and the carpets are in need of some serious cleaning. Other then that, everything was fine. Hopefully a smooth check out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi there. Thanks so much for taking time out of your vacation to let us know about your stay. We’re disappointed to hear that your stay has not lived up to all that you had hoped for. We always encourage our guests to let us know during their stay if there is anything that we can do to make it better. However, we appreciate you letting us know what we can work on in the future. We hope that the rest of your vacation was enjoyable.
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My whole family (22) stayed here. Three families in the West Village ( 2 bedroom units) and one at River Island.(3 bedroom).

This is a perfect place for families especially with children. River Island probably has the best facilities for kids. The lazy river is fun but you have to rent tubes. There isn't actually and area you can swim.

At the West Village there are two pools, Both excellent for swimming, but early in the morning as they become very crowded by midday. Temperatures range from 82-84 degrees. The hot tub is OK and usually overcrowed and not as hot as I would prefer. It opened at 7 AM and closed at 11PM

I don't usually play bingo but each weekday there is a bingo at 9:30. Three games are usually played with pots between 65 and 120 dollars. It depends on the number of players. The fee is $5.00 for 6 cards. Lots of seniors.

The unita are all comfortable and well stocked kitchens. Plenty of towels and sheets and washer dryer is a bounus. They supply laundry soap and dishwasher soap as well as t towels and J cloth. Grocery store (Publix) is at one entrance and Target is about 1/2 mile down the road.

The resort is cashless. It was a real bonus not having to carry money or a credit card around the resort. You can choose to have it deactivated if you want to, but then you must carry a credit card.

Units are very comfortable with lots of places to sit and watch TV. TV in both bedrooms as well as living room.

As for the title, it is a busy place. I found the piped in music bothersome. You could not get away from it, but it is not loud. You can talk over it. This place is so central to all attractions. 1/2 hour from Seaworld and Disney depending on traffic. Universal was about 40 minutes.

All in all I highly recommend this resort. Especially the West Village. Beware of all the timeshare people. It really isn't worth the 3 hours of your holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi there and thanks so much for your review. How wonderful that you and your family vacation party were able to stay with us and spread out on vacation. We always love to hear about those special vacations where everyone gets to come together and just be themselves. Our villas offer more room and more comfort to our guests than a traditional hotel would. We are sorry to hear that you felt the resort and its amenities were a little too crowded for your tastes. However, will four villages spread over 2,000 plus acres, we strive to offer something for everyone across the resort. We appreciate the recommendation on your stay and we would love to host you again in the future.
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

From October 13-20, my family of 5 (3 children) stayed in River Island. I had stayed in the West Village twice many years ago. I was not disappointed back then and was even more wowed this time. Our unit did face the parking lot and there was significant construction going on in our building that week, but none of it bothered us at all. The 3rd floor, 2-bedroom unit was immaculate - I could not find a single bug or speck of dirt anywhere, and everything looked fresh and new. The decor was lovely - I'd use the same colors in my own home. My kids were absolutely amazed at how big their own bathroom was! Every night, they wanted to take a bath in the jacuzzi tub that was in the master bathroom. Everything we needed for the week was provided - multiple packs of laundry detergent, shampoo, dishwasher detergent, etc. Thanks to the reviews here, I knew to hand the silly coupon right back to the front desk as soon as they handed it to me with a "no thanks, we are absolutely not doing a tour." After that we never received a single call to ask about timeshare tours. In addition to the beautiful accomodations, we loved the lazy river and hammocks right outside our door, and the chef at the restaurant was extremely caring and considerate of our food allergies. Here are the only cons of our whole week but I do need to mention them in hopes that Orange Lake might reconsider. Please, please, PLEASE do away with the annoying $9 tube rental fee! Add it into the daily resort fee if you must, but please stop this nonsense! By early to mid- morning, there are always tons of tubes floating around freely everywhere, yet we are supposed to tell our kids they can't touch them unless Mommy and Daddy shell out the money? Ridiculous. My son was totally embarrassed when he was using one and was told he had to surrender it because he didn't have a wristband. He was confused because we had used them many nights prior to that day for free because at that time of day there isn't even an attendant to take your money if you even wanted to pay and they are floating everywhere! Really a bad policy that must be changed asap. Listen to your reviewers - almost everyone mentions this! Another issue is with the attitude of the front desk clerks. We arrived at a non-crowded time and a pretty slow time of year in general and yet the girl's attitude was one you'd expect more at a McDonald's than a high end resort. She just simply didn't care and was going through the motions. Not friendly in the least. Pizza delivery was also slow, and the call to check-in came about 10 minutes after 4 pm, so not quite on time either.

Despite any of the above, I would absolutely bring my famikly here again the next time we visit Orlando. The value was outstanding! We simply booked online and chose "2 bedroom on waterpark" and that gave us the River Island location. It was only $135 per night before the resort fees are added. No way a family of 5 would be able to get that much space anywhere in WDW.

Room Tip: Choose "Waterpark" when booking online to get a River Island room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi there and welcome home from your recent stay with us. We always love to hear about how our guests spent their vacation time with us. We appreciate you coming back to stay with us again. That is always the highest compliments that our guests can give us. We couldn't be happier to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our villas offer the perfect amount of space to really spread out and be yourselves on vacation. We appreciate you letting us know how we can do better for future guests. We are constantly striving to make sure that our guests have the very best vacation experience possible. We can’t wait to have you and your family back again soon for more fun, time and value on vacation.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here as base for visiting all the orlando parks. Its well situated although it does still take about 20-30 minutes to get to the Disney parks and 45 to get to Universal by car.
Be warned this resort is HUGE! We thought it would be nice to be in a resort where we could walk to various restaurants and not have to worry about drinking & driving, but it is so big unless you are staying near the main village you still need car. The pools vary from quiet in the surrounding "villages" to very busy in the main one. There's quite a hard sell when you arrive to try to get you to attend a time share meeting, which after long flight is not very welcome at all, but once you say no they leave you alone.
The pools stay open late which is very welcome after a full day at the theme parks.
The food is typical American, mostly fast food pizza/burger/TexMex type.
We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment which was very spacious and had every amenity we could possibly want, with huge comfortable beds in all rooms. Service is impeccable - our coffee maker broke and replacement was there in its box within 30 minutes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Public Response:
Hey there. Thanks so much for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to write it. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Nothing makes us happier than a happy guest. You give great tip that we are close to the parks and a great option if you are looking for more room to spread out, and just a little more fun. You do point out that we are a larger resort split into four villages. However, we have complimentary shuttle service running throughout the resort for our guests convenience. Its nice that you give yourself the best of both worlds by combining a stay with us and visits to Orlando’s famous attractions. We couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to hosting you again sometime in the future.

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort? Share your experiences!