“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sombrero Resort & Marina

Save Saved
You added Sombrero Resort & Marina to your Saves list
Sombrero Resort & Marina
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Sombrero Boulevard, Marathon, FL 33050 (Formerly Sombrero)   |
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Marathon
Storrs
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two years in a row. We were pleased both times. The place is clean and safe. The room has a kitchen,living area and a separate bedroom.The price was very reasonable for all that is offered. We would certainly return again. The only complaint is the tiki bar was not open much. The restaurant on the premises was also closed. Unfortunately, our mattress wasn't very comfortable on the second visit. We would certainly come back again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We rent 3 different hotels for our trip in keys. This one was the less expensive and really a good surprise big apartment (2 rooms), kitchen, laundry, hot swimming pool, good service, clean room !
In the middle of the keys with a really nice beach in Marathon ! We recommand this hotel for family ;-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The room and loaction of this resort is good. But the room has bed bugs. Both my wife and I got bited seriously. We lived in this resort for two days. On the second day when we back, we saw a notice on the door that this room will get pest control next day, the day we suppose to leave. I cant believe they rent the room when they already know the room has bugs. We report the bed bug problems to the front dest when we leave, they said you are sure you got bitted in our resort or outside, and then NO any explainaitons.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Merri C, Manager at Sombrero Resort & Marina, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your most recent stay. We take your claim very seriously and have addressed it with our pest control company.

Fortunately, we have not had an issue with bed bugs and our pest control company investigated your allegations and provided documentation supporting there were no findings. In addition to our monthly pest control services, our housekeeping department does thorough inspections of all our guestrooms. We will continue to be proactive to ensure our guests have a satisfying experience.

We hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a Padi Scuba Instructor With Below H2O Scuba I took a group of 13 High School Kids from Tennessee to Marathon to do their check-out dives and we stayed here for 4 days. Not sure why the reviews here are not better.... We had a great time. Our rooms were clean when we got there. The maid service took great care of them while we stayed here. The price was fantastic. Great Pool and Tiki bar. Only complaint the rooms could be up-dated carpets were a bit worn but for the price very nice. I was expecting the worse when i got there because of the reviews but was very happy with my stay and will bring future groups here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
South Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were looking for a one night stay in Marathon Key on our way to Key West. After searching the web I thought I found what looked like a nice place for $100.00 per night. When we arrived I was struck by the lack of any guests in sight. When I asked for a room on the first floor I was shown what $25.00 a night would be too much to spend. I was told that better reconditioned rooms were available on the top floor of another building. After hunting down an old scary elevator, which bordered on a over-flowing garbage can, we found the second "reconditioned" room filled with thrift shop furniture and a TV set from the eighties. We turned the room down and went on to Key West.

Room Tip: Move on to Key West!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I booked my room 07/18/12 for fantasy fest and was charged the amount for the room 158.58 - When I got to the hotel I was told my card would be placed on file in case anything happened ok that is normal - the desk clerk charged me 171.00 on Friday night. When I asked the office about it they said ok we will reverse the charges allot of good that will do I now have no money because I only brought so much with me because I am a single mom and had to budget out things and I don’t have a credit card.. Then upon check out 10/28/12 - they charged my card another 158.58 - so it wasn't bad enough that I had to stay in the room the whole weekend because I had no money because they charged my card.I had to have family wire money to get home. The staff was like oh I am so sorry but then went and charged my card again!!!! worst trip I have ever had and the elevator was broken so I had to go 4 flights of stairs with my bags.. which is ok I got the exercise but I am so mad they could only say we are sorry the people are new are you serious where is the training and they say oh well we won’t charge you the 13.45 for the resort fee are you serious!!!!

The room was clean and stocked with things that were in all rooms. The TV remotes did not work - the water was scolding hot which for some is ok but not all -

Room Tip: I booked my room 07/18/12 for fantasy fest and was charged the amount for the room 158.58 - When I g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Orient, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Roach Hotel!!!!! I booked a condo here on 10/22/12 -10/25/12. The first night I woke up at 12:30 AM seen some roaches in the bathroom so I looked in the kitchen where I saw about 20 roaches. The next morning I called the front desk and told them. The called maintenance and they spayed for them. They told me that it would kill all the bugs. The next night I went into the kitchen around 1 AM only to find hundreds of the roaches everywhere. I killed over 20 of them. Later that night I seen what I thought were thousands of parasites eating the roaches only to find out later that they were baby roaches. The next morning I packed up and asked the general manager to come to my room and see what I was putting up up with. She came up with the maintenance man and she told me she would comp the rooms and I moved out. I checked into another hotel when I realized I forgot 2 or 3 shirts so I went back to the Sombrero and tried to get my shirts back. The shirts were not in my room the girl at the front desk asked maintenance and house keeping to check with their people to see if they found them. Next thing I know the maintenance man was there and he said something to me but, I did not here him. So I said Excuse me and he started yelling at me and told me I did not leave them in the room. So things went down hill from there. I lost my temper said a few things and the police were called. They asked me if I wanted to press charges and I said no I just wanted to get a point across. The proper way to handle the situation was to tell me they could not find them and would continue to look for them and if they found them where could they contact me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sombrero Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!