“Good location for the Lower Keys” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bolton England
“Good location for the Lower Keys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is lovely, even though some new floors were being put down in the reception area. The restaurant was light and airy. Good choice breakfast items. Our room was very comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the location for accessibility to Key West.

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Went to the keys for work but i ended up staying for the weekend of nov 17 till Sunday on the 17 th I checked into the holiday inn express unexpected so I needed clothes so I go to kmart and spend well over 60 bucks on necessities wake up sat morning to go to work and while at work I get a phone call stating my stuff was being moved o storage until my company resolved the issue with my reservation but once I return to fix my reservation my items were missing sending me to kmart once again

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Nancy B, Director of Sales at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear gbaby85,

We are very sorry that there was a misunderstanding with your reservation. We will always do our best to protect our guests from any unnecessary situations and always keep their belongings safe. If this did not happen during your visit please contact me immediately so that I may speak with you and get to the bottom of this unfortunate occurrence.

Sales/Marketing Manager
nbennett@spottswood.com
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am disgusted with how the hotel handled this situation. If I was an owner I would fire my General Manager first. I checked in on 11/8-11/10. The hotel was fine, a typical Express. The day after I left, I was in the doctor's office being treated for bed bug bites. I got a letter from the doctor and everything. I called the GM and the clerk told me she wasnt there but she would email Lisa and have her call me first thing in the morning. I had to call the hotel, 3 times the next day to finally get a hold of her. She told me that they absolutely didnt have bed bugs and never even had a claim. I told her that I had checked, bedbugregistry.com and exactly a month prior someone wrote a complaint about how they had recieved it. She told me I was crazy, literally said "you're crazy". When I told her I would contact IHG directly, she hung up on me. Her customer service was unbelievable. Needless to say, 3 days later I recieved a call from the Director of Sales, who said she conducted an investigation and there were no bed bugs. This was the only hotel I stayed in during my trip. I'm horrified that these people hold upper management positions. I am attaching pictures of my legs after my 2 day stay at this hotel that "didnt have bed bugs" No sorry, no anything. AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy B, Director of Sales at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Morgan T,

There is nothing worse than a Trip Advisor review stating that our hotel has bed bugs. We are very sorry that you experienced something that left you with bites on your legs. It is horrible to think that this would have happened!
Being a newer IHG Holiday Inn Express and Suites, we have taken every measure to prevent these types of occurrences. If you look under our sheets and mattress covers, you will see a plastic liner that was purchased to prevent this type of problem. We also have a very consistent and mandated extermination program in place, as I offered to show you when we spoke. I also offered to show you the inspection report from the claim you made and you declined my offer.
We take all of these comments and occurrences VERY serious, and we will always work hard to make sure that if a guest does have an issue that it is treated with the highest of concern. We do apologize that you did not feel like you were regarded in this way. We did start the investigation as soon as we were alerted and were pleased to hear that we do not have bedbugs, but regretfully, we still have a disappointed guest.
Our door is always open and it would be my pleasure to go over any of these documents that indicate that we do not have bedbugs or any of our inspections done by government agencies as they are public record. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Respectfully,

Pisa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed 2 nights.
Pros:
-very clean room and bathroom
-well sized room
-right on the US1 highway, one minute from both gulf & ocean, 55 mins from Key West
-facilities nearby
-the breakfast is not good, but they give real butter instead of some sort of spread
-the other guests are generally respectful, vital due to the paper thin walls
Cons:
-rude and unsupportive staff
- asked twice for a microwave and not only they didn't bring it to our room, but didn't have the decency to phone us to let us know.
-not very clean halls
-cheap breakfast, lousy quality of everything (apart the real butter)
- still the breakfast: they stop serving well before closing time - at 9.30 (closing time: 10) there were no more hot water, eggs, buns, ...
- paper-thin walls
- terrible service in neighboring restaurant (Tarpon Creek) and the attached fishing attractions seemed expensive, although they have good reviews on TA
- cheap, small fitness room

OK, it's bordering 2/5 but I'll give it 3/5; mine was a last minute booking and might not have got the best bargain, but I feel for 160 USD a night a guests deserves a little more. If you get it for a better price, go for it. If not, consider Key West's b&b on Duval St.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy B, Director of Sales at The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Michelle B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We were disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met during your stay with us. We do appreciate that you offered the pros and the cons in an effort to be fair.

We do apologize that we do not offer refrigerators in every room. Our hotel was not designed to accommodate one in every room. We do find that guests prefer that they have one and we are working on a resolution for this.
Please feel free to contact me at nbennett@spottswood.com if you would like to further this conversation.
We do hope to have the opportunity to have you as a guests once again!

Sales/Marketing Manager
nbennett@spottswood.com
www.holidayinnexpressmarathon.com
Facebook
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Pros : Great location as Marathon is half way through the Keys, right smack in the center. Hotel is newly renovated and rooms are spacious. The Tarpon Creek Marina is located just behind the hotel, really convenient for those who enjoy snorkelling in Florida Keys.

Cons : There is no guest laundry onsite. Supposedly there’s a Dinner Package at Tarpon Creek Bar & Grill or the Barracuda Grill when you stay 2 nights at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon. Basically one can get $25 credit just by showing the receipt from either restaurant when you check out (US$25 credit will be applied to your final bill). However, when we checked it with their counter staff (Jarrod), he was not sure and couldn't be bothered to check with his colleague. In fact, he yawned when he was talking to us. That really left us a really bad impression of hotel.

Overall, still a great place to stay in (except for the staff whom was clueless on the on-going promotions).

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
rabbitnorthampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed for 8 nights in November 2013. Had a suite overlooking the pool. Lovely room, lovely view. Couldn't fault anything about the place. Staff very friendly and helpful. Free breakfast ok. Everywhere clean. Good restaurant next door. Had a great time.

Room Tip: Choose a suite for not much more money.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

From our arrival , the kids were ready to unwind in the pool and we were ready to relax. The hotel was in great shape and they had a great Tiki Bar/Restaurant immediately behind pool area. Great food and really reasonable. Breakfast was included which had just about anything you could want. It made parking the boat pretty easy and secured. The property overall was maintained in and out. Our room was as it showed on line and clean and beds were real comfortable. A definite return stay next time we head down to Marathon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon? Share your experiences!