“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 72 restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Description: Savor Florida Keys dining with award-winning tropical cuisine indoor or outdoor at Tranquility Bay Resort's own Butterfly Café. Butterfly Café captures the essence of island cuisine with an emphasis on quality, local ingredients and, of course, ocean fresh seafood in a beautiful airy Marathon restaurant setting. Open daily for dinner, the menu and wine list at Butterfly Café change seasonally. Children will delight in a special menu designed just for them. Dinner is served nightly from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM at our restaurant in Marathon and reservations are encouraged. Dine outdoors on Butterfly Café's covered patio, or enjoy the impressive dining room inside with its soaring ceiling and casual yet sophisticated decor. Our dinner menu features tantalizing offerings like Florida Keys’ Shrimp Cocktail, Tropical Crab Cakes, Panko Encrusted Florida Grouper, Key Lime Pie, TDF 'To Die For' Sticky Toffee Pudding and more. Casual resort attire recommended at this Florida Keys restaurant.
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We went fishing that day and we brought back some snapper. The chef cooked it up three ways for us. Excellent! Their key lime is great too!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
Princeton, NJ
“Marathons best kept secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The food was amazing. Burger for me. Mahi Mahi for the little lady. The service was great! Cheryl our waitress was too cute for words. We were also joined by two cats who gave the atmosphere a very relaxed feeling.

Visited November 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“One of the best experiences...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Both of our meals were fantastic. I would recommend the grouper to anyone wanting a WOW experience. The scallops with risotto are out of this world. The service was top shelf and the environment was phenomenal.

Visited November 2012
HULL, ENGLAND
“Simply exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This review is hot off the press, so to speak, after enjoying a meal at The Butterfly Café earlier this evening (10th November 2012). Before leaving home (England) to take this vacation I phoned the restaurant to make the reservation; it was, after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, always a given that we would eat there.
We sat on the verandah and were glad we did – it was a very pleasant evening. Our server was Stacey who, from the very start was attentive throughout; as were the other staff. She was knowledgeable about the menu items and was happy to spend time explaining different aspects of particular dishes.
My wife started with a Butterfly Tini, which she said was very tasty and at $10 wasn't bad value for a restaurant of this type. I was driving so stayed on the iced water. I did consider the iced tea but, in truth didn’t want anything to cloud the taste of the food.
The chosen appetizers were Warm Goat Cheese ($9) for my wife and Lump Crab Cakes ($12) for me. Stacey said that the crab cakes were the best on the whole of the Keys and, I have to say, I don’t think she was lying; they were by far the best crab cakes I have tasted.
As an entrée my wife had the Scallop Risotto ($28) and I had the Mahi Mahi ($24). Both were excellent and more than lived up to our expectations. To be honest, we didn’t really need to see the menu on the night because we had already decided what we were going to have before we left Old Blighty.
When Stacey brought the dessert menu she recommended the signature Key Lime Pie ($9) and described all of its different elements, explaining how it would be totally unlike any other Key Lime Pie we had eaten. We had one each and, again, Stacey was not wrong with her recommendation; they were (as we say around our way) the dog’s......! They were good sized portions also; too much for my wife to manage, which worked out in my favour as I got to finish hers off …..Mmmmm!
An espresso ($2.50) for me rounded off what was a simply exquisite meal; each dish being full of fantastic complementary flavours and very well presented.

If I have one gripe it is the automatic addition of an 18% gratuity to the bill. Yes, that is made clear on the menu and is something other venues also do but I simply do not like it. I like to make my own choice as to how much gratuity to leave and my decision is based on a number of factors, including the quality of the food and the service provided. As it happens, I would have happily given 20% tonight.

The whole meal, including the imposed gratuity came to $129.90 plus a little extra for our server. That is more than we would usually pay for a meal for two whilst on vacation but it was worth every penny!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Ate here 3 nights and food good every night and even celebrated my sons 18th here and they looked after us extremely well. Would recommend for all i.e. couple, families etc.