“Simple but very nice.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Marathon B&B and Inns
Macomb, Michigan
“Simple but very nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My wife and I have been there twice and re booking for our next Keys trip. No frills of the larger or chain hotels, but that's good. Very good breakfast and comfortable setting. Pleasant staff, and the boats come in handy (weather permitting). Overall a very nice relaxing resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I had a terrific time at Rainbow Bend. The resort staff were quite friendly and helpful. The guys( Andy and Eric) on the boat dock will gladly point you in the right direction as far as fishing or snorkeling are concerned. By the way, the fishing was great! The Hideaway Cafe is the on-site restaurant.Couldn't ask for better staff (Billy) and service. Food was excellent, too! Plenty of other nice places to eat a short ride from Rainbow Bend. I will say that the rooms are a little dated and could use some sprucing up, but, who spends the day sitting around your room? All in all, a very nice time. We can definitely see ourselves returning.

Tommy and Joanne M.
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Pleasant Hill, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Perfect getaway just wish we could have stayed longer..big thanks to Marsha & Sonja for all your hospitality..breakfast included and made a bit sweeter by the hardest working waiter Billy,who also was our evening waiter when we returned one night for a little B'day dinner..MUST try the desserts!! You all made us feel So welcome..traveled with our 2 smaller dogs(kids) not always an easy feat,but couldn't have dreamed for a better set up ..We stayed in the Octagon House bottom...couldn't help but rise just before the sun did to open our French doors of our bedroom to the Most BEAUTIFUL Sunrises..love the lazy days kayaking,snorkeling,lounging but didn't get the chance to play a game of humongous chess,next time..And there Will be a next time .. Soon!! a big thanks to the guys on the fishing dock as well..noticing I have a big smile on my face just writing this..it's a good sign...... I Love the Mom and Pop Business....Your a stranger only once :-)

Room Tip: As I said we brought 2small dogs (kids to us) and my husbands sister and brother & his wife..wor...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We love Rainbow Bend. My husband and I have been here a few times. It's very clean, quiet, and family friendly. The restaurant has a great breakfast. We also had dinner here several times because the food is so good and the restaurant is cozy. The staff is accomodating and friendly. We traveled with my sister and her family and rented one of the upper 2 bdrm units. It was great sitting out on the back deck of the unit and watching the beautiful sunrise. My husband and son like it because they get the use of a small boat every day, and the fishing is great!, even off their pier. We are going again this year. It reminds me of how the keys used to be 40 years ago....lay back and relax!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cranbury,NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Oh where to begin, I travel A lot !! I book this place thu a 3rd party Expedia OK I was booking for me
and my Dad, I was visiting him for my birthday left my husband & kids to spend some time with my
dad. We planned on going to the keys for a few days, I know my dad has always wanted to stay here, so as a surprise I booked 2 nights here, My dad was in the coast guard and has his Captains license for 45 yrs yrs, so the boats sounded good.
My dad tells me he wants to bring his lady friend no problem I like Mary, and we have 2 Beds !!
We get there to check in and it's 20 something extra a night for Mary ? Why there are 2 beds ?
Well , we go to take the boat out , it's last week so it's chilly , we go to the pier, and to get down to the boats you have to walk down a ramp low tide so it's at least 4 ft down not much of a angle
With NO HAND RAIL !! what I could barely make it down let alone my 70 yrs old Dad & Mary, we make it out of 15 mins to cold so we go back in 15 $$$ for gas what ever !!
They have a resturant that is 4 stars they say, well it's over top my room # 1 oh boy LOUD from 7 till 10 both nights terrible , chairs moving, ice machine, Don't ever stay in rm # 1 !!! Free breakfast in the morning was worth about 2.99 if that 2 pieces of toast not even 4 ... The room was outdated and not worth over 200 $$$ a night what a joke.
When My Dad had to use the bathroom at breakfast he was told it was downstairs, WHAT. OK downstairs out to the outside area that was part of the fishing bait area, down another 2 ft ledge, he went into bathroom came back and was disguised the toilet was 2 ft from the urinal and it was leaking sewage on the floor !!
We are done thank you! we are checking out, I tell Marcia all this she doesn't go to the bathrooms the dock hands take care of this stuff!! They don't care about their property, maybe you should take some of the major money you are making and CLEAN up the place and put some more back into this hotel not a Resort at ALL. Marcia says you booked thu a 3rd party and had the cheapeast room WHAT over 200 a NIGHT !!! this place sucks don't waste your money, yes they have boats don't waste your time, for 40 bucks go on a head boat !!

Room Tip: Don't Waste your hard earned money !! Never stay in rm 1 or rm 2
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This resort is sorely in need of an overhaul from top to bottom. My husband and I stayed for 3 days paying about $250 per night. In their favor they offer the use of a boat for four hours a day for the cost of gas only - a great bargain but unfortunately it was too cool and windy for our entire stay. This is a fishing resort so I did not expect posh accommodations but this place needs a visit by the public health department. The parking lot at the resort needs paving or to reapply gravel. It has lots of potholes that hold water and parking is not organized in any way. The rooms are mostly clean on the surface (floors and tub) but have a very musty smell. The room may have had mold because my allergies went nuts while staying here and the lower parts of doors and woodwork look like they have water damage. The coffee pot was old but worked well unfortunately they didn't give you coffee or tea. Then the bathroom didn't have shampoo or conditioner. For the price we paid per day they should supply coffee and shampoo. The sheets on the bed while clean were threadbare. The mattress was musty and the pillows didn't have pillow protectors on them. They smelled like dirty hair - maybe because no shampoo was provided. We stayed in Room 8 and our bedspread had some questionable stains on it - maybe blood? You could see it had been washed but the stain was not gone but only spread out. It was pretty gross. The blankets were very old, full of holes from cigarettes and just torn in places. One was a cotton material that was full of hairs and fuzz bits. They did not supply beach towels for laying out by the beach. The beach was hauled in sand and was not bad for what it is. the chairs at the beach don't have the brace brackets and you will be laying their and they just give way. The dock were the boats are is pretty neat and cleaned but the other dock is full of bird poo you can't even walk on it. At low tide the water recedes and leaves the muddy marsh. I wouldn't want to swim there. The flower beds need weeding and taking out the dead foliage and palm branches. This would be a mosquito haven in warmer weather. The patio areas in front of the rooms need power washing and perhaps re-poring of cement. Every window in the place needs washing inside and out. On our first day I asked the man at the front desk if we had maid service and he told me they were " civilized" and of course they had maid service. Their definition of maid service was - they exchanged your towels. They did not wash your dishes, they did not change your sheets and they did not make your bed. These are things I would include in maid service. This is not somewhere I would go again without knowing it had a deep cleaning, new linens and a more updated attitude in service. They do include a basic breakfast but the kitchen and dining room need a total re-do in style, furnishing and very deep cleaning. It was just plain gross!!! It doesn't cost anything to wash curtains, walls, tables and chairs with hot water and soap. I didn't know the rate we were paying or we would have left. I was disappointed and still get itchy thinking about this place. I could go on but I would like to say with a little money, new linens and elbow grease this place could be much improved. Not for me.

Room Tip: Go on down to Key West!
Fredericksburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Spent three nights here. I must say first that the room was clean. Great location and very friendly staff. Although we didn't use the boats due to the high winds, there were plenty available to take out for no charge. So why only three out of five? Well the main reason is the furnishings. Not that I expected a lot due to it being in the keys, but the furniture (couches, beds, etc) were very dated. As they were material, there was a heebie jeebie feeling to the room. I can't say that they were not clean but it did make us a little uncomfortable. But the room, bathroom, kitchen, etc were all clean.

Would I go back?.. Not sure as I really like the location and the amenities they offered.. Please refurnishe and I will come back..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!