“Wonderful, relaxed stay.” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   57784 Overseas Hwy, MM58, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Marathon B&B and Inns
“Wonderful, relaxed stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at Rainbow Bend for 10 days in September and had a wonderful time. The room was just what we needed and we really enjoyed the private patio and hot tub. The staff was very nice and helpful. We loved being able to cruise around and fish in the boats! Can't wait to stay again this October.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Richmond Hill, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in room 22 HUGE apartment style room. All you needed to bring is your clothes and dog. We will be back at christmas I hope. The service from everyone was wonderfull. The FREE HOT breakfast was a great treat. The Rainbow Bend is a old style true Keys type of place. If you want fancy and pricey go to the Hilton. This place is just right for a true trip to the keys!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I found a rat chewing on my toothbrush, it went in the toilette, I wanted my money back after the 1 night, they would not refund me for the second night...rooms smell bad, it is bad all around..a $35 motel in the keys at $255.

Room Tip: room 9 was mine,bedbugs, the jaccuzzi has no temperature settings, it is broken and it will keep the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

The use of the boats hooked me. It is a small resort so it isn't crowded. We had a blast when we took the boat to the big sandbar for swimming, fishing and snorkeling. Our 4 year old daughter loved it.

• Stayed August 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you’re the camping type, a person who enjoys nature and all the beauty and unpleasantries that go along with it, then this place may be for you. That includes heat, bugs and an occasional smell mentioned in the other reviews. Of course, if you are not the camping type, you could always retreat to the comforts of your simplistic room (nothing fancy here) and chill out.

If you are the adventurous type, coupled with camping type mentioned above, then this place will completely satisfy you. I visited last Sept (2012) over Labor Day when the time of year makes tent camping unbearable due to high temps. I had a blast. With a few instructions on motorboat operation, we went motoring all over the place. Guy said, “Drive it like you stole it”, so we did. We had so much fun driving these little boats around fishing, exploring and snorkeling, we didn’t have time to take advantage of the kayaks, also offered. We did have a rest at the pool, which was a nice way end the day. And in the evening, if you haven’t got your fill of fishing, you can fish from the dock. We caught our biggest fish right there and the guy there helped us package it to take home.

The full kitchens helped on the budget since we were able to cook most of our food there and breakfast was included. It was good. And we used the grill outside for dinners. If you don’t feel like going through the trouble, lunch and dinner are also served at the restaurant, which is a cute little thing that overlooks the ocean. It exudes the “chill out vibe” found in the Keys. Plus it’s a short drive to nearby restaurants if you feel like exploring.

We were able to bring our two small dogs which were great because they like to get away from home just as much as we do.

So, if you like watersports adventures or just relaxing in the Keys and don’t have to have a fancy room, go there and have fun. We are going back, this weekend.

Room Tip: Room 8 was a one bedroom suite and walked out into a lawn. BBQ grills were close by.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Tips only here: being your own coffee supplies for the room. Small filters for the pots. Beds are old. Smelly in room. If you bring dogs room #4 is good cause it has a closing wooden gate and a small 3x3' dirt space so they can go to the bathroom. The boats are free indeed however 4 hours max. You can only go 2.5 miles each way. No gulf side either. The onsite store is overpriced. Stop at Walgreens south of the hotel for your needs. Soap in bathroom very small bar. No safes in room big enough for anything like laptops. This is a true fishing type resort. no romancing here!

• Stayed June 2013
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Here are my points for this place. I liked it, but can see why some people wouldn't.

1) The keys as a whole aren't really known for their beaches. It's coral and most of the beaches are made of sand someone trucked in. There is a pretty cool beach, but don't think you'll be boogie boarding and making sand castles. There is a sand bar a little ways down a bunch of people go hang out on. I found a bunch of conchs while snorkeling there.

2) During low tide, there is sea grass that washes up on shore. It smells like a pier, jetty, or any other natural area during low tide. I stayed here for 4 days and it smelled like that once. The smell is strongest on the jacuzzi side and tapered off by the time you reached the main office if you're looking at the map. This is because the jacuzzi side is on a bend and closest to the water.

3) Be honest: Are you a person who likes the idea of staying at a campy keys resort? If you look at the stuff and think man that sounds awesome, you'll like it here. If you think man I can save 50 bucks and not stay at the Westin, you're not going to like it. Are you bringing your wife/girlfriend/someone elses' wife with you? Will she like that stuff?

4) If you like water stuff, this place is pretty fun. There is a reef that is pretty big about a 20 min boat ride out. I went scuba diving (it's only ~20 feet so your tank lasts forever). There is also a decent ship wreck within kayak distance in maybe 15 feet of water or so. The top of it sticks out at low tide. I spent most of my time in the water or pool while here.

5) I saw plenty of barracuda, a few grouper, and some decent vermilion and yellow tail. I saw a nurse shark ~3 feet under the docks. Don't think you'll be landing 115 pound cubera from the docks, but you can catch stuff from the docks and skiffs for sure.

6) The people I encountered were helpful, friendly, and very accomodating. We stayed in the jacuzzi room. We had no troubles with the boats or any of the equipment. Our rooms were clean. Look at pics of the jacuzzi room because there are saloon doors separating the bedroom from the bathroom. No biggie for us, but bathroom breaks could be awkward if you don't know who you're with very well (in that room).

7) Breakfast was pretty good. If you go expecting a huge buffet you're not going to like it. If you go expecting the free breakfast you get at Best Western with frozen breakfast sandwiches, you'll be happy. Eggs made to order, pancakes, french toast, a bagel, and milk/cereal can all be had w/ no charge. Your tip isn't included at the restaurant. A 20% tip for two people would be about 2.50. You can also order blueberry pancakes, breakfast burrito, a shrimp and another kind of omelet, and a few other items I don't remember. There is a charge for them, but they will comp you on the 5.95 that the free stuff costs, so 8 dollar blueberry pancakes cost like 3 dollars.

8) They charge you for gas on the boats. It's a 14 dollar minimum for 1/4 tank. I think this is where a bunch of people get mad. A full tank is like 54 bucks, but I drove out to the channel marker and back (a few miles) and still hit 1/4 tank. Be nice to the dock guys and they'll bend over backwards to make your stay awesome. Robert had a lot of great suggestions on fishing and where to eat. In your head just pretend it's a 20 dollar boat rental and there, now you can be happy. It's way cheaper than anything else. I paid 70+ dollars to snorkel w/ my wife in Key Largo, here I had my own private reef for less than 20 bucks.

Room Tip: There is a map online. The ones that face the ocean are all pretty cool. One that doesn't has...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!