“Quiet, good location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gulf View Waterfront Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marathon
Gulf View Waterfront Resort
You added Gulf View Waterfront Resort to your Saves list
58743 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saint Marys, GA
“Quiet, good location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Family run hotel. Nothing fancy, but clean and well supplied. We had access to canoe, kayaks, bicycles without fee. Also gas grill for each unit outside. Very nice pool for the few rooms.
A little slice of paradise!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had a delightful time and enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Please don't go there expecting glitz or flash. This lovely slice of heaven is OLD FLORIDA at its best. We brought a cooler with hopes of being able to cook a couple of meals and we weren't disappointed. There were several grills on the property and we used the one right in front of our area. One of the guests leaving offered us a couple of trout he had just caught and we were quite excited. There was a set up on the dock for fish cleaning. The room had all the basic necessities for cooking and we had no problems. Full size refrigerator, four burner gas stove (I love gas!). Dishes, wine glasses, pots and pans...our Thanksgiving dinner was awesome.

The property is right on the ocean. Beautiful views. We had brought our 16 foot fishing boat and did put it in the water using their ramp the first day but it was quite windy and the water was choppy. We also enjoyed the hammocks, especially at night. It was fun to lie back and watch the wind move through the palm trees. Very relaxing.

The previous review had several complaints. Our bathroom was spotless and the room was clean. As for space for suitcases, there is a small closet and we had everything stored comfortably. Zero bugs. The host and his wife were very pleasant.

I liked the fact that we were close to Marathon and that driving to Islamarada wasn't a bad drive either. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone who enjoys nature and likes a laid back place.

Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed here mid November based on the great reviews. While the property does look pretty much like the pictures, (although the owner told us they were taken quite a while ago), it is dated and in dire need of some TLC. Our host Mike, was friendly and welcoming and gave us a few recommendations for places in the area. Location: right on the water, perfect, you can't swim but you can relax with a book, cocktail, whatever. They also had kayaks and canoes that you could make use of but since it was so windy when we were there we did the former. With the exception of the Research Station, there is really nothing much in the area. Groceries, restaurants, etc... all required driving.

Our unit was small but had pretty much what we needed for the three days we were there. There is very little room to accommodate suitcases so we spent a few days dodging around ours. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom, unfortunately, is where things started falling apart. I had noticed mold on the floors and on the bottom of the shower curtain but it was not until the next day when I stepped into the shower that I realized the extent of it. Without going into much detail I will say, in all my travels it is the only time I took pictures of something in the event I had to back-up my claim. Mold doesn't happen over night, It builds up and if you stay on top of it, it isn't an issue. Every time I stepped in the shower I pretty much had to keep my eyes closed.

In the hallway, some type of liquid had run down the walls, dried and not been cleaned up. A palmetto bug (aka. an American Cockroach) was living under the kitchen counter. I refused to open the cupboard. In the bug's defense, my travelling companion did say, "well, this is the south. What are you going to do??" I wore my flip flops the whole time.

Pieces of garbage remained on the patio outside our room and a large branch from a palm tree, (a bit of a trip hazard), had fallen across the steps to the office and there it stayed for three days. A kayak, having flipped over in the wind, floated upside down for two days in the bay. I realize that these items might seem trivial but they could have been remedied quickly with a daily "sweep" of the property. The only time we saw anyone other than guests, was someone bringing out the coffee urn one morning, a nice touch I must say!

This could be a fabulous place and I would love to recommend it but I can't. These are not things that come about after a busy season, especially the mold which can have huge health implications. Is it possible that we stayed in the only unit that was less than fabulous? I cannot speak to the rest of the units but I would suggest you stay away from Unit 13 until someone has cleaned it up. And no, we were not looking for the Marriott, only value for what we paid and a review we could count on.

Vass, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spent last week (16-23 Nov) at the resort with our two furkids. I can only give high remarks to Mike and his wife for having a great pet-friendly place that you can visit in the keys. The grounds are excellent with a great gulf view, crystal clear pool and even its on aviary. The only area of improvement that I would make is to either replace the mattress or add a topper to the existing one in room 15.

Mike was also very helpful with his recommendations and if you get a chance to catch his band playing at Sparkys Landing then tkae the time to check then out. Mike plays a mean stand-up base.

We would definetly use them again.

Sundridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Beautiful palm trees, water right out front, spotless pool and friendly people. That is what you will get when you are at the Gulf View. The owner, Mike gave us excellent recommendations for restaurants. We stayed on the 2nd floor in the Blue and Gold Macaw Room. It was clean and had a fridge, microwave, stove and kitchen. It was very relaxing to wake up and go get coffee under the palm trees and just eat our cereal before going out sightseeing. If you are looking to relax this is the place for you and your family.

Room Tip: I would recommend being on the 2nd floor as you can then see the water and have the sunshine.
Alexandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

If you are looking for the Marriott this is not your place, but are if you are in the keys to enjoy the beauty, weather and the palm trees with very friendly people you should check this place out. It's located on the bay side of the keys on a property full of palm trees and beautiful sunsets. My fiancé and I had chosen in April last year that we would get married here but we hadn't stayed yet so we thought on a recent planning trip we should stay there.

We are now even more excited! The view is awesome, the family who owns and runs the place is great, and you can go hang out with their tortoise, cockatoo, parrots or the local lizards running around. Coffee is served out under the tiki hut in the morning where you can enjoy the priceless view and meet great people.

Thanks Stephanie and Mike for making it such a nice place to be.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place is an awesome place to spend time relaxing. Nice swimming pool, great views, free kayaks and canoe usage, nice rooms, very nice owners.
We went down to the Keys with no plan in mind. When we decided to start looking for a place to stay the night we found out that all of the big hotels were all booked up. Turns out that was a good thing, this place had the charm that we were looking for. If we stayed at a Hampton, Holiday Inn, etc., we would have been bored and it would have been a cookie cutter experience. What we received here was a very unique and memorable time with my loved ones.
The only reason that I did not give it an excellent rating is because it is a fairly old property and it shows in some areas. I would not say that it is not maintained, it is just obvious that the owners are doing it all themselves. They are doing a great job but they could stand to hire someone else to help out.
Oh, I forgot to add that they have hammocks under the palm trees!
I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Gulf View Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!