“One of my favourite locations in the world I've visited..!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Bridges
Attraction Details
Skopelos, Greece
5 attraction reviews
“One of my favourite locations in the world I've visited..!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

Though it was not the first time I visited the Florida Keys (I used to live there), it was certainly the first time I had enough time to explore it..!!

Talking about the 7 Mile Bridge....what an experience...!! I thought I'd get bored of driving over it 2-3 times a day for about 5 days..but no...it was equally exciting driving over it each time. What with the breathtaking views of the turquoise sea, the heavenly sunsets we witnessed...there are not suitable words to describe the feeling..!

To top it all up...we walked the old part of the bridge. Let me tell you, it was definitely a "good walk" but worth our time (it took us about 3hrs). It is right opposite the new bridge, and it actually used to be a railroad all the way down to Key West, back in the days.

Walking through, we had the opportunity to get some pretty amazing photos of the new bridge, saw quite a few giant sea turtles from up hi a lot of pretty amazing birds, (such as pelicans).

This walk ends in a little tiny island called "Pigeon Key",
unfortunately though, we had to pay $12 each to even walk on it...
which was such a rip off..this was the only negative side of that day. We flatly refused to pay it, we didn't want the guided tour of the island, just to be able to walk around for 10 min.

Anyway, I positively recommend to anyone who is traveling to the Keys to stop in Marathon (there is a free parking space at the beginning of the old bridge), for a couple of hours and walk through the bridge...
then please let me know about it..!!!

Dundee, NY
20 attraction reviews
“View the sunset from Seven Mile Bridge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2007

Seven Mile Bridge connects Marathon (on Vaca Key) to Little Duck Key going towards Key West. Prior to getting on the bridge is an area to park and walk on the old 7 mi bridge that has been left for fishing and great views of the sunset. Fishing is also permitted from the old bridge section though there is only a few hours a day that the currents and tides let the water stay calm enough for your bait to lure fish. The Gulf of Mexico is on one side and the Florida straits on the other. No swimming in this area but you will see lots of pleasure and fishing boats.