“Nice beach but watch out for the Portugese Man O Wars!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 38 things to do in Marathon
katiefliesYX
5 attraction reviews
“Nice beach but watch out for the Portugese Man O Wars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Don't know how we missed the big sign on the way in warning us about the man o wars, but we definitely saw it on the way out. D'oh! We were glad to have been wearing water shoes because we had 2 of these little guys wash up near us during our 2 hour visit. Apparently they can sting even when they're dead. They're actually really fascinating and kind of beautiful, but I'm pretty skittish when it comes to critters.

We actually had a really good time otherwise. The water was fairly clear and bottom was not too rocky. We were never actually stung by the man o wars, just a little freaked out.

Visited February 2013

• Finnish first
Canton, GA
8 attraction reviews
“Lovely beach in Marathon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is one of the few beaches in the area...recently renovated with playgrounds for the kids, bathrooms, and better parking. The nice wide beach is made of natural crushed indigenous limestone so don't expect sugar-sand. It's clean, speckled with palm trees, and has sparkling clear water most of the time (tides can bring in sea grasses). A lovely place to spend the day!!

Visited December 2012
Ottawa, Canada
109 attraction reviews
“Lovely, even better than last time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Lovely beach area. We were here about 4 year ago, and thought Sombrero Beach was nice then - I think they've made some improvements to make it even better. I don't recall the central park-area (washrooms, playground) before, nor do I recall the volleyball courts previously ... both are a great addition! So easy to find, parking (free!!) available, and we spent a nice early morning playing beach volleyball and taking a walk along the pretty shoreline. Too chilly that particular morning to swim, but perfect to dip in the toes and walk along the pretty sand. It is quite a lovely area and I can see spending a pleasant and relaxing beach after noon there. I'd love to kayak around there on our next visit. It's just the right size to be comfortable (much smaller than the nearby Bahia Honda Sandspur beach). If in Marathon, and want some beach R&R playtime, I highly recommend.

Coral Gables, Florida
“Beautiful and Natural beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This beach was really nice. Very natural feeling, gorgeous and not too crowded. It was free, free to park, had nice bathrooms, a playground, areas for dogs and fresh water to drink. I really enjoyed this beach. I had been in Key West the day before and was feeling a little sad that I didn't find a "really nice beach" there (that wasn't crawling with a million people)... but Sombrero Beach satisfied my desire to see a "tropical" beach while in the Keys!

Goffstown, New Hampshire
51 attraction reviews
“Nice beach for the Keys”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was surprised to see that all the beaches in the Keys have a massive sea grass problem. All of the beaches are covered with sea grass that washes up on the shore, and rots. I'm told the Eco System in Florida prevents them from cleaning up the beaches. To bad, the sand under the grass is nice, and the water is beautiful. But we must feed the birds with the bugs in the grass. So, it doesn't get cleaned up.