“When you need a break from seafood, go to Porky's” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Cuban, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
milwaukee, wisconsin
“When you need a break from seafood, go to Porky's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Seven of us decided to give Porky's a try....we all like ribs and needed a break from seafood (just for one meal).

Service: excellent. Our server as also strong and coordinated...he brought out all of our meals on one arm and set them down (no auctioning) without spilling anything. Beverages (lemonade, coke) came with a small pitcher for self-serve refills. Service was timely even though our waiter obviously had many other tables.

Ambiance: laid back. Yes, the flies are flying about (the restaurant is on the water at a marina). Annoying, but what can you do at an outside restaurant. Reading all the autographs on the dollar bills stapled literally everywhere is entertaining (markers and staple gun provided by the restaurant; we left $4 lighter; you can also autograph the wood and gutters if you can find the space). I wish I would have learned the name of the singer accompanying himself with a guitar...excellent voice, good covers, at a comfortable volume (we could enjoy our conversation at the table while enjoying the music).

Food: delicious ribs. Tasty sauces (I liked the garlic mustard sauce a tad bit more than the BBQ sauce, which was very good. My nephew had another half-rack of baby-back ribs for dessert. Cuban pulled pork had an intriguing and yummy seasoning. Thursday special: all you can eat fish was average. Crab cake as a basket was good but nothing to write home about (I enjoyed the crab cake at Lazy Days more). Sweet potato fries were very good. Coleslaw seemed homemade and was good. Key lime pie: everyone has their favorite version; Porky's was more on the cheesecake end of the spectrum with average key lime flavor. Generous slice of pie (three of us nibbled on one piece).

Price: a little more than I was expecting, but not overly pricey. Hey, we're on vacation.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Evansville, Indiana
“Great atmosphere, food not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very interesting place next to Spirit Snorkling, great atmosphere right along the harbor. As for food, the coconut shrimp appetizer was wonderful but the pork and catfish are overpriced and catfish extremely under seasoned.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roscoe, Illinois
“Great food and atmosphere!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had lunch at Porky's recently while on a family vacation in the keys. The food was great and our server, Rachel, was friendly and attentive. My husband had the mahi mahi, which was fantastic. I had the North Carolina peppered pulled-pork basket. I thought this was some of the best pulled pork I have ever tasted. Tender and seasoned perfectly! Just spicy enough to let the flavor come through. Delicious!! Our daughters both had the island chicken breast sandwich. They loved it and the French fries. Also loved the atmosphere at Porky's. A unique keys experience!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great "dive" atmosphere with excellent BBQ!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our family really enjoyed our experience dining at Porky's! The beer was cold, the pork BBQ sandwiches were tender and delicious (especially loved topping it with their slaw and garlic mustard BBQ sauce!), and the sweet potato fries were crisp and served with an excellent cinnamon butter. My husband got the ribs and ate every bite. Not sure about those reviews saying the food was mediocre, because we had a great experience! We also had the fried green beans appetizer and ate every bite! Best of all, was the "dive" atmosphere. I loved the relaxed and laid-back feel with live music and tables sitting next to the bay. I totally recommend this place to take a break from the seafood!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Not so good for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stopped by Porky's on the last day of our visit to Marathon this year. We sat on the bayside at a booth and ordered our meal. The service was fast but rushed, the waitress was overloaded. Our food came quickly and it was okay.

The Green Fried Tomatoes weren't great at all; they were a little doughy inside not to mention that they were served with canned salsa. GFT need ranch or bleu cheese as a side. We ordered baskets that came with toast, lettuce, tomato, onion, and a side. My toast was soggy from the juice of the meat. I ordered fries and they were pretty awesome so I give them a plus for that.

Overall, for the money we spent, it was not a good deal. Oh, and the other thing, the condiments on the table were squeeze bottles which did not have caps on them. So with the flies about I didn't feel good about using any of it.

I would not return.