“Awesome time in paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Del Sol Beach Resort

You added Casa Del Sol Beach Resort to your Saves list
Casa Del Sol Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   58182 Overseas Highway, MM58 Oceanside, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Lakeland, Florida
“Awesome time in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We spent a weekend at Casa Del Sol and were really surprised when we opened the door to our room and found a nice condo waiting for us. The view was fabulous from our porch, and we spent plenty of time at the tables enjoying the breezes.
We are first time visitors to the Keys, and were amazed at the color of the water, the palm trees, and how clear the water was. We felt like we were at an exotic location instead of in the U.S.!
We were sorry we had to leave, and plan on taking a spring break trip to stay longer next year, especially since they have units with more bedrooms... we'll bring a bigger crowd next time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
CasaDelSolBeach, Manager at Casa Del Sol Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves, thanks for the feedback.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

first off , let me say the people where amazing it was just what i needed for some r and r with my husband. we had an amazing time and will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the kind words, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Montgomery, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Pros:
Huge room
Clean
AWESOME view
OK beach
Very relaxed/quiet area

Cons: More like an apt than resort (not nec. bad but thought I should point out)
Swimming pool was cold (it was off season and extremely cold for the keys while we were there, but being from MN, we jumped in anyways)
Not close to restaurants/bars but we did take a taxi for a night of fun

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Thanks for the kind words, we work hard to keep everything tip-top. We appreciate the feedback.
Pompano Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We booked in Casa Del Sol for the Labor day weekend. We waned to go fishing with a small both we have. We arrived in the hotel very early at 12 pm., our room was ready and were able to check in. We had a 2 bedroom unit for 4 people was enough. The kitchen and the bathrooms looked renovated, but the living room looked dated. We didn't look for any luxury since we came to enjoy the weekend with our friends, not to look for complains. Anyway, we went to Key west for the afternoon and we came about 8 pm. We decided to have some coffee and when I looked to the Coffee maker it looked like something is missing it was missing actually the coffee pot and the tray you put the coffee in. We realized that the lights on the 2 balconies didn't worked and also the light in the living room, I tried calling the front desk but the phone didn't work either. So I went to the front desk to report that and she called someone. When I got back to the room, my friends found the "missing parts" from the coffee maker inside the dishwasher along with bunch of dirty dishes. 10 min. later the maintenance man came with another coffee maker, but we told him that we found our parts inside the dishwasher with dirty dishes, he advised us to report this at the front desk. He fixed the phone and the light bulbs, which we appreciated very much since it was already 9 pm. ( He was the only one at the resort who was really nice with us, and always willing to help, we met him on the next they too.)
On the next day the housekeeping wanted to clean the room, but we refused cleaning, we exchanged towels only, although the one she gave us ware in very poor condition.
Basically the owner spent some money renovating, but with housekeeping like this I don't think all this will last long. All the dishes and utensils inside the cabinets were dirty, bathroom's cabinets never were clean from the dust, old bottles of shampoo on the shelf, etc. Front desk staff very unpleasant, not rude, but never feel welkomed to the resort.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
I sincerely apologize for the difficulties you encountered. We work hard to make sure every room is ready for our guests and clearly we slipped up here. We want all of our guests to feel welcome and at home, and I'm sorry that you found our hospitality lacking. I am happy to report that we have recently addressed some issues with our housekeeping staff and our current staff is extremely professional and courteous.
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Below Expectations

The Hotel is in need of a little TLC. I had everything we needed - beech, swimming pool, location and 2 bedrooms with Kitchen.
Pity the beech was neglected - please remove the huge pile of rotting seaweed, tidy the recliners at the end of the day and renew the broken seats! - if they did this it would be so much better.
Signage - the sign is overgrown by trees so obscured as you drive down the Keys from Miami - so is easily missed - it can be seen from the other way (oh except by night as it is no longer illuminated). Where do they think their customers are coming from Key West?
Oh 1 Knife and 2 forks for a family of 4 - a bit more attention to detail please.
No smoking room great - but clean the cigar butts off the balcony from previous residents.
The room lighting is best operated by pulling the plugs out a bit difficult when you need to put them back on again.
Overall they just need to try harder they are sitting on a potentially good facility, which clearly was a good quality hotel some time ago.

They need to put their customers first – we reported a few faults with the room at the end of the stay – they thanked us – then put an unexplained charge on our bill – didn’t find out about this until I got back to the UK, I asked for a response but no explanation was received – again customer service is a key factor in the hotel industry, not sitting behind 3 computer screens for the 3 hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thanks for the review- we do address these things every day and work hard to keep our resort in top shape. Hopefully you'll stay with us again and find that our resort is always improving!
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Whenever we travel I always check Trip Advisor for their accurate reviews of hotels where we've never been before. That is the reason why I chose Casa Del Sol. It received some decent reviews . Apparently the reviewers were so wrong here!
We planned a last minute trip to the keys and had plans to visit some friends in Marathon. We usually stay in Islamorada at the Hampton Inn, but they were booked. Casa Del Sol seemed like a nice place to stay so we booked it for two nights. $139 -$159 .BIG MISTAKE!! Beth was very nice and helpful when booking our reservation on short notice,one day prior to arrival. She informed me of the no refund policy at the time of booking. She also informed me that the hotel was very clean . No pets are allowed and no smoking is permitted. Well first off it seems that any hotel in the Keys that has a pool no matter what condition the hotel is in they call it a "Resort". We arrived at the "Resort " at 3:45 and were not a bit impressed. You have to go next door to The Yellowtail Inn to check in. The Casa Del Sol has 10 units . We were given room #201. We always leave our luggage in the car until we check out our room just in case there are any problems.This is a good idea, remember that. We booked a two bedroom,1 1/2 bath unit. One queen bed in each bedroom. We went to check out the view from the living room and the wand was missing from the blinds. We used one from the other window blind and once it was opened you couldn't close it. Next we checked out the bedrooms. The light switch doesn't work with the lamps and the rooms were dimly lit. I pulled back the bedspread to make sure there wasn't any bugs in the bed and I noticed that the pillows were so old, filthy and badly stained . YUCK!! How can anyone make up a bed with pillows that are so disgusting?????? The linens were in need of a good washing with some clorox.They were stained as well. It makes you wonder what the mattress might look like. We went back to the office and told her what we found and asked to be moved to another unit. After Beth called the owner and explained that I wanted to be moved because I found the pillows to be old and ratty we were given unit #204. Upon walking in, the kitchen had a sweet smell. This unit was larger in size . One king bed. Two queens in the other bedroom. 2 1/2 baths. Once again I pulled back the bedspread and checked out the bed.The pillows were old and flat but not as stained as the other ones.The linens needed a good washing with some clorox as well. Stained and very dingy. We took the unit anyway.I told Beth about the odd smell and she gave me a can of glade spray air freshener. I asked for extra towels and was told housekeeping left at 4:00 it was now 4:10 and Beth did her best to find some towels for us but the ones she gave us were so badly discolored that I don't think clorox would even help! She also gave me a one use packet of Tide. We brought up our luggage and then realized there isn't anywhere to put your luggage on besides leaving it flat on the floor. Not a dresser,counter or luggage rack. The bathroom doesn't have any counter space either. The living room has a big screen t.v. circa 1980's with a remote that is missing buttons. Something you need if you want to watch t.v. The t.v.'s that are in the bedrooms are 20 inch which are situated on a dresser that is just as wide as the t.v. and placed in the corner of the room which is very hard to see a screen that small from the bed. I know that you're not there to watch t.v. but I like to watch the news and get updates on the weather. We left to meet our friends for dinner.I stopped in at the office to inform Beth of the broken remote and she offered to replace it but I said no I just did not want to get blamed for breaking it. Upon returning to the resort around 11:30 there were only five cars including ours in the parking area.When we walked to get the elevator it was very dark and not well lit to see where you are walking.Upon entering our unit we noticed that the kitchen is very dimly lit. There isn't any ceiling light and only one light under the cabinets and lighting above the cabinets.I opened up the dishwasher and I didn't have my glasses on but I noticed a bug on the handle so I grabbed a tissue and killed it.Then I saw another one and this time I went and put on my glasses and then I noticed that these bugs were all over the inside of the dishwasher !! Then I went eye level with the countertops (granite and black) and my gosh, the counters were covered with these bugs everywhere!!! Then I noticed there were crumbs on the counter, under the toaster and on the floor. I looked in the sink and there was food dried onto the bottom of it. It was then I took a closer look at the overall cleanliness of this unit and realized that it looked as though it was never cleaned from the previous guests!! The kitchen chairs had cookie crumbs on them. The table had crumbs. The kitchen floors had crumbs scattered on it.The stovetop was covered in grease. The refrigerator had handprints all over the front doors. The living room couch armrest had crumbs as well.The lanai had an ashtray that was filled with cigarette butts and beer caps. Remember this is a smoke free resort. Why was an ashtray provided?? I checked the washing machine and it had seaweed and lord knows what else that stuck to the tub. The dryer lint filter looked like no one ever emptied it. But I did. I ran the washer empty with detergent then I washed all the towels before we used them. Checked for bugs in the other rooms and found some there also. Dead and alive. Thank goodness our luggage was zipped closed. We decided to take our luggage back to the car and leave it there. We would make trips to the car just to get what we needed. We left ALL the lights on when we went to bed. When we woke up the following morning there was a large dead ROACH in the master bedroom bathroom!!!! We ate all our meals out. Never used a dish,glass or utensil. We went to the store and bought cleaning supplies and cleaned one bathroom to use. I refused housekeeping. We only slept and showered there. I washed the bath towels that were provided. After our morning shower we left for the whole day only returning in the evening . When it was check out day I did a walk through for any of our belongings. I then looked in a nightstand drawer only to find a crumpled up napkin and at least 50 dead bugs!!!! When we checked out I informed Beth about the cleanliness issues and that there is a serious bug problem here. Dead roach,bugs crawling all over the kitchen etc. She didn't act surprised. She never took her eyes off of the computer. Never apologized. Nothing. All she said to me is "you're in the sub tropics and we spray and it kills the bugs for two weeks."
Apparently they are aware of the bugs in this place.
That sweet smell in our unit.....was it a bug bomb??????????????
I know you're thinking why didn't you just check out? Because there are NO refunds!!!
The Yellowtail are the same owners. Read the reviews. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. If one unit has an issue with bug infestation it doesn't stop there. Bugs travel from unit to unit. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone!!!!!!!!!!! You can stay in the Keys bug free! But not in this place!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We have spent a long time renovating the suites, with new television sets, new lighting, new appliances and dishes, and new furniture as well. We now have a full-time employee who inspects the rooms each day, whose responsibility is to enter each room as though he is a guest, and make sure that everything is in top shape. We have a new housekeeping staff that is very experienced and professional. As for roaches, I have never seen a cockroach in Casa del Sol, but do take extensive preventative measures.
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

My parents and I stayed at the Casa Del Sol Beach Resort located on Mile Marker 58 in Marathon, FL for a couple of days in the month of August. It was just a short vacation before school starts and work begins. It was a last minute trip and we had never been to the Florida Keys. Therefore, we had no idea what was around and/or what to expect. My parents wanted something cheap that was located right on the beach. Since Key West didn’t have that many places to stay on the beach, they suggested trying and finding something close nearby on maybe another close key. After searching for an hour, it was between this property or another located on Mile Marker 93 in Islamorada. We wanted something close to Key West, so we decided on Casa Del Sol since it was on MM 58. Tripadvisor.com gave this place a “2 out of 14”. You may think that is an awesome rating, however now we know otherwise. It is because there are hardly any other places in Marathon and all the other places are in desperate need of remodeling. There are no brand name hotels or resorts in the area. Everything in Marathon is a Mom and Pop shop or resort.

Description Inside:

According to the reviews on Trip Advisor, this place was recently remodeled. The building has a total of 10 two bedroom units and probably one three bedroom and four bedroom units located at another building close by. Every two bedroom unit has one full and one-half bathrooms, a full kitchen, and a washer and dryer in the kitchen. The kitchen countertops and bathroom sinks are all granite, but use a cheap wood imitation for the cabinets and storage. Every kitchen has eating utensils and glasses. There is a stove, microwave, and toaster oven. All the appliances (including washer/dryer) look like they were bought off the Best Buy catalog when Frigidaire was on sale because that is the name brand of all the appliances. One of the bedrooms faces the pool (w/ balcony and two chairs) while the other faces the other side onto the outside walkway. Each bedroom has a TV, a tremendous amount of closet/storage space, and a queen size bed. The bedroom located next to the outside walkway has an iron and an ironing board in the closet. The full bathroom located next to the bedrooms has that cheap wood and granite like I previously mentioned, a tub/shower, and a VERY SMALL toilet. The half-bathroom, located next to the kitchen and living room, also has that cheap wood, granite, and a VERY SMALL toilet. Finally, the living room has two sofas, three lamps, and a large TV. The living room also has a balcony with two chairs. So, in total, there are two balconies each with two chairs.

Description outside:

The parking is extremely convenient located right under the building since it is off the ground due to the fact of the sea levels in Key West and the restrictions provided by Monroe County. Each unit’s balconies face the pool and some units face the ocean view. The resort has a standard pool with some lounge chairs and a shower to rinse off. The beach is located behind the pool. It has beach chairs (or more like lounge chairs) and a hammock. It is honestly an awesome view!!!

Calls and Internet:

According to the rules, you can make free local calls and 1-800 calls even though the sticker on the phone says otherwise. I know this because I asked. For long distance, you must pay $.75 for each minute. There is no free Wi-Fi in the building. You must pay a total of $10 a day for Wi-Fi. I think $10 a day is a complete rip-off. It should be for free since it does not cost that much to have Wireless DSL nowadays. Having it for free would also attract more business.

Arrival:

When we first arrived, we got a unit that was in horrible shape and needed major re-cleaning and remodeling. After complaining to the nice lady in the office, she gave us another unit with a better ocean view. At least this showed that they were willing to help, which is a plus. However, our unit still had problems, but not like the unit before.

Parking Complaints:

NONE! It was great, right under the complex and it was free and plenty of it!!!!

Dining Room Complaints:

Like I mentioned previously, the dining area is very small. It basically consists of a table and six chairs and it is located at the door right where you walk in/out of the unit. It is the first thing you see coming into the unit. The chairs and table are outdated, but does not matter because it served its purpose. It is a big table, I will admit that!

Living Room Complaints:

The lamps in the living room didn’t work because the light bulbs were burnt out, at least we think. The sofas were as hard as a rock. The TV was outdated and you cannot see clearly the channels. As soon as Comcast upgrades to digital migration in that neighborhood, I wonder what they are going to do.

Bedroom Complaints:

The beds were really uncomfortable and were as hard as a rock, too. The layouts of the rooms were completely wrong. All the walls needed repainting. We were not able to close the doors without moving the beds. If you are sleeping in the bedroom that faces the outside walkway, you will hear the noise from the trucks and cars that passes by on the main road at night. If you are sleeping in the bedroom facing the pool with the balcony, you will probably hear the people at night in the pool, even though the pool is supposed to close at sunset and there are no lights whatsoever to see. In addition, both TV’s in the bedrooms are also outdated and the one bedroom with the balcony facing the pool was way too small.

Bathroom Complaints:

The water pressure in the half-bathroom did not work correctly. You flush the toilet once and are not able to use it again for half an hour. In addition, the sink faucet hardly had any water pressure. The other full bathroom worked fine and my only complaint is that small toilet. Just to note that both bathrooms are properly ventilated.

Location Complaints:

Being so far away from civilization might sound awesome, but it really was not. Yes, you are right on the main road and there are plusses and minuses to that. The plus is that you are right on the main road meaning easy access, yet the minus is that everything is so far away. For example, the nearest McDonald’s is located 9 miles away along with Publix and Winn-Dixie. I am used to having a McDonald’s on every corner block. There are really no restaurants or anything nearby. All you have is that restaurant on the premises. However, the restaurant on the premises was never visited by us because it did not look appealing to us. Plus, it closes early. God knows how the food there actually is. The resort does not offer breakfast of any kind.

Beach/Pool Complaints:

To me, it is NOT a beach, but more of a sandbar all around. The water is always low tide except at around 3:00pm, but you still can’t swim in it. The water level reaches like a foot at high tide, and 3 inches in low tide. To me, that is not a beach!!!! However, the Atlantic Ocean view is beautiful and to walk on the sand during sunset is awesome!!! The pool was dirty, so I never went in. In addition, there are no lights to light up the ocean or pool at night. People were still inside the pool at midnight screaming while the unit’s bedroom with the balcony can hear them at night.

Cleanliness Complaints:

The unit was still dirty, but much cleaner than the previous. Yes, they do come and clean every day as well as put clean towels using the unit’s washer/dryer to clean them. Yet, it is just not enough. However, this was not my main issue because it’s not like there were roaches or anything. However, for the price, I expected a hotel feeling, of which we did not get.

Conclusion (Final Thought/Complaints):

Honestly, I feel it’s not worth the money. The place looks like they never finished remodeling it. Just to be clear, this was not a motel nor did it feel or look like a motel. Putting a few cabinets, granite countertops, new sinks with faucets, and some new appliances just doesn’t cut it. If they are going to remodel, make sure you remodel EVERYTHING!!!! There is not much to do there. I just got really bored from everything being so far away and the property not having clean or free amenities. In the end, I left it alone and did not say anything because I didn’t want to cause any problems. We wanted to stay at Key West and there are big hotels there that offer the same packages for the same price and offer free internet and breakfast. Just for futures sake, if I ever go and visit Key West again, I will NOT be staying at the Casa Del Sol Beach Resort and I do not recommend it. People can do so much better for the same price!!! The only thing I miss is that walk along the “beach” at sunset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, it is not the worst place in the world. However, they need to fix their problems. If they would make that into a true resort, then it would be a nice place to stay for families.

• Stayed August 2010
Thank you for your very thorough review, we appreciate the kind words as well as your criticism. I would like to specify however that we do have free wireless internet here, as we always have. We work very hard to make sure everything is working smoothly in all of our rooms, such as checking lightbulbs and the batteries in the remote controls.
Sandy beaches, as I'm sure you're aware, do not occur naturally in the Florida Keys. These are coral rock islands, and any sandy beaches you find here are man-made. We are very proud of our private beach, and we haul in fresh sand every season, and we clean the sea-grass that comes in with each tide several times each week.

Been to Casa Del Sol Beach Resort? Share your experiences!