“New Management - Great Future” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Latin, Pizza, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night
Bradenton, Florida
“New Management - Great Future”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have been coming to the Keys since the mid 1950’s. I have seen many restaurants come and go. I have also seen many good restaurants go through tough times because of employee issues. As you can see from reading reviews of restaurants, a bad encounter with an employee can destroy the reputation of an otherwise outstanding establishment. The Tarpon Creek Bar & Grill is an outstanding restaurant. Here’s why. The restaurant’s initial management had a lease to run the restaurant and marina. Things did not go well. Upon expiration of the lease, the company who owns the property for the Holiday Inn Express, the restaurant and marina did not renew the lease and put their own management team in place. This has made a huge difference for the better. Yes, as reviews indicated, your server, Tina, is fantastic as is the restaurant management team. Everyone is working very hard to overcome a rough start. Do not hesitate to recommend the restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Florida Keys
“Somethings missing--”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Ate here recently and it wasn't all that bad. Not to say it was GREAT but I'll probably go back.

It wasn't terribly crowded and we ended up sitting at the bar. The view is really beautiful at the bar. These folks tho, need to lighten up--and maybe crack a smile and enjoy their jobs. My martini, made by the female bartender, was horrible and skimpy, I never saw vermouth go into it. She kept shaking the mixer and by the time I got it, it tasted like watered down vodka, ech!

I liked the fish tacos and my husband liked his pizza. We also had conch fritters that were okay. Not huge portions by any means and as some have said, not the cheapest place.

Yes, this place has potential. If the bar staff doesn't start creating an up beat atmosphere, I'm afraid they'll scare everyone away.

For the money and portions, I'll probably go next door to either the Islander or Sparky's and give them some more time to work out their quirks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Key Colony Beach, Florida, United States
“A struggle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Ate there tonight with friends- waitress was on a space trip. No utensils or plates for appetizers, inattentive, drink orders wrong and just plain sorry service. Mentioned to her that she was not doing a good job and reply was that she was so busy. Restaurant was maybe 25% full. Manager came over on a pass through and we voiced our concerns. He was very nice and tried to make things right. Food was good and hopefully the management can get things together as you can tell they are trying. Training is the key and it seems if a young person shows up and says they are an experienced wait person they are hired and turned loose. Many a good meal is ruined by service.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Typical tourist fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Good food but small portions for the price. Tina was my server and was excellent. Had the steak frite for $21, and got 2 small (4-6oz) pieces of steak and Fries with slaw. Fries were just ok and slaw was fair. Overall value was not good. Obviously geared to tourists who don't have a clue what other local restaurants have to offer in terms of portions and value

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“If you want great atmosphere with poor service and average food, come here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The outdoor seating, right on the water was awesome. The service, however, + bad food ruined our experience. First we asked for water with our drinks and our server never brought them. Then my husband's silverwear was wrapped in a dirty napkin. The server was very friendly, but a little too friendly and became annoying. Our food was pretty bad on top of everything else. I had the steak frites and my steak was over cooked. My husband had the shrimp pizza and the sauce was described to us as a garlic cream sauce (was not described on the menu) but it tasted like goat cheese and no garlic. I normally would love goat cheese but I'm pregnant so I can't eat it but only realized after I had taken a couple of bites. My husband hates goat cheese and keeps saying he needs to wash his mouth out with gasoline to remove the taste.

All in all we loved the atmosphere but tarpon needs to work on everything else.

• 2 of 5 stars Food