“If you want great atmosphere with poor service and average food, come here.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tarpon Creek Bar & Grill

Ranked #22 of 72 restaurants in Marathon
Cuisines: American, Latin, Pizza, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
“If you want great atmosphere with poor service and average food, come here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

The outdoor seating, right on the water was awesome. The service, however, + bad food ruined our experience. First we asked for water with our drinks and our server never brought them. Then my husband's silverwear was wrapped in a dirty napkin. The server was very friendly, but a little too friendly and became annoying. Our food was pretty bad on top of everything else. I had the steak frites and my steak was over cooked. My husband had the shrimp pizza and the sauce was described to us as a garlic cream sauce (was not described on the menu) but it tasted like goat cheese and no garlic. I normally would love goat cheese but I'm pregnant so I can't eat it but only realized after I had taken a couple of bites. My husband hates goat cheese and keeps saying he needs to wash his mouth out with gasoline to remove the taste.

All in all we loved the atmosphere but tarpon needs to work on everything else.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
“Wanted to try something new in Marathon and was disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We've been traveling to the Keys for years and wanted to try something new than our usual restaurants. Once seated, we were greeted with our waitress who wasn't very friendly and couldn't give us any recommendations on drinks or entrees. We started off with the yellow tail ceviche which was good. My husband had the mahi (grilled) which he enjoyed but I was disappointed with my yellow tail fish and chips. I read on a previous TA review about the cracker meal batter and I think the waitress put in the order wrong because it tasted like regular batter. The portions were very small for the prices. Overall the ambience is beautiful looking over the water but the service combined with the entrees were just okay.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tahoma, California
“Hidden gem in Marathon!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a stunning open air high end tiki style restaurant. We have visited several of the local restaurants in the area, Tarpon Creek is by far our favorite for atmosphere, food and service. The restaurant is behind the Holiday Inn Express. We drove thru their parking lot but I am sure there is a separate entry. The restaurant is a very well done open air thatch building right on the water. The building is stunning!!!! Worth going there just to view the craftsmanship, but grab a drink at the bar and watch the boats go by. I love the giant copper fish in the center of the restaurant, it's very impressive!!! The restaurant is extremely well laid out and very clean. We had the Cuban rice balls, conch fritters, lobster pot pie and the grouper. Actually, we had two orders of the conch fritters because they were that good. Prices were lower than expected...we paid more for less at other local places. As a bonus there is a marina on property to rent jet skis, fishing tours, etc...Also a very nice gift shop with wonderful items at great prices. Actually, I was shocked to see a gift shop be so reasonable in the keys!!! Not your usual junk but nice gifts you would be proud to take home. We were so impressed with the quality food and atmosphere that we ate there for the rest of our vacation!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious food, great spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was right behind our hotel, which was very convenient. We tried it on the first night of our vaca. I got a large piña colada margarita, which was awesome! We got the Cuban rice ball appetizer, and for dinner I ordered the steak mini burgers. Everything was really delicious! The steak minis had fresh cucumber and tomato slices, which was refreshing and something different from what you might expect. Prices were a little high ($100 for dinner for 4 including 3 drinks, although 2 of them were large margaritas) but worth it, in my opinion. The retaurant itself was very nice yet casual. Our server seemed a little aloof (had to tell her my drink order 3 times, haha..) but that didnt ruin our experience. Would definitely come back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Nice location and great cocktail options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I went for a couple drinks and appetizers... The service was good. We sat at the bar and the bartender was busy but didnt ignore us at all. The cocktail list was very yummy, can't remember the name of the drink (go figure) but it has a melon liquor in it and was very good. They also give a locals discount which is nice for us locals. Pricing is a little higher then expected for what you get but I will return!

• 4 of 5 stars Food