“Great Afternoon of Fishing” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 72 Activities in Marathon
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: I am Capt. Kevin Johnsen owner/operator of FKRA. I am a 26 year Middle Keys resident and have a great understanding of the desires and needs of my customers. My business caters to nearly everybody by building custom trips for all interests and skill levels. My goal is to provide a rewarding and successful day on the water to ensure priceless memories within a safe and comfortable environment. I build lasting relationships and earn repeat customers with my unique style and easy going personality. The ocean is the reason we live here and I offer you affordable access to our waters from my custom 25' center console catamaran. My boat is a stable platform that outperforms all boats in its class, providing a superior ride with the twin hull design and custom set up. I specialize in family fishing, reef fishing, deep wreck fishing, offshore trolling, lobstering, ,snorkeling and spearfishing. Additionally, I offer many other types of fishing and specialty trips, so please visit my website for more detailed information. See exactly what my customers are doing on their vacations. I hope to see you on the water soon and be the captain of your next ocean adventure!!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Great Afternoon of Fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Capt. Kevin Johnsen guided my family of 5 to a great afternoon of fishing. He listened to what I wanted in a trip and put us on the fish in less than 25 minutes (run-time & instruction). The family caught approximately 80 fish of 12 different varieties. We kept 19 (Yellowtails, Porgies, Hogfish & Triggerfish) for two dinners. Using 7 ft spinning rods made every fish an adventure. He was patient with us and not only explained 'how' to fish, but 'why' it was done that way as well. We had a short 10 minute ride to the marina after our last spot of fishing. I've been on quite a few charters, but this was the most fun 4 hours of all. Give Kevin a call if you are lucky enough to be in Marathon, FL.

Visited December 2013

Seneca, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Last minute fishing adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I came down to visit my long time best friend the weekend before Christmas and Captain Kevin Johnson took us out for an amazing day of fishing. We had red carpet treatment from the start. He took us to several great fishing spots and overall we had the best day! He even taught me how to spear fish! :-) I can't wait to charter my next fishing trip with him. Great Job!!

Visited December 2013
Millstone, New Jersey
“Killed it in the Keys - 11/7/2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Great trip on the reef yesterday. Despite light currents Kevin was able to deliver a great day of fishing. His knowledge certainly pays off! Hit the snappers and grouper for the first half of the trip then landed several "trophy" cero mackerel. Can't go wrong with Kevin. We will continue to use him again and again on our future visits. Great time had by all!

Doug C.

Visited November 2013
North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
“Best Day of our Trip and Perfect Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day visit to Duck Key where we hiked, kayaked, snorkeled, swam with dolphins, explored out islands, and visited multiple state parks. Everyone's favorite day by far was fishing with Kevin and FL Keys Reel Adventures. We caught so many fish that we ended up releasing more than we kept - which was enough to feed our family 2 huge dinners and still have leftovers! We caught every variety of snapper, including our captain's third ever American Red, and a few sharks. My youngest even hooked a bait-stealing seagull, who Kevin promptly rescued and released.

I did a lot of research prior to our trip and had 5 charters on my list, with Kevin as first choice. We were originally booked for Saturday, but moved it to Friday when the weather looked perfect. That happened to be my birthday, so I warned Kevin that the pressure was on for a memorable day. When we walked up to the fuel dock, he had decorated the entire boat with balloons and inflatables and told everyone at the marina to wish me Happy Birthday... now that is customer service!

Once out on the water, he provided constant helpful instruction based on what we were trying to catch. Kevin was also very quick to change locations or targeted species if the fish were not biting. The biggest lesson our boys learned was that whoever was the best listener and followed instructions - caught the most fish. I was 4/4 on mangrove snapper to start the morning, simply doing exactly what Kevin told me to. (No luck on the larger species for me, but everyone else scored.)

We brought our snorkeling equipment along, and Kevin frequently offered to switch things up based on what the boys wanted to do. They stuck with fishing the entire 6 hours! Once back at the dock, he quickly cleaned our catch and recommended dining at Lazy Days where they would prepare our fish multiple ways. Again - just follow Kevin's advice - dinner was fabulous.

Bottom line - if you think "catching" is a lot more fun than "fishing" and want a perfect day tailored specifically to your needs, then look no further than Captain Kevin Johnsen. We highly recommend him and look forward to a return trip.

Visited October 2013
“Best charter ever!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Best charter ever!!! Captain Kevin did a great job teaching myself how to get lobster and help my husband get to the right areas where the lobsters are! Within 2 hours we had our boat limit and then captain Kevin cleaned them up for us. It was a great time and he really knew what he was doing. I highly recommend this charter and can't wait to go fishing with him again!!!

Visited September 2013