“Horrible Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 61 activities in Marathon
Type: Marinas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Boat and kayak rentals. Daily, weekly near shore or offshore. Full bait and tackle store.
Concord, North Carolina
“Horrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Reserved a 17' Proline and paid $400 in advance. A week before getting the boat, they called and offered us a larger boat for the same price as the 17' would not be available. On the day we were supposed to get the boat, it would not run. They kept promising to have it fixed, but in the meantime would let us use a pontoon boat (this is at 12:30, half the rental day gone). The pontoon boat was a wreck! It had trouble starting, smoked really bad, was filthy, and had rotted exposed wood. They promised to have the 21' to us by 8:00 the next morning. At 9:15 I drove to the marina and they had not even come in yet. At 9:30 the owner came in and said they'd get the boat delivered. I was totally fed up with them at this point and demanded my money back. The owner generated a credit for half the amount, claiming they had given me a boat when promised. I nearly came unglued, and "insisted" they return the full amount. They finally did. I do not recommend this marina as they nearly ruined our vacation. Also, their boats are old and poorly maintained (at least the two I saw).

Visited December 2013

Jacksonville, Florida
“total rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had booked a 21' Seaquest for vacation. We arrived to find no one there so we did not get a once on operation of the boat. Could not sign off on any existing damage to boat that I might have been charged for. No VHF. The boat was a mess and nothing worked. Battery was dead. Bilge pump on/off switch was connected to another switch. No cushions for the family to sit on as promised. We got a call the next day just before noon saying all it was was a dead battery. This was 1 1/2 days into our vacation of 4 days. They only had 2 other boats available and both were junk. They DO NOT look like the pictures on their web site. If you want unseaworthy broken down boats you will love this place. We finally ended up renting a nice boat from Captain Hooks at the Vaca Cut on Overseas Hwy so we only had 2 days on the water instead of 4.

Visited September 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good people, bad time.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

When I looked at their website, the boats looked new and well maintained. However, the 21 ft Seafox we rented did not have the 225 hp motor, but a 150 hp motor, which did not power the boat well. It was difficult to keep the boat on plane in a light chop. Since we only went out 3 miles into the Bay and back it didn't seem to matter much. We were told the boat was full of gas when we left, and that we could refuel it when we returned . However, upon our return, we were told that the marina had run out of gas and we would have to make a one hour plus roundtrip to Capt. Hooks Marina to refuel. Their marina refueling dock was small and busy. It took 28 gallons and $145 to refuel the boat. Upon our return to SPM the very helpful friend who was watching the place, as the owners were not there, said he would make it right,and he did. He got on the phone and then gave us $100 cash back for our troubles. While the situation was resolved to our satisfaction we won't go back. The ramshackle state of the marina, (no tp in the 3rd world restrooms), and the owner drinking a Corona at 9:30 AM definitely played a part in our decision. If you rent from these pleasant enough people, keep your fingers crossed.

Visited August 2013
norway
“Fraud!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

From the other reviews I see that Silver Palm must actually have some nice boats for rental and I guess we were just one of the unlucky ones. They obviously have a few crap boats they rent out for stupid tourists like us who paid up front and did not know what we would get. We rented a boat for 4 days and we did not check anything as we trusted the boat was ok. Turned out we rented a wreck and nothing was in working order. After the first day we did not risk bringing it out again as none of the instruments were working and there was an alarm going off all the time and no, it was not the GPS as we were told when we sent them an email afterwards. We are experienced boaters from Norway and know what is safe and what is not. We went back to the office several times but it was closed, we tried to call the owner but got the message he was not accesible! Ended up with paying for 4 days but only used it for a couple of hours when we picked it up. We travel a lot and this is our very first experience with fraud. Please take care to check what you get form this rental agency as they do have a few wrecks and may not be available if you need them. Worst boat rental experience ever!

Visited July 2013
“Refund impossible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Great value here rent a boat for 3 days get 4th free staff was always wonderful and knowledgable to me until something outside anyone's control happened. The boat I had lined up for rental ran aground. And from there on getting any return phone call about confirmation of my refund was not returned even the emails I sent. I am very happy I put this on my credit card as they are using their billing assistance department to help. My refund has been credited. I have no complaints with this company other than a simple phone call to confirm my 50% deposit was all I needed. I go down to the keys every year and will be looking elsewhere to rent.

Visited June 2013