“100% Satisfied!!! Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars

Coral Lagoon Resort & Marina
4.0 of 5 Ranch   |   12399 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Hotel deals
Miami, Florida, United States
“100% Satisfied!!! Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We got married in Marathon in March 2012. Many of our friends and family traveled very far to be a part of our special day. After thoroughly searching for a resort that could accommodate all of our needs we chose Coral Lagoon Resort and Marina. It is a small but newer resort which was perfect for us. We basically rented out the entire resort for a 4-day weekend so we had enough time to get a real feel of the place. The townhouses were very clean and spacious. I did read some reviews before selecting this resort about how the Property Manager was rude, the townhouses were not clean, and there weren’t enough towels, etc… so I was a little hesitant. Rest assured everything was FANTASTIC!!! Like I said, we rented out the entire resort so I had a chance to go inside every single unit and they all looked fine. The Property Manager, he was a delight and very easy to work with. If we needed anything he was always willing to help and if the office wasn’t open we had a # to reach him directly. Since, they don’t operate like a normal hotel with daily housekeeping…yes we had to wash our own towels with the laundry detergent they provided. Big deal! Overall, the location and property was a great place to stay. I can’t wait to go back! I have absolutely no complaints and I am 100% satisfied. We also rented the “banquet room” on location where we held our wedding reception. Again, it was wonderful! For several months before the big day I worked with Claudia in customer service who handled all of our reservations. She was also very pleasant to work and I cannot thank her enough. I totally recommend Coral Lagoon Resort to anyone looking for accommodations in the Keys area. It’s a hidden GEM!!!

Room Tip: Units 1-6 are a little more secluded and have a great view of the water.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Plainfield, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The good:

1. We booked a 2 br and were upgraded to a 3 br.

2. This is a very small resort/condo property so it was quiet even during March (spring break time).

3. All condos are on the canal, steps from your patio set on the deck. The view for the price is great and relaxing.

4. The pool was small but very clean and quiet. We went there several times. (It says no drinks/etc. at the pool but I didn't see anyone following the rules the few times I saw people at the pool.)

5. Cable. They have TVs in every bedroom and the living room. This came in handy because we didn't want to spend much time on the grimy living room furniture.

6. The layout. The layout of the condo is exactly like the layout of the condos at Hawks Cay, etc. which is what we wanted. We had stayed at Hawks Cay previously (this place is no comparison -- Hawks Cay was amazing) and wanted something similar to the condo we stayed in there but in a different price range.

The bad:

1. The condo was dirty. Both dirty from (A) not being cleaned properly prior to our arrival and (B) the upholstery not being cleaned properly for the last several years. We had the extra bedroom so I used the blanket from one of the beds and put it on a chair in the living room. I can only describe the living room furniture as "grimy." It was grimy enough to feel. They either need to buy new furniture or invest in washable slipcovers. They crazy part is that the beds were just fine--it was just the downstairs living room furniture that was gross. There was also a bleach stain or something at the top of the stairs carpeting and scuffs on the walls. The curtains covering the patio doors had a mystery stain on them.

2. False advertising. I called in advance to make sure that we would have kitchen utensils/appliances because their website advertises a "full gourmet kitchen" but I noticed a review on here after I booked that someone arrived and there was nothing to cook with. They promised our kitchen would be stocked. We arrived and there were three small (really small) frying pans, a tiny saucepan, no mixing bowls, and zero spatulas. We did have: a blender, coffee maker, oven, fridge, microwave, three steak knives, three paring knives, a couple plates, bowls, coffee mugs and glasses. Given what we had, we had to do a lot of dishes to reuse everything for each dinner. This was also a problem. The kitchen comes with exactly two dishwasher soap packets and one trash bag. Plan on shopping for: dishwasher detergent, trash bags, something to clean the counter with, aluminum foil to use as a baking pan, coffee filters (the cone kind), etc. There is a Publix and a Winn Dixie in Marathon.

3. Laundry. If you have more than 2 people you will need to do a lot of laundry. The place comes with 2 packets of detergent. There were four towels which was sufficient for us, but not if you have more people (i.e. enough to fill a three bedroom condo!).

4. The Internet. The wifi stopped working for 2 days. I called the number they gave us to call if we experienced problems. They acknowledged the problem and said someone was scheduled to come out to look at it. That was it. 2 days later it started working again. This is a problem as one of the reasons I booked this resort was that it advertised free wifi which I needed to check in at work. There was no modem/ethernet cable in our condo so when the wifi stopped working I had to go to the McDonalds and hang out there to use their internet. I wasn't very happy to spend part of my vacation in McDonalds.

Some other notes:
1. No housekeeping, thus the need to purchase things yourself and do your own laundry/dishes.
2. There is a marina that is part of this property and you can rent a boat slip if you want. (We did not.)
3. If you are up for it, this is within walking distance of Sparky's Landing, a good little restaurant/bar. It's about a 15 minute walk and there are sidewalks all the way. There is not much else within walking distance.
4. You do not "check in" and "check out." You call the day of or the day in advance and they tell you how to access your key card from the lockbox in front of your condo. The day you leave you just stick them back in the lockbox.
5. You have to sign a waiver to get the pool key. The "front desk" place was not always open as advertised, I had to go several times during regular business hours before I found it unlocked, with someone there. This wasn't really a problem for us, though.

Room Tip: Unit 8 has grimy furniture
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

very clean place, and nice private swiming pool, right on the water,
very close, to marathon only 10 milles, i will stay there anythime

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I suspect that anyone staying for the first time will be surprised because there is no front desk and there are no services. This appears to be a small development that got caught up in the real estate mess. It looks to me that since they can't sell these they are renting them. We spent a month in Coral Lagoon and we enjoyed our stay very much. Our 3 bedroom was clean and nicely furnished. High Speed cable internet was provided in the unit and there is also wifi. Part of this complex are two big indoor boat storage buildings and a small marina.

We would stay here again anytime.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We traveled to the Keys for our February vacation with two adults and three teenagers. We were looking for a place in the middle Keys that could serve as ‘base camp’ for day trips to both the upper and lower Keys. We were also looking for a good value – nice place at a fair price. This place was just right on all scores. The rooms were nice, clean, modern, and tastefully decorated. Very easy self check- in/check-out. We felt safe and secure our entire stay here. It was no more than about an hour to almost anywhere in the Keys we wanted to travel. The large porches, both upstairs and down, on the back of the condo were a very nice touch. We ate breakfast outside every morning. We were right on a private canal, and had we had a boat, would have had a private slip right outside our door! The location, quality and price were awesome.
All that said, when we travel, we always rent a place with a kitchen. We plan on doing most of our cooking ourselves because a) we love it, and b) it’s a LOT cheaper than dinging out every night. This was easily the most poorly equipped kitchen I’ve ever seen in a rental. They had the absolute, bare minimum of plates, cups, etc, and we were constantly washing dishes just to keep our ‘minimum.’ There were no serving plates, bowls, or platters. The pots were poorly maintained, and the one pan offered was literally unusable. We had to buy our own pan at the local Kmart so that we could prep our meals.
Now – if you have no interest in cooking for yourself, and plan to dine out, this is a FIVE star option, no questions asked. But if you want to prepare any meals of your own – keep in mind that the kitchen is not well equipped at all.

Room Tip: The kitchen needs more of the basics if you plan on prepping your own meals
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Margate, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

First trip down to the keys with my family and I had a great expereince at coral lagoon resort, the rooms were amazaing & the view was incredible. My family and I had a fun time, it was very relaxing and I cant wait to go back :)......

Room Tip: no tips needed all the rooms are the same.......
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Stayed in mid December for a few days with 3 little kids.
Loved the house - beautifully decorated (see pictures), very comfortable, and great view (especially if you love to the water from your living room, bedroom, and porch).
If only the pool was heated - I would have give it 5 stars.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Coral Lagoon Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!