“Drive past the big key largo operations and go directly to Halls” 5 of 5 stars

305-743-5929
Website
Improve this listing
7 attraction reviews
“Drive past the big key largo operations and go directly to Halls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

There are not even words to express the dive operation. Professional, go the extra mile, great service, well organized are not even close to the level of the entire staff. They set the standard in the keys. I make at least 20+ in the keys every year and this year I found Hall's from a friend. I'll be buying him a great dinner. Shallow or deep reefs or wrecks, they put you on the best spots. Of note is they did 1 hr trip to the Thunderbollt with 4 divers because they promised to go there that day. If you want to dive, dive, dive go to Halls.

Visited June 2013

5 attraction reviews
“Diving Sombero Reef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Visited Halls diving Center while in Marathon. Initially to get some info, and a few supplies. From where the best sunset view is, to conditions on the reef, and accommodation on boat for large family , Halls was helpfull with all. As for the diving - the reef was beautiful the day we went. Capt put us in an area suitable for divers and snorkelers. ( we had both in our party) Crew was helpful and pleasant. Even helped me with a blown o ring just before second dive. Would definitely dive with them again. This is a party boat, but not jammed packed. only 6 divers, and 10 snorkelers on this trip. Plenty of room to store gear out of way. Let us dive at our own pace, not rushed at all. reasonable price.

Visited June 2013
Penticton, Canada
18 attraction reviews
“Scuba Diving Marathon, FL Keys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Staff is friendly and professional, while being fun and relaxed. I appreciated their communicating with me during my 3-week stay on the island letting me know when they had boats going out, how many on-board, site destination, etc.

I will say that I enjoyed being a 'self-sufficient' diver. By this, I mean that Hall's, like most dive operators in the Keys it would seem, don't regularly splash a dive master or guide with the group. They drive the boat, provide tanks and weights, (rental equipment available for those who need,) give a short briefing on the dive site and tell you when to be back under the boat - usually 1 hour. As a AOW diver, with a compass on my computer, I enjoyed the opportunity to improve my underwater navigation skills - while being able to go off (with only my buddy) and do my own dive - my pace, my choice when to pause and when to go, etc.

Most reef dives are 25' or less. The do make trips to the Thunderbolt, also un-guided, for those who want to dive deeper and see a sunken ship. Last year visibility was 60'-80' this year was more like 20'-30'.

Their boat has a marine head.

Enjoyable diving while on Marathon.

Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
“Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had a great time with the instructors and the other divers on the boat. I got my Advanced Open Water certification with Hall's. The entire crew in the shop and boat for the whole week was professional and made me feel comfortable throughout my stay. I highly recommend this dive shop.

Visited March 2013
Hershey, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
“Fun snokeling trip, friendly help, priced right.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Took a half-day reef snorkel trip. Traveled with my adult sister and mid-50's parents. My parents had scuba dived as young adults under looser health restrictions (mom has asthma, as do I), and the 4 of us had been snorkeling in Mexico about 15 years ago, so it was an unusual activity for us.

Our resort offered its own snorkeling, but we went here on the recommendation from a local diver in a nearby restaurant, and took $5 coupons with us. Welcoming facility, friendly helpful staff, got my dad set up with prescription goggles since he can't wear contacts. Wetsuit rental at 8 bucks a pop was worth it since it wasn't particularly warm out. Gear was all top-quality. The shop is not near the dock and boats though, so you drive a little down the road after you get everything together. Our trip included both divers (6 i think) and snorkelers (the 4 of us plus a young Hungarian couple). So I'd imagine you could do both if members of your group had different interests. The guy running the trip, a very tall guy in his mid to late 20's, took good care of us all. The boat is very basic, but there is water on board, and a cooler with fresh fruit for the taking.
The first dive site was pretty dead. Enough life to be interesting, but it wasn't particularly exciting, and the water was pretty cloudy. Saw a few pieces of debris left from an old wreck, which was kind of cool.
The water was very choppy, and 3 of the six snorkelers (who rode out on the bow, maybe that was part of the problem) got sick between dives, but toughed it out and made it back in the water for round two. The second site, out by an old lighthouse, was pretty neat, and teeming with life. Fish everywhere, cool plant life, even saw an octopus. The water, as mentioned, was choppy, and the current was pretty strong, so it was a bit of a workout. When we got back, the guides collected our gear so we didn't have to drive back.
For this kind of activity in this area, tipping is standard practice, so figure on an extra 15-20% in cash to the cost of the dive.

Visited January 2013