“Fantastic Stay, We'll be back (again)!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Pelican RV Resort and Motel to your Saves list
Pelican RV Resort and Motel
59151 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL (Formerly Pelican Motel & Trailer Park)   |
Vero Beach, Florida
“Fantastic Stay, We'll be back (again)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We have been going to Grassy Key for at least the past 5 years, and always stay at the Pelican. It has changed hands recently, and many improvements have been made. It is an older resort, but the rooms have been modernized, are always clean and the beds are comfortable. We had a refrigerator and a microwave in our double room.

The office staff is very friendly and accomodating. They apparently do not have daily maid service, though I believe they probably would provide it if asked to. We dumped our own trash, and swapped wet towels for new ones in the office as we needed them. There were no phones in the rooms, (who uses a land line anymore anyway) but they did havea phone book and an alarm clock.

We always take our boat, and there is ample parking for trailers. Also, unlike many other hotels in the area, they have their own boat ramp, and the boat "harbor" keeps your boat protected. There is a concrete wall between your docked boat and the gulf. We happen to like staying on the Gulf side, but access to the Atlantic is only a 2-3 minute boat ride.

The Pelican has a tiki hut with picnic tables out on the gulf, that you can fish from, or just relax and enjoy the absolutely gorgeous Gulf sunsets. They also have a decent size pool, that feels so good after spending a hot day out on the water.

We will definitely book with them on our next visit!

Room Tip: All rooms are up front (on the road), so there is not a gulf view, but they were surprizingly quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
PelicanRV, Manager at Pelican RV Resort and Motel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We are pleased that you had such a great time at the Pelican RV Resort and Motel.

We hope to see you again in the near future and would like to offer you a discount off your next stay for writing this review about us. Please contact us at 305-289-0011.

Regional Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a very nice place to stay in the Keys. The desk personnel (Judy) was very accomodating. I made an error when I made our reservations for the 2 day lobster season, and Judy made every effort to get me the rooms I needed for the dates I needed. I was very impressed. The rooms were clean, but the manager was having problems with the cleaning person not showing up for work. The manager made every effort to make sure we had clean towels or anything else we needed. We had a dock slip that was not bad to maneurver in. The motel has regular sized rooms with queen sized beds. All of the rooms have been renovated with tile flooring, new furniture and new beds and mattresses. The current owners bought it in Nov. 2010 and have been working to upgrade all of the rooms. The efficiencies are larger and are on schedule to be renovated, whenever there is a block of time to rent them. The pool is nice and very clean, but since it is not real large, the water tends to be warm.
Overall, this is a very nice place to stay and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a larger room with kitchenette, rent an efficiency.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

For our family vacation we decided to go down to Florida and stay at the Pelican Motel, recommended by a friend of mine. We were amazed by the stunning waterfront and perfect weather. Our rooms were wonderful, they had full equipped kitchens and peaceful patios. And so clean! We spent most of our time at the beautiful beaches and on our boat fishing, my husband caught a nice size fish too! We’re definitely coming back next season!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We booked this motel for Thanksgiving because of it's proximity to relatives and the great rates. We stayed in unit 6 at the South end of the motel. We checked in early and we ended up partying late and didn't actually get into our room until 1 am. Fortunately I had to use the bathroom about two hours later. I felt something crawling on my arm as I walked to the bathroom. I turned on the light and was shocked to find a blood sucking bed bug full of my blood on my arm!! I immediately turned the lights on and pulled back the sheets and found a couple more blood suckers. I woke my better half, we checked each other over to make sure we didn't have any hitchhikers and we got the heck out of there. We took our flashlight and found the little creeps all over the side of the bed heading to feast. We also noticed a white powder on the floor around the perimeter of the bed so we suspect the management was aware of them and tried to eliminate them unsuccessfully.
The next morning we checked out and the manager apologized and refunded our money. She said she would have to get rid of the mattresses.
I hate to make this the first review for a small mom and pop motel but if it saves someone getting bitten or worse, infesting their own home, then it is worth it. I know that bed bugs our a national epidemic right now and four star hotels have not been immune to these pests. I'm sure they will take care of the issue. My better half's sister said many of their relatives had stayed here without incident and enjoyed the place but just be careful.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
smartin121, Owner at Pelican RV Resort and Motel, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
I want to offer my sincerest apologies about the situation you encountered at The Pelican Motel. We recently purchased the property and have begun a complete remodel of the rooms and office. All the bedding, beds and carpet are in the process of being replaced. In addition to painting and cleaning, all furniture is being replaced as well as televisions, light fixtures and the ceiling. I hope you will give The Pelican one more chance; we know you will not be disappointed. Best to you in your travels.

Been to Pelican RV Resort and Motel? Share your experiences!