“Worst motel ever!! Do NOT go here!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Sea Cove Motel and Marina to your Saves list
Sea Cove Motel and Marina
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   12685 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #14 of 19 Marathon B&B and Inns
“Worst motel ever!! Do NOT go here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

I stayed at this place with my fiance when down here on business, and there was crumbs in the bed, the floor was absolutely disgusting. The trash didn't have a bag in it and had old food and garbage at the bottom. The TV didn't work, well it did but there was a horrible ringing noise. The toilet wouldn't flush and the shower looked like you needed to wear your sandals when taking a shower. It was horrible. I went to complain the next day and the guy was on the phone and didn't say a word to me, just ignored me while I was standing in front of him, it was ridiculous. Most outlets didn't work either, bathroom door didn't lock and where the floor should've been white, it was brown. Absolutely disgusting, 0/10 do not recommend to anyone. $180 down the drain that didn't even work.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

Not the fanciest place but very cozy and comfortable which add to its charm, close to everything, accomadating staff (Thanks Jamie and Mark!) Will definitely be staying there next year when we go to the Keys!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2015 via mobile

The staff and rooms were great! Great rooms at great prices. From the bungalows to the boat houses, all were nice and a great location. They are on the water and close to everything. Quiet and relaxing! Definitely staying again for next year's vacation!

• Stayed March 2015
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2015

OMG where do I start???!!! We reserved and paid for a Houseboat with a queen bed. When we checked in at the make-shift office, we were placed in the "Boathouse", which was basically a shack on a dock. It wasn't what I saw on the internet and I didn't see the actual houseboats I thought we reserved. The room reeked of chlorine so badly it burned my eyes, so we opened a window a crack to try and air it out while we went to dinner with friends. There were two beds; a single and a double, but no queen as I had reserved. The room was decorated with lots of old furniture, the floor was dirty, and the overhead light did not work.

After dinner, our friends came back with us to check out our embarrassingly awful room. They noticed the actual "Houseboats" that located way down along a narrow dock. We walked down there and found that there were several vacant Houseboats. At this point I became quite upset because the whole deal seemed like a "bait and switch". I immediately stormed down the dock to the office to speak to the manager. I was quite upset and told him to give me a minute to calm down. I then took a deep breath and told that the room we were assigned was NOT what I reserved and paid for on line and requested to be moved out of the "Boathouse " room. He told me that Travelocity sent "wrong information" and showed me an order that said "Boathouse", he did offer to move us to a "House boat" *****if you dare reserve a room here, mind this distinction!! Then when my fiance showed up he scolded me in front of him for "getting all up in his face!!" Say what???!! Of course I was upset but I never siad anything out of line or cussed or yelled. Guess he can't handle assertive women??

When we went back to "boathouse" to get our luggage a HUGE RAT ran out in front of it!!! I wish I were making this up, really. The House boat we were moved to was kinda cute on the outside but the step up is quite high and difficult for a short person like me with bad knees. The bed situation did not allow us to sleep in the same bed. There was a full size bunk about 4 ft up off the floor with only one small step, and a VERY low celiing above it. I couldn't sleep in there cuz the height was too much for my knees (severe ostearthritis). So my fiance slept up there and I ended up sleeping in the single bed below. Real romantic right?? NOT!!! The carpeted floor had not been cleaned or vacuumed in YEARS!!! The decor is really super OLD 60's & 70's garage sale crap. NOT even cute at all!! All the blinds in this place are sagging, torn, or broken and there are NO curtains for privacy. There was such a big gap in one of our blinds I ended up covering it up with a big folded-up wad of toilet paper. No cups in the bathroom, no ice at all!!

This place lookd cute on the internet and is kind of a cool idea, but in reality, it ought to be shut down by the Florida Health Dept!!! It could be really cute and nice if the owners actually invested some money and effort. I would NEVER stay here again and would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. BTW, I think the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" lives in the lagoon by the dock...we kept seeing something big jumping at the surface in the dark of night...okay yeah, I know this is Florida, LOL. But seriuosly, DO NOT stay here until this place has a thorough makeover and new owners since the current owners don't give a flying flip!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Hedehusene, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015

We stayed on a "houseboat" one night , and in a chalet one night. The boat smelled of chlorine , it was dirty , old tv old everything is old, worst bed ever.Next night the Chalet , big place for 4 , Again dirty , unbelievably dirty , trying to get my Money back from booking.com.
PLEASE DO NOT STAY THERE ! It is just not worth it , i got bitten by small flies , nobody told me to get some spray , but i should have known better staying in a damp swampy area !
Internet poor reception.
As said the place should be closed Down or torn Down , but renovation is needed.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
West Bend, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2015

We checked in to the Sea Cove as it was in our price range. I hindsight we would have paid the extra $100 and stayed at the Holiday Inn.
There was only one room left close to the road. It was noisy and there was a neon light flashing just outside our window. We knew all that up front so I couldn't really complain about that but it was a definite negative. The beds had no mattress pads and one bed was broken. The biggest complaint we had was that when we got up to shower in the morning there was no water to the shower. We called and got a voice mail, left a message stating the problem but no one ever returned the call. When I returned home 2 weeks later, I called and asked what they could do about discounting the room and they haven't returned 2 calls. Awful and upsetting experience. They give the Keys a bad name!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

The Sea Cove Resort advertises that the "Floating Rooms offers unique “Keys-style” real floating accomodation for guests who prefer lodging on water. What the motel does not disclose anywhere is that an 18-inch step up is required to actually get into the houseboat. For those of us with short legs, this presents a big problem. I actually had to get on my knees to access the houseboat. That was when I told my husband, "This won't do at all!"

My decision not to stay there was solidified when I surveyed the interior of the small houseboat. The twin beds on the lower part of the boat were three steep steps down from the entry and restroom area, and there were no handrails whatsoever. I did not look forward to negotiating that set of steps several times during the night.

Do not reserve a Sea Cove unless you are sufficiently agile and long-legged.

Fortunately, the Sea Cove manager was willing to release us from the "non-refundable" payment of $152, and after a long wait on the telephone with Expedia, our prepayment was refunded. Of course, we had already wasted two hours of our time waiting for the Sea Cove office to open, only to find out that the houseboat was usable by us.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea Cove Motel and Marina? Share your experiences!