“A Ripoff!!! Go to Capt. Hooks” 1 of 5 stars

Announcement
Brand new waterfront pool
Ranked #4 of 19 Marathon B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A Ripoff!!! Go to Capt. Hooks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I will never use Capt. Pips again. While my family was visiting Marathon, we decide to rent a boat and enjoy the beautiful waters of the middle keys. After some research we decided to go with Capt. Pips.  I should have known that something was going on when the person at the dock informed us that the fuel gage was broken. Also the English women at the front desk was extremely rude and condescending.

We went out for a whole day but mostly just fished at one spot on the 7 mile bridge. When we returned the gas bill was over $300 dollars! This was how much the boat was to rent! I felt that my family and I were taken full advantage of. We never got further then 1 mile of Capt. Pips. I will never use you guys again and would appreciate it if you take me off your e-mail list.

Unhappy customer

• Stayed February 2011
PorkysBBQ, Manager at Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
This reviewer and his family rented a 24ft Cape Horn with twin 150HP Yamaha engines
on February 27 of this year.

Their recorded float plan was to go out to the reef to snorkel and fish, and they rented snorkel gear from us to do that. The reef is 5 miles out into the ocean. The fuel used was 63.4 gallons at the rate of $4.57/gallon at that time, so the actual fuel cost was $289.74. Although some of the fuel guages are not working, we do make sure that each boat is completely full of fuel before it leaves the dock. When a customer comes in, they pay for the fuel that they used that day. With 5 people onboard the boat and a trip out to the reef to snorkel, plus trolling for fish with two engines the fuel used is not out of the ordinary.

We are sorry that he had a bad experience with us, but we really do not rip anyone off. We cannot control the cost of fuel unfortunately, and it has been very high in the last several months all over the country.

We did send one of our newsletters out to him before we knew that he was upset with the fuel cost. We have since removed him from our email newsletter list, and will not send any more to him (per his request).

There was never any intent to be rude or condesending to him, and I must apologize personally for any actions on my part that gave him cause to feel that way.

The majority of our customers are very happy with their experience with our boats, and with all of us (myself included) here at Captain Pip's. We strive to make everyone's time with us as much fun as possible, with as little hassle as possible. Unfortunately, only a few of the happy customers post a note online, but they do come back to us time and time again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Wilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Had a great experience with Captain Pips. Took a full day charter with Capt Howard and mate Zack. These guys know where to find the fish and how to catch them. Caught our limit of dolphin and since we had time left we went for swordfish - didn't get one, but they didn't have to do it. Also instead of hauling back in we stopped several times and caught some triple tail - above and beyond service.
Our cell phone cameras batteries died, but Barbara in the office got hers, shot some pics and emailed them immediately. Also, we left our rain jackets on board and she mailed them to us..........service beyond.

Thanks to the Capt Pips team - it was great and we will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge,LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My hubby and I just got back from a week long vacation at Captain Pips and we had a wonderful time! We had 3 spectacular fishing charters with Captain Howard and Captain Zach! No touristy feeling here, just hanging out fishing the big blue with knowledgable fisherman who make the experience like hanging out with old friends! Thier enthusiasm for fishing is amazing and exciteable! The room was very nice with a comfy bed and more importantly....quiet! When we werent out fishing or site seeing, we were having peaceful rest! Barbara and Johnny were great and most accomodating! The boat we were given for the week was nice with a fuel 150 Yamaha 4 stroke which was fuel efficient and quite running. Thank you Norm for all your help with everything! However,its probably best used to go out swimming or snorkeling or site seeing and let Captain Howard or Captain Zach take you fishing if your truly interested in catching fish. They work hard to locate so you can have a great time catching. We just cant say enough about our experience and we will be heading back in a few weeks....along with what we hope are yearly trips. See you guys soon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We (my son and I) stayed here while fishing with capt jeff shelar. Capt Jeff was great and the stay was very good. Not fancy, but nice and clean. We had clean beds, a shower, and a fridge and freezer, what more could you ask for? It was right next to our dock for fishing. The price was in line with everything else in the area. We did the guide thing, so did not use a boat and saved $75/night. Friendly staff. Not fancy, but nice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Oviedo, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We rented a boat for the day and were very disappointed with the service. We were told to arrive early as there was a lot of paperwork to complete so we stopped by a day early and the manager looked at us like we had 3 heads until we explained that we were there early because of her recommendation. She proceeded to tell us exactly everything we could not do in painstaking detail. Additionally she made up rules that do not exist (when PDFs were required, non-existent restricted areas and bogus fines). As a licensed Master Captain and 23 year law enforcement officer I questioned her on the information that she was providing and she was very condescending telling me those were the rules. I didn’t tell her my background and later double checked and found that she was not correct.

When we arrived the next day to take the boat out my 8 year old daughter noticed the two dogs in the office. When she commented on the dogs the manager immediately told her not to look at them! The dockhands were nice and mumbled to us to ignore the manager. My step-dad asked her a question about a fishing area and she asked him where was the chart she provided us with – I had the chart but was out unloading the car. He said he didn’t have it and she immediately started chastising him then he explained that I had it outside and she ignored him and made him sit and review the chart with her again along with areas that he should not be going (which was not the original question he had).

The boat was functional but the binnacle was so loose that you had to hold the throttle in place at all times during the day. Also when we were finished with our day trip we had to clean our own boat! Not just take the trash out as we normally would but actually wash it for them!!

We had rented at another location before and had the complete opposite experience with the staff. We would not recommend anyone rent from Captain Pips. There are many other businesses to spend your hard earned money which will appreciate your patronage and treat you with common courtesy and respect.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
PorkysBBQ, Manager at Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
As the manager of Captain Pip's Marina & HIdeaway, I would like to apologize for any behavior on my part that you found to be rude, condescending or unfriendly. It was never my intention to act that way. I always try to make sure that all our customers are very well informed of the local water hazards, and have a pleasant day on the water.

Obviously, for you to feel this way, I did not succeed. It had never been my intention to make your time with Captain Pip’s anything but pleasant. There is no excuse that I can offer but my heart felt apologies. Everyone has a bad day sometimes, and that obviously was mine.

I sincerely hope that you will accept my apologies, and not judge Captain Pip’s Boat rentals by my actions that day.
Otsego, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Captain Pip's is a wonderful place to stay! We had the opportunity to check out quite a few locations and this is definitely a winner! Barbara, the owner, is just wonderful!! We had already booked a resort for most of our family, but our two older boys stayed at Captain Pip's after we actually forfeited a couple of hundred dollars not to have them stay at the Rainbow Bend. To anyone considering these two, Captain Pip's is so much better all the way around, boats, staff, rooms, etc. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Captain Pips offers a great package of room/apartment with boat. Captain Pips is like stepping back in time to "old Florida", meaning that it is down to earth, nothing fancy, just clean accommodations with excellent access to beautiful water. We have stayed there twice, and look forward to going back every Winter. Boats & motors, whether owned or rented, always have potential problems; but the management at Cap Pips always tries to fix all concerns to one's satisfaction. Yes, you can find more upscale accommodations and, newer/fancier boats at other destinations, but for the money, you can not beat what is offered here at Cap Pips.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway? Share your experiences!