“Prepare to be totally disappointed!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bonefish Resort

You added Bonefish Resort to your Saves list
Bonefish Resort
1.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   58070 Overseas Hwy, M.M. 58 Oceanside, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #18 of 19 Marathon B&B and Inns
Placida, Florida
“Prepare to be totally disappointed!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

First the pictures on this site isn't close to what the place is like. So called resort is in disrepair and quiet dangerous in many respects.
Rented the deluxe accomodations, moved to another room which was less dreadful but still pretty horrible. Ants in room, microwave didn't work, poorly equipped kitchen, television lost communication, dvd didn't work, ceilings falling down, sandspurs, 2 loud wall ac's and still hot, smelled moldy, could have been cleaner, Pool was not clean and even had a couple of crabs in it.
When I told management that I wanted to check out, I was told there was not a refund for early checkout.
The only plus was a beautiful view and met some nice folks and all had a good laugh at how deceiving the pictures were on the web sites.

My review, please folks, stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: The tip is, there are not any any good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My boyfriend planned to stay here overnight as a present for my birthday. Unfortunately, neither of us read the reviews before we went down there. If I had seen them I certainly would have had my BF rethink booking the reservation. The room was very hot and there was an undersized window AC unit which we cranked down to 60 and it was not cooling the room at all. The smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling by the wires. The stove and the refrigerator did not appear to be connected and I would not use the silverware provided for all the money in the world. The shower stall had some crappy tile inlay at the bottom that was all moldy. There were no towels in the bathroom. There was a trail of bugs along the wall near the ceiling in the bathroom. There was nothing that would even resemble a resort or warranted the $12.00 resort fee. When I called the front desk from my cell phone, because there was no phone in the room I advised we would be leaving and I wanted a refund to which I received a very flat no. I am sure that was because the person I spoke with hears this all the time. When he went to check in my boyfriend overheard the person at the desk advising the caller "no refunds". So it is quite obvious people are complaining. The person at the desk then advised it sounded like I was looking for an upgrade. Really?! What is the upgrade? A room with towels? Bottom line is this place is advertising falsely and has a no refund policy in place because they know what a crappy establishment they are running. They should be ashamed of themselves. I am not sure how anyone can do business like this and look at themselves in the mirror. I plan to write a review on every web site this place is listed on and I have contacted the Marathon Chamber of Commerce and will contact the Better Business Bureau as well. The conditions in this place are deplorable. I think prisoners have better conditions.

Room Tip: I strongly advise you do not stay here! They call themselves a resort and do not even closely resemb...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Oceanfront fabulous view. Small pool and beach BUT filthy. Mold, grime, sticky floors, at least 1/4 inch dust on everything. Paid in full and in advance and could not get refund immediately after seeing room. Bought bleach and Lysol and cleaned myself before staying in room. At the real laugh is a $12 per day "resort fee". Stay away.

• Stayed May 2013
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We found this hotel via Hotelclub.com as we didn't know at that time that there are other means to find accommodation. First we drove pas the place and when we entered the 'Resort' nobody was there. Reception closed but a handwritten note redirected us to the hotel next door where, surprisingly, we got a key. The room door hardly opened and the floor was more of an inclined plane. There was a sleeping room with just the bed, a sitting room with a hole in the wall. and a kitchenette. As the electrical installation didn't look very safe we didn't dare to use it.

So stay off!! Maybe the building has collapsed in the meantime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I flipped out after reading all of the negative reviews on the Bonefish Resort after I paid the down payment. There were no options this week for Hotels in Marathon. I am a world traveler having logged over 2 million miles. I stay in nice 5 Star hotels but sometimes when in a bind must take what I can find so I know both sides. We rented 2 rooms at very low prices for the Keys so did not expect much but worried about cleanliness. Both rooms were very clean small but comfortable. AC worked excellent. How can one expect something more for rooms in the Keys for under $200? The Holiday Inn was booked but were advertising alternatives dates for $265. Come on....There were other couples and a family at Bonefish there this week and they seemed to be quite happy.

Room Tip: One of our rooms was close to US1 and you could hear if a truck passed. Get rooms closer to gulf if...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Tiny room. Previous tenants thong hanging in the room. No coffee maker as advertised. Staff was pleasant and resolved the issues promptly. That being said, it is what it is, Possibly the least expensive hotel in Marathon. Had availability when others did not. Was significantly less than the $350 for the larger hotels in the area.

• Stayed March 2013
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thanks for the review, and for the kind words about our staff. We are aware of the problems at our motel, and working very hard to bring the quality up to the level that our guests expect and deserve. We have recently brought it all-new management, a new housekeeping staff, and have renovated several rooms, as well as several aspects of the property in general. We are always working to improve!
Corvallis, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you like bugs, bad air conditioning, cave like dwellings and no hot water or water pressure then Bonefish is for you. The place needs to be bulldozed. The WiFi worked which was a huge bonus and the area by the water is nice.

The highway is very close to your door and it sounds like the trucks are going to drive through your room. The floors are sticky/gritty tile. We couldn't find the office until finding a piece of paper that said the office was several lots north on the highway. The shower is really horrendous. It is a little tiled area with an old shower curtain and absolutely no water pressure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all thank you for your feedback, and I’m sorry if you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. The Bonefish Resort is a small motel, and that is exactly what we advertise it as. This is premium oceanfront property in the Florida Keys, and while we realize that our units aren’t compatible with a 5-star hotel, we feel the price is fair. If your needs are for something more than what we offer at the Bonefish Resort then our hotel group has larger and newer units available at neighboring properties, all priced accordingly. Our units are clean and comfortable, and we work hard to maintain them and keep them in good condition, which isn’t always easy with seasonal hurricanes and tropical storms. Please understand the attitude and atmosphere of the Keys- the high-rise condos and 5-star resorts of Miami and Daytona simply aren’t available here, and quite frankly it isn’t fair to expect that.

Been to Bonefish Resort? Share your experiences!