“DO NOT STAY HERE!! We won't be back ... EVER!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Yellowtail Inn

Save Saved
You added Yellowtail Inn to your Saves list
Yellowtail Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   58162 Overseas Highway, MM58 Oceanside, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #18 of 20 Marathon B&B and Inns
“DO NOT STAY HERE!! We won't be back ... EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Spur if the moment trip over memorial weekend traveling with a pet left options of where to stay very limited. Next time will sleep in our car or stay home if this is the only place left. The entire place needs an overhaul NOT just routine maintenance. It sits on a beautiful piece if property the buildings have been neglected for decades.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom ocean view (top floor of the "office"). Going to the room thru a ramp, looking over the railing a view of "junk" can be seen (possibly a "work" area). A door next to the entrance of our room/suite was basically rotting away (Home Depot sells cheap doors). The room SEEMED clean UNTIL we went to bed once you turned downed the bed, bugs were found IN BOTH ROOMS/BEDS!!! Luckily I had sheets in my car (purchased earlier in the week that hasn't made it "home")!!! The towels in the bathrooms had holes, I wiwished I had bought towels too!

The next day (LUCKILY CHECKING OUT). I went to ask for additional "towels" I informed the woman at the desk of the bugs, she was going to have maintenance look and spray. I said that'll be good for the next guests. I asked her if something would be taken off or bill for the bugs she said probably not as she went on she only works on the weekends.

I sent an email explaining the situation show my sheets etc and requested a credit of some sort. I have yet to hear back from Michael who so readily and easily took my credit card and charged the stay.

In the process of contacting my credit card company to see if we have any recourse (unsanitary conditions).

Don't buy that this place has "The Keys" charm. You can find it elsewhere! We have stayed in other cottages that were FREE OF BUGS as well as other amenities to justify a "resort" charge (this place is NO RESORT).

P.s. "They" own a property next door too (Casa del sol - i think) STAY AWAY TOO unless you enjoy smelly junk along with a debris and a garbage container in the "driveway."

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
mtn. view
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I too, had a bad experience with the yellow tail inn, in Marathon Florida. My boyfriend and i were traveling, and contacted Hotels.com to book a room at Marathon. It was about 6:00pm, and not knowing we were only 20 minutes away, I booked a room at the Yellow Tail Inn. When we arrived, I went into the office to check in, and my boyfriend came in, and said you better look at the room, because it doesn't look so good from the outside. The grounds were nasty, and the sand was full of trash. The tide had left trash and debris, which had not been cleaned up for days, and it smelled like sewage. The trim around the front door was missing, and the walls were buckled from previous water damage. The room looked like a converted storage building. The bathroom and bedroom was built on a platform making the ceiling low and uncomfortable. We went back to the office, and told them that we would not be staying because the room was not acceptable. They informed me that my 177.00 would not be refunded. Really? The reservation had been made for 20 minutes! Not like they held the room and missed a sale. Hotels.com had told me that I had until 11pm to cancel the room. After a two hour phone conversation with hotels.com, they informed me that I should have cancelled the room three weeks prior to my stay! I got one idiot after another, and no relief at all. I contacted visa, and the called hotels dot com, and we were on the phone for another hour. After the visa rep got the same run around, she opened a dispute for the charges. But the worse part is that the Yellow Tail inn has no customer satisfaction policy. I would sleep in my car before i gave them my business.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I checked in Friday, May 24 after 10pm. The hotel appeared quaint, a sunny yellow color. We had an upgraded room facing the beach which had a kitchenette so we were hoping to have a great place for the next 4 nights. We had just booked one however. The wall paper was peach, sofa decor faded. Looking around, the peach wall paper was sagging and wrinkled, ground in dirt was on the table, dead gnats were mashed into the walls, the list is more extensive than I wish to go into. It was late. We thought we could handle a night and then would get out. It worsened. A little bug was crawling under my pillow in the bed, the built in headboard which was like a built in shelf had dust, dirt, grime, more dead gnats and finally, the largest palmetto bug I had ever seen surprised my boyfriend on the shower curtain. Fortunately, it did not fly...if you are familiar with them, you know they love to fly right at you! We sucked it up as it was late, we were tired, I made us sleep with the lights on hoping to scare away any more bugs. The next morning, looking around the kitchen to make coffee before making a quick departure from the dirty room, we found the shelves to have dirt and grime in the kitchen. . We stupidly thought the overnight rate wihich was well over $150 would be waived or greatly lowered and that the owner would be embarrassed that such a room had been rented. We were wrong. We did get about 45 back, I think, after being misled by the same manager on the phone that another manager was to be sought. It turned out it was the same manager trying to avoid the situation. Hotels.com helped. Fortunately we found refuge at the Holiday Inn Express Marathon for a lower rate and wonderfully clean, bug free environment.

Room Tip: End room closest to beach was horrible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had lodging that did not work out which resulted in us needing a place to stay at the last minute. We ended up staying here and ended up in the room after 10pm.

At first it appeared we had gotten lucky as it was a suite with small kitchen and everything else that goes with it. However, upon further examination it was dirty with places that had no been wiped down from food items, dead bugs, a couple of live bugs, paint touched up walls that should have been repainted, and generally a place which was not exactly what we would want in a place to stay.

We got the runaround from management on a refund for $12 and hotels.com pitched in another $31. This made the place way more expensive than the Holiday Inn not too far away.

Palm Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Pros: Guest service personnel were very nice and helpful. The guy at the front desk deserves a better gig! :) View from room was nice.

Cons: WAY overpriced for what you get (almost $200 a night). We stayed in the so called 2-bedroom suite / with ocean view. It was not 2 bedroom (a queen size bed with a futon), but one large room. The room looked like an old trailer.

A/C BARELY worked (it made a lot of noise) and was an outdated window unit (which in Florida is a huge negative), room was outdated by at least 30 years and cramped. Looks like they haven't upgraded since 1980. Bathroom toilet constantly ran and was so low to the ground it felt like you weren't sitting on the floor, toilet paper holder broke, and the bathroom door didn't close all the way. Wifi didn't work. The refrid. door had to be slammed shut to close and overall the kitchen was dirty.

The bathroom located by guest services had all the telephone wiring out in the open (someone could have gone in and cut all the wired with no problem) and no toilet paper.

Room Tip: No advice, just go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Rock Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a 3 bd 2 br looking out at the water, great view clean place.Nice staff they let us stay a few hours longer on our last day. Furniture needs updated but over all really clean and comfortable. The price was right.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Valrico, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were comfortable, the central a/c was great in the keys, pet friendly (minimal to no fee), the white beach & iguanas were cute. I loved my view from the balcony and the peace & quite was exactly what I was looking for. Dont leave food or drinks on the counters or the sugar/pharoh ants will invade. Also, dont ask the desk for recommendations on dinner restaurants; sent us to a horrible bar & grill.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Yellowtail Inn? Share your experiences!