“Slice of Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of White Sands Inn

You added White Sands Inn to your Saves list
White Sands Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   57622 Overseas Highway, Mile Marker 57.5 Oceanside, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Marathon B&B and Inns
“Slice of Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I were married here in April 2012. We loved it so much that within 2 months time, we had given away most of our worldly possessions and packed the rest in a 17 ft Uhaul and moved to the Keys permanently to begin our life together as husband and wife in Paradise. We often come back to the White Sands Inn for weekend getaways even though we live only minutes away. We consider it our personal slice of paradise. After reading some of the reviews, I was compelled to write my own so that everyone will know what The White Sands Inn is really about. Many people have been put off because of the seagrass here, but the Keys are not about pristine beaches. The Florida Keys are designated by the Federal Government as a marine sanctuary. We cherish and protect our abundant wildlife. This limits the ability to disturb the natural habitat that exists for these animals. To see the beauty, you have to look past the seagrass and the muck and appreciate all the life that exists here. Our Ocean and its shores are home to many remarkable species. White Sands Inn is a quaint little Inn. The rooms are clean and you will find hospitality at its finest. For all of you nature lovers, I recommend White Sands Inn! As far as the negative remarks regarding the biting insects, well welcome to the tropics and make sure you pack your bug spay!

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Inn over Spring Break this year. We will return for our daughter's wedding in a few weeks. None of us had ever stayed in the Keys before and were expecting a beach. Sandy beaches are not a Keys experience. The Inn is practically in the ocean with a wonderful breeze 24/7. We are water people so the grassy shore was lovely to us and we didn't notice any unpleasant smells. Lots of interesting things to see at low tide. There are hammocks and a nice pool with seating nearby. There are grills for cooking and outstanding views. We didn't really use the maid service. She brought us towels and toiletries and TP every day and left us alone the rest of the time. She was very friendly and efficient. If you are looking for a beach cottage experience, this is a terrific place to spend a week! If you want resort facilities, stay at a resort. My only complaint would be that the linens were well worn. I have a rental in OC, Md, so I know it's hard to keep linens in pristine condition. .. The rest of the stay was wonderful and I prefer to give my $ to a small family-owned business than a large chain. Stay here. You won't be sorry!

• Stayed March 2013
Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights over Labor Day weekend, 2013. We stayed in room #2, the Paradise Room. The room was extremely clean and had a tropical decor. As you lay in bed and look out the door to the room, the only thing you see is white sand and a perfect view of palm trees and the ocean. Stunning!! Our room was about 5 ft. from the sand and closer than 15 ft. to the water. The pool was extremely clean and the water temperature was wonderful. It sits on the sand overlooking the ocean. It doesn't get anymore perfect than that.The staff and other guests were very welcoming. We had a great time. The folks, for example: "snorkler26", have it wrong. The property was nowhere near a swamp!! It was simply situated on the ocean and naturally affected by the tides.We would go back again and again!!!

Room Tip: room #2 and #3, however, I'm sure they're all quite lovely. They all sit on the sand and ju...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunblane, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel which is about 90 mins drive from Key West. Beautiful location with ocean views as promised. Decent basic accommodation. Would recommend a restaurant called The Island about 3 miles South of the White Sands Inn. Only downside at the Inn was loads of seaweed in the sea, and not the greatest smell in the world. Overall though a really beautiful place to stay. We paid about 180 dollars per night plus tax for a family room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The room we stayed in (Key Lime) was clean and adequate, but the outdoors on this property is abominable. It is not clear from the photos or motel website that it is on a polluted swamp with a strong rotting smell and filled with biting insects. You cannot jump in the water here because of the mud and sea grass and disgusting muck and that it is less than a foot deep for a long ways out. We did not expect a beach or sand but did expect to be able to swim in the water and were very disappointed. After the first day being bitten head to toe I was on 24/7 Benadryl to counteract the intense allergic reaction, unlike any mosquito bites I've ever had.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed for a week with White Sands in Room 7. We typically stay at the Hammocks @ Marathon Resort down the road but this year wanted to bring our 2 Siberian Huskies with us so we needed a Pet Friendly place. I loved how Pet Friendly they are :)

The place is really nice & everything was clean. The only issue we came across was the shower head in the bathroom was old & worn out, but we ask about getting it replaced & they did not have any problem with that, we had a new one the next day & my Husband installed it for them. I am sure they would of, but he just said he would because it only takes a minute or two. So that made the room more enjoyable because without that fix, it took about 20 minutes to wash.

Room 7 was a great room, I loved the deck with the Ocean View & it was nice to take the dogs out on, especially being from Kentucky & having 2 Huskies, it helped get them a little use to the heat before we would take them out walking.

The people who give negative reviews of this place, I really do not understand what could possibly be their problems? I found nothing wrong that is worth complaining about. Many people need to understand the Wrack (seaweed) & smells coming from the Atlantic Ocean is out of the Owner's control. That's The KEYS! If you can't handled it, then stay on the Gulf Side, it is still there, just not as bad. I also took into account many of the negative reviews that are recent on Tripadvisor, so I went around to see about the complaints & could not find anything people were talking about? So either it was never a problem or the Owners fixed the issues, which shows you they pay attention to what their Guests say :)

We will for sure be back the next time we visit the Keys with our Pups & will be reserving room 7! Hopefully we will be back next Summer!!

Thank you for a great experience & allowing Pets!

Just a note for Pets, there is plenty of grass on the road side at the entrance to take your pet to, this I know can be a problem in the Key as we left here & went to Key West for the second week of Our Vacation & Key West is not a good place to stay with Pets.

Check out my YOUTUBE Channel in the next few weeks, as I will be posting many KEYS Videos, included this place inside & out. "butterflykey422"

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alsip, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were nice, the staff were nice and chill. Very relaxing. Only small issue I would have is at the end of the dock, there is a small boat and 2 water bikes. The boat had a leak in it and you had to pail out the water and the water bikes were old broken. Disappointed on that but other than that it was a nice place and very relaxing. Pool was small but still nice.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to White Sands Inn? Share your experiences!