“Great Vacation in Marathon, (Middle Keys) Florida.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marathon
Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel
You added Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel to your Saves list
12020 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Marathon B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Great Vacation in Marathon, (Middle Keys) Florida.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

My brother and I, along with our two teenage daughters (age 18 & 19), stayed at the Royal Hawaiian Motel/Botel from June 9th-June 13th, 2010. We transported a 21 foot boat and planned to scuba dive, fish and relax. We were not disappointed.

This property is a classic older Florida beach style motel. It has a new interior and a brightly painted exterior. The rooms were spotless and well maintained. The exterior grounds, boat dock and pool were equally kept very clean and in great shape. The great thing about this facility is that you literally dock your boat 10 feet from your back door! This makes your trip so much easier. The dock fee is included in your room rate.

Nick and Jeanne, the resident managers, were absolutely fantastic. They were friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about everything in the area. During our stay we needed to have a trailer tire repaired and Nick suggested a local business and even offered to help us take the tire! We used that business and they also quickly repaired the tire and charged a fair price. Nick and Jeanne really went the extra mile to make us feel welcome and excellent hosts. Ours rooms were cleaned daily and were always fresh upon our return.

I would highly recommend the Royal Hawaiian to any visitor in the area. Thanks to Nick and Jeanne for making our annual dive/fishing vacation an excellent experience. I will definitely stay at the Royal Hawaiian on my next visit to the Florida Keys.

Gordon H.
Columbus, Ga.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

We were to spend our vacation on the sailboat we rented but the diesel smell was so bad and with a storm coming we couldn't imagine staying locked up in the boat... We were so glad to find the Royal Hawaiian Motel/Botel. Originally we were only going to spend the first night there but after spending the night we decided to just use the boat during the day and stay at the hotel by night. The couple running the place are great very friendly. The place is clean and comfortable. If you have a boat you can dock it there (we didn't) We will definitely be back next time we come to Marathon to go diving.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I spent three days at this Botel. The room was large, clean and quiet. The location is perfect on the Vaca cut making it easy to access both the ocean and the gulf. The staff is wonderful and catered to our every request. All boasts are docked right outside your room making it easy to access at anytime. There are only 8 rooms at this site making it cozy and quiet. Anyone intrested in diving or fishing will find this botel a perfect getaway. The prices are far below other hotels in the area making it an even better value. You are sure to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Without a doubt Fantastic! I read these reviews and have failed to make a contribution good or bad. I know it is horrible but now is a great time to start. This time I feel I must so others can enjoy this gem. As some may know you can mostly weed out the bs reviews based on people’s nonsense complaints and what it really means to stay in places like Marathon,(It is funny how we accept the keys standards!!). Some people just shouldn’t travel to places like the keys if they are the type who find fault even when they stay at Ritz Carlton. I have stayed in 14 hotels throughout the islands. Some of them multiple times and I will definitely choose this one again. Make no mistake this is not the Cheeca Lodge and if you can afford to stay there then you shouldn’t be reading my post. The facts are this is a perfect little place for chillin in the keys. Clean comfortable pool area, CLEAN rooms (can be hard to find with hotels in this price range), and clean well maintained grounds. The rooms maintain A/C well and have a large plasma TV (why you are even watching TV on vacation is beyond me??)Boat dockage out the back door that is very secure. Even the neighbors across the canal were great. One of them not only helped me with some fishing tips and locations but also gave me a bag full of his days Mahi catch for dinner!! Amazingly helpful and courteous husband wife team hotel operators Nicky and Jeanie were on the grounds 24/7. I was literally walking up to the door and was greeted with a guess on who we were based on the arrival date. With no hurry on the paperwork of check in we were taken on a complete tour of the grounds and the room. They also provided us with travel suggestions and recommended places to eat. NONE of which I had to mention their names or the hotel name for those of you figuring they were getting kick backs! The photos on their web site do not do them justice and might even deter some visitors since they look dated. Immediate access to Vaca Cut for you boaters looking to go back bay or out front.

Just to be fair I will name a few down falls which are really just believed necessities we have become spoiled within our active and demanding lifestyles. 1. NO WIFI! Something they can fix immediately with a few people claiming interest. I was barely able to steal from a nearby unsecured network. I needed to use it for school work but ended up not caring and figured on catching up when I got home. It was nice to have for local research on areas of interest, (places to eat, places to travel, weather reports for fishing) 2. They DO NOT accept American Express. I find many other locations on the islands do not as well, (Bars, restaurants, hotels). It kind of makes me wonder if the old commercial is still relevant. Maybe I should leave home without it.

I believe I covered what is important and now I MUST get focused on my backed up school work. Thank you again Nicky and Jeanie for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

We have been traveling to the Keys several times per year for 24 years and we've stayed at a lot of hotels and a few botels over that period. We always passed by this place and even used their boat ramp occassionally when staying nearby with our boat. This April we needed a place for a couple nights and didn't have our boat with us but we decided to give the Royal Hawaiian a try. The owners were very nice, the price was good, the room was very clean. You better pay attention when you step out of the sliding glass doors because three steps forward and you are in the water! That's how close these cozy rooms are to the deepwater canal that runs behind the hotel and where your boat is docked if you bring one.

The only negative I can mention is that the rooms are a little dated. If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton, this isn't it. But if you are looking for a clean room, friendly staff, good service and a place to park your boat within a few feet of your bed, give this place a try.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Palmetto, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Upon arrival the host and hostess (Nickey & Jeanie) of Royal Hawaiian Motel greeted us as if we were long lost family. Lucy, their little dog, did the same greeting. We booked an efficiency room - which was well stocked with everything you would need (except food of course). It not only had a microwave it had a stove, full size refrigerator, coffee pot, dining table with 4 chairs and a large flat screen TV. The room was spotless. The pool is well kept as are the grounds on the property. There is a dock outside the rooms to dock your boat and to fish off. Also a boat ramp. If you fly into Marathon Key it is very convenient. THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST MOTEL WE HAVE STAYED IN WHILE IN THE KEYS and we have been in alot of them. Looking forward to staying there again. You can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

We had the Best time at the Royal Hawaiian! From the time we walked in the managers were SO friendly AND helpful and made us feel right at home! We had a great little room with a kitchen and you walked out the front door to the pool and right out the back door to our boat which was docked right outside our room! THe kids had a great time and enjoyed the pool everyday which they pretty much had to themselves! This hotel is clean and convenient to everything! We spent 1 day in Key West which is only a 1 hr drive and the rest of the time fished and watched beautiful sunsets from the boat! The canal at the hotel has access to the Gulf and the Atlantic ! If I had to find one thing wrong it would just be that the beds could have been more comfortable, but other than that, You couldn't ask for more! we will be back:)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel? Share your experiences!