“Definitely worth staying at Tropical Cottages!” 4 of 5 stars

Tropical Cottages
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   243-61st Street Gulf, Marathon, FL 33050   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Marathon
Ludlow, Massachusetts
“Definitely worth staying at Tropical Cottages!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I stayed at Tropical Cottages with my sister just last weekend and Shiela, the new owner was so helpful when booking the cottages as well as when we got there. We rented cottages 8&9 which are the first cottages behind the bank. Yes, they are behind a bank and at first we were a bit disappointed but the islands are so small that everything is condensed and once we looked around the grounds and the cottages- we were really pleased. The 2 cottages we rented had a common area between them which was private and allowed us to leave the doors open while we walked back and forth. The grounds and coattages were clean and comfortable. Cottages 8&9 had been renovated and were nicely done, we saw a couple of the other cottages and all were clean although some a little more outdated but would definitely stay in any of them. There were no cockroaches or spiders at all, I did have a litle friend visit me in my cottage, a little lizard but he was cute and harmless (our doors were also open as well) One thing to note was that not all things were available in each cottage, what my cottage lacked (paper towels, wine opener) the other one my sister was staying in had. Cottages 8&9 do not have stoves but microwaves, fridge, coffe maker and toasters which we did just fine with. The beds were comfortable and it was quiet event though it wasnt far off the road. The cottages are close to the grocery store and other stores and beaches, they seemed to be in the perfect location. We really enjoyed our stay there and would love to go and stay again.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

This place has new owners as of June 2010. They are currently fixing the place up, including sprucing up the individual units. We saw them working on a new bar area for guests when we were checking out yesterday. I think once they are done, this place will be so nice. It's already charming and you can see the updates they have done so far. New palm trees, a couple of renovated cottages, and well kept social areas.

The complex is off the main road behind a BB&T bank. The road noice from US1 is not an issue.

These cottages are older construction. We stayed in cottage number two. It's one of the cottages that has not yet been remodeled. It was clean, but does need to be updated a bit. Our AC unit did a great job cooling the room, but it was very loud. Other than that, the beds were comfortable, and was nice and private.

We did look at cottage number 5 because it was one we liked the looks of on their website. It was very nice and open, very bright and clean. We plan to stay in this cottage next time we visit the keys.

They do allow pets. We brought our dog. We felt the cottages were a good bargain for your money. If you are on the pickier side, go with one of their renovated cottages. The others are still rustic, but are very still very clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights right after Christmas and could not have been happier with our choice of lodging. We would have stayed longer but they were booked. If you like sterile cookie-cutter type things this may not be your style. If you enjoy great retro ambiance, clean and extremely well-appointed stand alone cottages, and central location in the Keys you will love this property as much as we did. Added bonus: it was the best value of anywhere we stayed in the Keys - our total bill for 2 nights was the same as 1 night at other properties we stayed at.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Broken Arrow, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

This July we went to Key West for my daughter's wedding. The hotel in Key West was totally misrepresented, the weather there was miserable, and the day we left we were caught in a monsoon and were completely soaked. We had already checked out of our hotel and had nowhere to go, and had to get in our rental car and drive to Marathon where we had booked one night at Tropical Cottages.

On the drive to Marathon, I honestly planned to spend the one night and drive straight to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale and come home. I was not a happy camper.

We arrived at Tropical Cottages and went inside where we met Debbie, the manager. We told her we couldn't sit down because we were soaking wet. She told us that she had two other cottages available and wanted to show them to us because the previous tenants in our reserved cottage had mentioned that the showerhead wasn't working at full power. We viewed the two cottages, which were very clean, very cozy, and the grounds were immaculate. I let my daughter pick because I was still wet and not in the best of spirits. She chose to go with the original wooden cabin that we had booked online. We drove up to our cottage, got the luggage out of the car and went inside to change into dry clothes.

I then went out front to our table with umbrella and chairs to try and decide how upset my daughter was going to be when I told her I just wanted to go home the next day. No sooner had I sat down than Debbie was driving down in the golf cart and asked if I would like a complimentary cocktail (she later said I looked like I had needed it! ha,ha). I said that would be nice and she went back to her cottage, made me a wonderful margarita and brought it back to me. She said if we wanted to watch DVD's in one of the vacant cabins later to let her know and she would let us pick through her library of videos. She also asked what we were thinking about doing for dinner - I didn't know any places there, so told her I wasn't sure what to do. I explained that my daughter was a vegetarian and she began listing off restaurants that would serve the excellent seafood I wanted, as well as a vegetarian alternative for my daughter.

At this point I was starting to feel much better about the trip and asked my daughter if she would like to delay our trip to Ft. Lauderdale by one day and stay there another night. She agreed and we told Debbie we would like to stay another night. We visited for a while and I told her I wished I could find a coconut and she said she would have her husband, Harv, get me one out of the trees before we left. That night we took her advice on one of the restaurants and had a wonderful dinner.

The next morning we woke up and it was lightly raining. Apparently we got to Florida in the rainy season. Debbie saw me and walked over to tell me that she felt terrible that my vacation was being ruined by the rain and once again offered to let us come up to the vacant cottage and look at DVDs rather than just watch the TV in our cottage. Now how many times have you had that happen on a vacation?!

When the rain stopped Debbie told me there was a beach right there (which I didn't know), so we went down to it and had a very nice time. When we got back from the beach and shopping there were two coconuts sitting on our table outside our cottage. That night we went to another restaurant Debbie suggested and she told us that after we got back to come to their cottage around 9:00 to watch the raccoons that play on their porch. (We're animal lovers).

After we returned from dinner, I wasn't paying attention to the time and a little after 9:00 there was a knock on the door; it was Harv telling us that the raccoons were there and to come on up. We went over and sat on their porch while they popped us popcorn and offered drinks. I felt like I was visiting an old friend! I can't tell you what a wonderful experience it was.

The cottages are exactly as shown on their web site. They were clean and bug free. They are close to a road, but there was no traffic noise. The palm trees and flowering trees with 2 hammocks is just a completely relaxing, beautiful atmosphere.

If you want wild night life, this isn't it; but if you want to feel like you are part of their family in a comfortable, clean, relaxing and beautiful area ... this is the place for you. I could not recommend them more highly, and I am not an easy person to please.

When it was time to leave the next day for Ft. Lauderdale renewed and rejuvenated, I felt like I was leaving old friends... which I know I was.

When I'm in Florida next time, I will go out of my way to go back to Marathon and stay and visit with my new friends.

Sandy, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

• Liked — It was relaxing and peaceful... and Debbie and Harv made us feel welcome like family!
  • Disliked — That we had to leave after only two days :(
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Hello to All Florida Keys Seekers,

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Tropical Cottages in May 2008. You will see her review below. And the follow up comment from the owner.

Truthfully, we had a really bad stay there. It all started great, with Debbie the owner introducing us to the place before she left for holidays - she's a very nice lady. I had booked the place online with my Amex, and when we arrived we were told they don't take Amex so we could pay cash in the morning. Cool, I thought because Amex is my only credit card.

When leading us to our cottage, Debbie was really trying to get us to check out another cottage with a newer interior. It seemed nice, but it was all white, and a bit tackier than the wooden rustic cottage we had booked, which is where we ended up staying.

But now I know why Debbie was trying to get us into the other cottage. Over the course of the night, we had:
- 3 large roaches
- 2 spiders drop on us in bed from the ceiling
- one 3.5" scropion in the bathroom and near our bed

This really freaked us out!!!! Especially the spiders droppping - one on my face, left me freaked me out all night.

And I swear to you that all this is true - not one ounce of exaggeration is coming from this Canadian. Needless to say, we had an awful night's sleep.
The final straw was the scropion incident. My girlfriend went to the bathroom at 6:30am, saw a roach, went to the kicthen to get something to kill it, came back to the bathroom and found this huge scorpion, a fat black one about 4" long. It scrurried through the walls, from bathroom to bedroom to kitchen, as had the cockroaches. I tried and tried to kill the thing but he got away under the walls.

By 7:00am, we were packed, completely exhuasted from no sleep, and I headed to the front office. No one was present so I waited around for 15 min. A young guy representing the place came out - heard our story - and said, scropions are a fact of life in south Florida. I said whether or not that is true, Tropical Cottages should have some warnings about this, because if we had kids, we would have FREAKED OUT at the estbalishment. Now imagine you have kids, wouldn't you like to be informed of the potential for scropions, not to mention roaches and spiders???

In the end, they offered no solution or compensation. We, in fact, had one more night booked there, but after the horrible night we endured, I absolutely refused to pay the $130/night and refused to stay one more night there with spiders dropping on my head.

As we drove off, we stopped one more time at the office to tell them we were leaving and that we were not going to pay. Once again, we waited but no one came. After 5 minutes, we left.

To put this in context, the only reason I am writing this review is to a) provide support to my girlfriend's original review and b) to respond to Debbie the owner who called me in Canada, asking me "To remove the untruthful review or else". This, I'm afraid, we can not do, as every word and event is true.

If they only cleaned up their act and sealed the walls, I think it would be better...

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

We arrived at the Tropical Cottages smiling, happy and ready for a romantic weekend. Five minutes into our stay we saw a 3 inch cockroach roaming around our room. We weren't happy about it, but thought it to be an isolated event. We were watching TV that night and suddenly I spot a spider, decending slowly from the ceiling haging from its web! Like SPIDERMAN! It was awful! We then spotted two more roaches and my boyfriend saw more spiders decending from the ceiling beams hanging from their web. By this point we're grossed out, but it's late and we have nowhere to go. Right before bed I attempt to use the bathroom but before I get a chance to, I spot another GIGANTIC roach, I'm freaked out and we decide to leave the bathroom light on, because we think (not sure if we're correct) that they don't like the light. At 6:30am I wake up to use the bathroom again and the roach I saw in there before bed time is nowhere to be seen, but as I'm walking out of the bathroom I spot a smaller roach, I turn to get some toilet paper to kill it and when I turn back, the smaller roach is gone but I spot a SCORPION!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it, a 4 inch scorpion is walking around our room! I woke up my boyfriend screaming "there's a scorpion in our room, there's a scorpion in our room!!!" He couldn't believe it either! Neither of us had ever seen a scorpion in person. We tried to catch it, but it hid somewhere in the kitchenette. At this point we begin to pack and decide that we are leaving this dump IMMEDIATELY. I could have VERY EASILY stepped on top of that scorpion on my way into our out of the bathroom! Then my romantic weekend would have ended up at the hospital! And imagine if you had kids!!!
Anyway, we left that morning and found another hotel 10 minutes away that was CLEAN and didn't have a single creepy crawly.
BTW, When we told the person in charge about our "infestation" they said that it was Florida and that it was normal. THAT IS NOT TRUE. I LIVE in South Florida and I have stayed at MANY hotels from Palm Beach to the Keys, on both of Gulf Coast and the East Coast, and I have NEVER EVER EVER come across a scorpion!!! And I've never been to a hotel (in Florida or Hawaii or any place tropical) where spiders swing down from the cieling beams on ther webbing or is infested with roaches.
DO NOT STAY HERE.
It's a dump.
Go to ANY OTHER hotel instead.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
annMarathonFlorida, manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this review, June 25, 2008
Scorpion and Roaches youhave the making of a fiction book! Unfortunately you left out some important parts of the story! Clue one, you left a note signed by you which I still have saying there was a,meaning one scorpion you saw in your cottge,no mention of roaches or spiders. Personally,I would never stay in a roach ,spider and scorpion infested room! A car would be an option if there was no place else to stay.You and your girlfried both stayed all night in the cottage and left in the morning without paying your bill ,amazing!! We work very hard to keep Tropical Cottages marathon Fl. exceptionally clean ,and do not appreciate fictitious stroies especailly from people who stay and don't pay!!!!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

We stayed at the Tropical Cottages for one night in Feb 2008 on the way down to Key West. The hosts were fabulous. They were very welcoming and did everything to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Admittedly, there are no facilities on the property but if you want to experience some Florida Keys magic and have transport to get to restaurants etc, this is a great place to stay. I will go back!

• Liked — The hosts were very accommodating and ensured we had everything we needed know
  • Disliked — No facilities e.g. bar or restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tropical Cottages? Share your experiences!