“Crappy place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Sunset Inn
You added Sunset Inn to your Saves list
82200 Overseas Hwy, P.O. Box 561, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Islamorada B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Crappy place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We got a room on the main road, they wouldn't change it for a quieter one, even if the motel looked half empty. The room was dirty, there were bugs, it was smelly (something like a cheap air freshener trying to cover a lot of dampness and a dirty air conditioning philter.
It was very noisy all night long (there is only one road crossing the Keys) and we had a bad night of sleep.
We didn't have the chance to check out the pool, so no comments on that.
We had breakfast at Mangrove Mikes, said to be one of the best breakfasts in the Keys. I found it just OK, not bad.
The motel is a short walk away from a nice place to go grab a drink or dinner and watch the susnset: the Lorelei Cabana Bar - very nice, family ambience.
It is thrue that it's the cheapest motel that we could find around (around $100) but frankly, I wouldn't send any of my friends (even on a budget) there.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the ones on the main road or you won't sleep at all!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Over the Summer we have replaced the carpet in the rooms for tile. Here in the Keys, the humidiy is always high and it holds moisture in the carpets and make rooms smell musty. Now that we have tile we do not have that issue. We hope you would try us again. We do have some of the best prices in the Keys year round. Mangrove Mike's just implimented a new menu. Yum. Thanks for the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fort Collins
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

If you are here for fishing season or need an economical place to stay, consider this place. There is soap in the bathroom but no extra amenities like shampoo/conditioner. It does not have a hair dryer either. It does have a compact refrigerator which is handy for pop. The room is very spacious and it has both a front and back door which is nice if you are at the pool. The pool is okay but not a lot of shade.

Ice is not available. You can buy a large bag of it across the street at Burger King. So if you have a cooler to store the ice, that is a plus. It is right on the main street but it didn't seem noisy.

It is a very old place so keep that in mind when trying to decide where to stay. I would rate it less than average but better than poor because it served our needs. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. I wouldn't say the carpet was that clean though but then again most of us walk around in our shoes in motel rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for the review. We try and keep our prices low to make it easier to stay in the Keys. Part of how we do that is by not suppling all of the extras. Lots of people do not like hotel shampoos anyway. We have a hairdryer and iron in the office that we loan out. Comes see us again on your next fishing trip. Thanks
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed a week at the Sunset Inn during a fishing trip this April. It was a fair bit older and worn-out than I expected but it was also not expensive at all. As I mentioned, I was on a fishing trip so I did not want fancy/expensive accommodations. This fit my bill just fine. I thought by the ad in the website that my room would have a kitchen but it only had a mini-fridge which I was able to live with. I would stay here again as it was convenient and cheap, but let those criteria be your deciding factors in staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for the review. We do have some of the best prices in the Keys. Only about 1/4 of our rooms have kitchenettes but as you stated, all rooms have a small refrig. Come see us again on your next fishing trip Thanks
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The good: - No bedbugs
- Relatively clean
- The pool area looked clean and well kept

The bad: - The 'kitchenette' we paid extra for consisted of a sink and a fridge that didn't work. No microwave because 'people kept stealing them,' according to the front desk.
- No shampoo or lotion provided, just bars of soap
- Uncomfortable mattress
- Furnishings old and tired

The ugly: - Our TV sizzled. Yes, sizzled.
- The fire alarm had a label saying 'replace by 2002.' We made that discovery when we had to ask the front desk for replacement batteries after the alarm started beeping in the middle of the night. The kicker ... the replacement batteries they gave us were dead. I'm not kidding.

I don't know why this place has so many positive reviews. I guess it's not so bad for a place to crash for one night, but not any more than that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Titusville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I just got back from Islamorada I stayed there for 3 Nigths never stay in this hotel before and after reading some reviews I was not to sure but the price was good so I give it a try and I have to say I will stay there again even is not the Hiltton the rooms didnt smell,beds were clean and every day I had clean towels and beds made for a good nigth of sleep after fishing or scuba diving all day plus the location you can ask for any better is migth be a litttle old fashion hotel but for the price cant bit it and like I said I am already planing to go back down and I will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

we live in West central Florida and escape to Islamorada 3 or 4 times a year... We stay at the sunset on at least a couple of these trips every year...the keys are a fantastic getaway and Islamorada is the gem of the middle keys. Sunset inn is a basic, clean, older hotel situated directly in the middle of everything there is to do on the key. There are a multitude of lodgings at the 81, 82 mm... but the sunset is by far THE MOST AFFORDABLE...at least $100 a night less almost every other hotel within walking distance. The rooms are clean. The maintenance on the older property is fine...the pool although surrounded by the buildings is always clean although be careful the deck chair you choose, because some can be dry rotted. The guy at the desk is helpful with suggestions and very accommodating...( we've had to change rooms on a few occasions, and he helped us without an attitude a rare service occurrence these days)...Mangrove mike's is right next door...the breakfast joint in Islamorada...They have parking in the back for people pulling their boats...I can't say enough good things about this very basic, clean and cheap hotel!!!

Room Tip: drive up rooms are great!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
New Brunswick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We had low expectations for the $85 / night rate, but that's fine. We just wanted, clean, cheap and safe for a few nights.

We got relatively clean, relatively cheap (although the kitchenette rooms no longer have microwaves so save your extra $10)

Safe? Not even close. The smoke detector beeped all night because there was no AC power to it and the bargain basement 9volt backup battery was dead. Removing the unit to change the battery revealed the safety label "Replace Unit By 2002"!

The television in the room SIZZLED for 1/2 an hour each time you turned it on because it was full of water. One visit from a competent Fire Marshall would have this place shut down,

Spend a little more and go somewhere safe. It's not worth dying in the Sunset Inn.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a DIFFERENT motel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Smoke detectors have manufacture dates on the back of them. There are no expiration dates. We have replacement TV's when one decides to not work. We are sorry for your bad experience. We hope you would try us again. We do appriciate your review.

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!