“Customer Service seriously lacking... Beware” 2 of 5 stars

Days Inn & Suites Islamorada
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   82749 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Coral Springs, Florida
“Customer Service seriously lacking... Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I arranged to have a group of 20 close friends and family (several small kids) stay over the weekend (31May-2Jun). My wife cut her foot on a metal strip covering the bottom of the exterior front door. She required an X-ray, tetanus shot, and antibiotics at a Broward ER. Prior to check out I informed the front desk and showed them photos. I was met with indifference by Bill.. He told me to contact Sherri, the manager on Monday. I called Sherri who didn’t work till Tues evening. I spoke with her and re-explained the incident. She said Mark the owner would handle this. I asked for his last name or contact information. She refused to give me his contact information and gave me the wrong last name, Dirkowitz (I made her spell it). I also asked for the name of the Management company that actually owns the hotel. At first she did not know it off hand (The Manager). I had to tell her where I saw it displayed at their front desk. After being put on hold twice she eventually “found it” ESQUIRE MANAGEMENT INC. I checked via the internet and found the owner to be Mark P. DERKOVITZ. It’s been 4 days since the incident without so much as a follow up call. I really wanted to just see how they would handle this situation. I wasn’t specifically looking for financial compensation, simply accountability and a little customer service. This has all but ruined my experience with this hotel which was a shame since our groups overall stay was not horrible (except for a consistently leaky/overflowing toilet in room 302). I realize it’s the Keys and island life is a bit more relaxed). I do expect an owner of a customer service based business to be more receptive to legitimate guest issues. Enjoy the continental breakfast (granola bars, coffee, and dry cereal = resort fee). Check out Trip advisor for other comments. And good luck if you have any issues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Laurel, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you have never driven the Florida Keys, it's a must and should be on your bucket list. So much to do, so much to see, take your time and enjoy one of nature's miracles. We stayed here on our drive south. Every room has a view, the marina and dock are available for boating and jet skiing. This is a pet friendly hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Balcony's are for sitting, relaxing and viewing, we took full advantage of this feature. The Islamorada Fish Company is a MUST for fish lovers (lunch/dinner). The staff here were friendly, courteous and professional. We enjoyed our stay, I'm sure you will too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DI I, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Islamorada, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the ocean views and took advantage of the wonderful sights, activities and restaurants in our area. We hope you'll get a chance to come back and stay with us again soon.
Fort Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Hotel was very aged to say the least. Upon checking in and attempting to enter our room, the door was stuck and had to be forced open. Once inside, there was a large wet spot on the carpet by the balcony sliding glass door, broken tiles in the shower and peeling chaulk over mold in the bathroom, no phone, no microwave, the refrigerator was broken and the A/C Unit only had On/Off as the different temperature knobs did not work. I then sat on one of the beds and it collapsed falling to the floor due to a bent bed rail and broken box spring. When the issues were presented to the front desk staff, we were told that the bed was ok and to just lift the mattress and box spring back up. I did and it fell again. We were told that the rooms were as is and due to the Holiday Weekend and no other rooms were avaiable.

I mentioned my complaints to the maintenance personnel, who were awesome and they replaced the box spring and provided us with their refrigerator and microwave from their unit.

The listed "Oceanview Room" had a great view of the parking lot and inebriated people fighting &urinating in the parking lot, which pooled in the center of the parking lot due to the clogged street drains. This provided a great aroma after the stagnate water baked in the sun.

The maintenance staff and the staff at A1A Watersports (Especially Sam) were very helpful and courteous as they assisted us with the launching and docking of our boat every day, as well as providing us with navagational tips.

I have to give the owner credit for hiring an off duty detail Deputy for security, who surely earned his money, due to the many inebriated and obnoxiuos people fighting and urinating everywhere.

Upon checking out, there were added fees for a rollaway bed and an extra person on the bill. When this discrepancy was found, the clerk tried to say that the charge was for my 13 yr old son because he was a third person in the room, which is intended for a 4 person occupancy and could not explain the rollaway bed charge. After speaking with the Owner (Mark) the additional charges were removed.

I did not expect by any means to stay in a 5 star resort, but I also did not expect to put my family through the experience of being confronted by inebriated people looking for a fight in the parking lot or as my son repeatedly stated on the way home "Thanks for the COPS SHOW live in Islamorada" dad.

Room Tip: The only "Oceanview Rooms" are the Condo units.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DI I, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Islamorada, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We always try to provide extra security and staff during holidays as we can not screen who books our rooms and usually find some guest who don't respect the property or the other guests staying with us. We try to stay on top of these situations as best as possible. We are striving to address all our guest's concerns and appreciate your input.
miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Don't waste your money on this roach motel. This place is completely awful. First of all, when Sherri took my reservation she reassured me that we can check in early. When we arrived we were told that our room was being worked on my maintenance to make sure our stay was perfect and had to find somewhere to go spend 2.5 hours until check in. We stayed at one of the bigger rooms which is outdated and expected. No problem. The issue was that the fridge didn't work so our fruit went bad and our drinks were warm. The grills they advertised were rusted over and almost completely unusable (we had to foil the grill and add charcoal for the slow process). The first night, in the middle of the night, the a/c in the living room stopped working which woke me up. It started to work just as quickly as it shut off (like someone flipped a light switch on and off rapidly- but it was the a/c). I tried to brush it off and go back to sleep and when I woke up in the morning the a/c was working fine. The air cooled great during the day so I brushed it off like it was just my imagination. The second night, same thing happened so I knew it wasn't me, but this was happening in the middle of the night with everyone asleep. Last thing I wanted to do was wake up my family sleeping in the room. When we woke up on day two the air was working perfectly again. I let it go because I didn't want to complain and ruin a great time for anyone and I was hoping that the maintenance would have addressed this and it was just random but going to work properly. The third night, the air stopped working again but this time a little earlier. This was more upsetting because my spouse started telling me that he was starting to sweat from the heat, which was particularly stressful because he was supposed to leave at 6am and drive straight to work. At this point I decided to go down to the office. I spoke to Lewis who tried to move our room but with our mothers sleeping (one of whom is battling cancer) we didn't want to wake anyone up or scare them if we weren't in the room when they woke up. I apologized to Lewis for being upset and told him that I knew hat it was not him but expressed my dissatisfaction with the maintenance or lack there of. At this point some night time "auditor" named Michael came out and while I know he overheard the conversation, he insisted that I repeat everything again. I tried to articulate to him that the air conditioning unit was so old but all he did was argue with me and suggest that it was my fault for not saying anything sooner. Well when someone tells you they ran maintenance on your room, you expect it to be working- or give it a chance at least. The following morning upon check out I explained my dissatisfaction to Lori who said that she would leave a note for Sherri (the other manager and the one who took my reservation) to contact me and offered to try to get me a partial refund for the last night. Sherri never contacted me so I called her the day after we left. She was polite as before and offered to take down my information speak to the owners, see if she can get me a refund for part of the last night at least (the biggest inconvenience) and get back to me by the next day and offered to put me on their VIP list for a 10% discount on the next visit. This was laughable, why would I come stay here again??? I made sure to let her know that I was hoping to reach an amicable agreement for both of us to be happy before I involved my credit card company. Needless to say I didn't receive a call from Sherri on Wednesday as promised. I gave her a few days and called back on Friday. Sherri didn't seem to know who I was, which made me wonder if she even bothered to get my information or run it by the "owners". The solution again was just a potential future discount, which I a sure would have been a blackout period when I did decide to use it (not that I would). I explained to her yet again that I was hoping to resolve this among ourselves rather than filing a dispute but she refused to offer anything other than a potentially second awful experience. I should note that there is no beach and the pool/pool area is small. They also claim that pool towels are by the pool and there isn't a single towel in the area unless its your own personal from home (you cannot use the bath towels..) Definitely buyer beware!!!! I was not expecting to be in some glamorous hotel, but certainly a place with a working air conditioning should be a standard. This place is not fumigated so if you are afraid of bugs, bring your raid with you because you will need it!

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE!!!
This hotel is absolutely horrible! I gave one star only because NO star option is not available. We had our reservations for Memorial Day Weekend (5/24/13-5/27/13) wayyyyyy in advance, we booked early knowing that hotels raise the price last minute (especially for this weekend). We even drove down to the Keys to check out the hotel in advance. Two days before our trip our credit card was processed WITHOUT authorization. We received a phone call saying that because of an error on their part they had to raise our "already confirmed rate"! Very sneaky! Once we did not agree and argued that our price was locked in, they went ahead and cancelled ALL 6 rooms we had reserved! The owner stated "If you stay here, you will pay what I want you to pay" owners name is Mark. We felt extremely offended and dissapointed that our trip had now been ruined by some cocky hotel owner. It's a DAYS INN for crying out loud! Regardless I am from Miami and I've been born and raised around the Florida Keys. There are PLENTY of nice hotels in this area that will not act with such low class. If you do decide to book here (CRAZY) I recommend you receive everything in writing and be very careful with your credit card. Now they don't want to send us a cancellation email, they said Mark had to approve it first!! That is hotel standard and POLICY!!! I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TO THIS HOTEL NOR WILL I FORGET THE WAY THINGS WERE HANDLED BY MR. MARK......

Room Tip: In order to choose a good room with a pleasant stay...DO NOT BOOK HERE!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DI I, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Islamorada, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Sorry, we would had loved to have had you as a guest however our policy is that I can not hold a room for a guest with a credit card that is declined.
Saint Charles, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

could have been a little cleaner, Only stayed for about 10 hours passing through, it was ok just not the best. It is ok if you are just stopping to sleep. Beds and decor could use some updating, due to the recession I'm not surprised the funds aren't there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate all input and hope you will stop again.

Been to Days Inn & Suites Islamorada? Share your experiences!