“Just about perfect - 4 1/2 Stars!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cheeca Lodge & Spa

You added Cheeca Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   81801 Overseas Highway, Mile Marker 82, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Pittsburgh, PA
“Just about perfect - 4 1/2 Stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Prior to our trip I was concerned with the negative reviews. It wasn't just this site but I found that the Cheeca wasn't looking good on other sites as well. We only have time for small trips and make it worthwhile by staying at only high end luxury resorts. I can say that Cheeca lived up to most with just a few minor issues. I believe that the service issues have been addressed and hopefully will continue on in that vein.

The resort was beautiful, the grounds gorgeous and immaculate. Valet and bell staff were wonderful upon arrival. Check in was quick and easy. Our room in the main lodge was large and fantastic with the bathtub on the balcony. I would say though that I can't figure out why this room wasn't set up as a suite. There is plenty of room to do this and it would make traveling with a teenage daughter so much nicer on all of us. I know that we could have booked a suite but from what I understand they just don't have the wow factor that this room has. I wouldn't know though because I didn't see a suite.

Housekeeping would probably be my biggest issue, keeping me from giving this place a full 5 stars. While we were very happy to get turndown in the evening as well as the daily service, they just did the very basics each time. Just made the bed and changed out the towels and toiletries. Really nothing else. I had to request that they make up the couch on the first day after they left it as a bed. I am sorry but for what we paid for the room I would like to be able to sit on the couch and watch the TV in the afternoon. Unfortunately they didn't honor our request the last two days and we had to make it up ourselves.

The food at the restaurant was great as well as was the service. We really enjoyed the wait staff at the pool and never had a problem getting a drink, thankfully because the temperatures were soaring the entire time that we were there.

There were tons of activities but I have to say we didn't indulge in many. It was just so hot and the pool was our daily destination. The family pool and hot tub were fabulous with cushioned covers on all of the recliners. Unlimited towels were always available. The beach isn't a good swimmers beach if you are into that. It is rocky and I never saw anyone go in the water, but there is very nice seating on the sand that I never saw anyone use, again it was just too hot to be out there. The pier is really nice too.

I would certainly recommend this hotel and I would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
Ft Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

What a beautiful property with great views, a fantastic spa, and first class food and drink. Everything you could ask for, plus quality and luxury! Also great to have local shuttle service to all the bars and restaurants.
Really enjoyed the neachside/poolside bar/food service and all the amenities.
As a South Florida resident, best to go in Summer when the rates are a little better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

I booked a 3 night stay at Cheeca Sept 6th -8th 2010 just after labor day weekend. I had planned it a few months out as I was to propose to my girlfriend on Labor day in Ft Lauderdale the day before our check in at Cheeca lodge. I wanted the best, most beautiful and memorable expericance for her first full day being a newly engaged. In my online research Cheeca was what most often looked to be what I wanted. I read some great reviews and some bad ones; but I decided to see for myself. It was literaly HEAVEN on EARTH!!! We arrived at about 5pm on our checkin day. The bellman "Justin" provided the best, most polite and appreciative service I've ever had at checkin anywhere. Giving us a quick tour and unpacking and situating our baggage in our beautiful room. He was so quick to put our bottle of Champange on ice that I had thought for a moment that the hotel had brought in a complimentary bottle of the same vintage that I already had in my luggage... I got the Premiere Island view suite in the main and newly built lodge instead of the ocean view since ocean view was not included in thier book 3 nights pay for 2 special. Saved $600 this way and the beach is only 2 min walk to elevator and out back entry anyway. Also the island view was lush and tropical and a "magum P.I." type helicopter was parked on golf course which was kinda cool. We saw it take off one time.
We hit perfect weather...only rained at night for us. Our first full day on beach and at pool and salt water lagoon we only say 3 other guest and not untill 1p.m. It was like we had our own paradise all to ourselves! I asked a resort employee about it and he said that when school starts that the weeks our slower and Sept. is overall slower but it had been very busy labor day weekend a couple days earlier.
When you walk the grounds it feels like your in Jurasic Park with all the water and tiki torches and little 2 inch lizards surrying around. My fiance who is scared of all bugs even thougt they were cute.
The grounds are meticulously kept and all service staff I interacted with was very helpfull and polite. Our only complaint was a bridal party of ladies checked in below us our 2nd night and after a night of partying they were screaming and laughing on patio below ours at 2a.m. Rightfully so but we had a 8a.m. fishing charter booked so we called front desk and they had them quieted down in under 10 min. Normally we'd join them...after all I'm a territory manager for Capt Morgan, Jose Cuervo and Kettle 1 vodka but I had a 200lb shark to spend an hour reeling in the next day and needed some rest.
We ate breakfast here once...very good...best fresh squeezed O.J. ever and dinner one night at the Nakia Sushi place...also very good. My fiance had the Exotic Veg sushi roll which was the "best veg sushi she has ever had" and I loved it too. Highly recomend that one!
Only complaint i over heard our whole stay was a guy complaining about the music at our sushi dinner. It was out of place 70's stuff for sure, but it led me to believe most (not all) the bad reviews I saw before were Snobby People being what they are.....Snobby; and if he spent $3500 a night for the Pent House Suite..God bless em and I think he should hear the type of music he wants..LOL. I did hear at the Tiki bar that a guest had requested a XM 70's station at the Tiki bar.....maybe the Naki place could get a seperate sound system controll to keep a "mood" set...?
Overall LOVED this place and can't wait to go back.....hope this helps anyone looking at Checca.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boerne, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Beautiful hotel, considered a four star but we experienced average service. Only stay if you are able to get a reduced rate. Rooms in main hotel are by far the best.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Just came home after staying labor day weekend fri.-mon. with my 2 kids, ages 6 and 13. here is my breakdown:

Arrival and general service: out of this world amazing service! from arrival (which was late after 10pm) to when we left. arrived and they took the car and brought bags to room, offered drinks. sat us down at the desk. my kids and i liked the sit down check in compared to the "old" cheeca. check in was super fast!

we requested nachos with cheese to be in the room for our arrival. my daughter had a craving. the guy (jason?) from the restaurant made a nachos with cheese even though its NOT on the menu!!! brought it to the room and gave it to my daughter for free. she was so happy it made her night!! she ate every last nacho although it took 2 days.

slight mishap, if you want to order bfast from the menu it ends at 10am. we found this out when we got to bfast close to 11. BUT they more than made up for it! no charge for my son. thye made pancakes even though not officially part of the buffet. I figured out the next day if you order room service you can order from the menu. we did this the next day, as the ocean front king room is so pretty nice to enjoy bfast from your room. only the french brioche french toast was just regular french toast.

Room: beyond gorgeous!!!! OMG. my son loved the bathtub on the balcony. bed sooo comfy. love the big sofa. of course any good hotel has the mini kitchen with bottled water. we loved the ultra cool DVD vending machine! first time seeing that, and we travel a lot to 1st rate resorts. usually they charge you thru the TV. also, they give you lots of towels. no hbo though, which is odd.

Food: besides bfast (buffet and in room) we had one dinner at the hotel. slight wait, but we had no res. They made up a special kids fresh fish portion for my son. mahi. big plus. not the BEST I have had but it was good. and nice and quiet. it was hot and muggy so we wanted to eat inside and were tired from a day of activities and boating. skipped dessert bc we bought stuff from the market to hang in the room. the super nice waitress said that I could ask the chef to make the bread pudding the next day, and he would probably do it. they took it off the menu and i love bread pudding. also at the bfast, the man working there came over and was so friendly. he told me the whole story about the fire on NY eve 2008-2009. I was there labor day 2008.

Activities: wow you can so not be bored!!! we booked a private boat trip. i did like it, although wish they had a nicer boat to book. I prefer a nicer boat, esp. with cushions, either bowrider, or cabin cruiser or even catamaran etc. little palm island had a really nice boat and i have had nice boats at other places. the boat was a basic center console flats boat for fishing and no cushioned seats in the front just the one bench. anyway, we did enjoy the boating. went to the sandbar and to munchkin patch for snorkeling where we saw a sea turtle! also went to fla. bay to do some touring. got the packed lunch from cheeca...that was great! we only spent maybe 10 mins. at the pool sat. and I wish with all the revamping they made the pool area bigger and more fun, maybe slides or something more elaborate. but we try and spend little time at the pool when at the keys. I do wish I planned my sun. better since it was so flat and got onto the 3pm snorkel boat. sunday we used the free kayaks. spent maybe an hour + kayaking, over to the moorings then out into the ocean. very easy, our first time! fun. then my son and I swam over to the little "island" in the moorings and explored, he found some cool crabs. later found lots of little crabs along the edge of the beach in the water at cheeca, on the rocks. did some pool time, ordered food at the pool. not many chairs but made a friend, when a lady offered us a seat. food service at pool was superb! the waitress was great. got me a tuna sandwich even tough not on menu. again, I like to spend minimal time at the pool. so we went to the lagoon, saw the fish, but its too icky so we went back to the ocean by the kayaks to snorkel. let me tell you a secret: there is a coral reef right there in front of the kayaks!!!! in 2-3 feet of water. super nice, lots of fish. we didn't utilize the free fishing or the bikes, as my 6yo can't ride a bike yet, but would like to use the bikes someday when he is older.

we took a ride south to go see the blue hole and look for key deer. blue hold no big deal, i advise to skip it. I saw 2 key deer. they are all over big pine key. no family resorts there. best place to see the deer is at little palm island which is for age 16+. went to bahia honda a few yrs. ago but didn't make it this trip.

Sunset and places to eat nearby: best place to see the sunset is at morada bay cafe which is just south of cheeca on the bay side. great for dinner. tables in the sand. bring sand toys and glow stuff for kids. it was super crowded and hot sat. night so we watched the sunset and didn't eat dinner BUT we have eaten dinner there many times and LOVE it. esp. when cooler weather comes.

almost ate at green turtle but it is one of those small noisy crowded places and we don't like that.

fri. night ate at Kaiyo. OMG. It was GREAT!!!! just as good as my fav. asian places in the US which are: budakkan in phila/NYC, china grill fort laud. and tokyo blue in laud. by the sea. best of all its so pretty and relaxing inside.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Had an excellent few days at Cheeca with my family, but Cheeca would also make a great couples breakaway.
A top quality resort in a wonderful location, lot's of things for the kids to do (my boys would have fished off the pier all day, and to my surprise, catching fish was easy)

Lot's of good restuarants nearby (Islamorada Seafood company, Pierre's and Whale Harbour buffet, to name three)

Found the staff very good in general, as others have stated there is the odd grumpy one, but a minor issue.

Rooms were good quality, excellent large baths and walk in showers.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Having never written a review I have chosen to do so for Cheeca as the reviews I read left me in a panic a few weeks ago.
Our stay at Cheeca was for our full two week summer holiday so it had to be right, having paid the final bill to our agent of over 10k I was in total panic when I read the reviews on this site so I investigated further both by myself and via my agent. I tell you the figure because many reviews say – ‘not value for money’, but without the figure how can you tell if that is true.
The classic comments on this place are about the service and staff, this was a huge worry for me as we holiday in either luxury villas or 5 star hotels all around the world and so service is top of the list when finding somewhere perfect.
I think it is important that if you read and use this site to assist your holiday choice you take into account the people that have written the reviews – you don’t know them, or how much they tend to spend on holidays, know what they like and they may have very different levels of standards to you, they are also from people from all over the world so different cultures and styles also come into it, this is why my review will just be factual rather than opinion, then you can make your own mind up.
But so you know a little about the writer I can tell you that I/We have stayed in 5 star hotels from Manchester to the Seychelles and many placed in between,
Arrival – had car taken from us at from outside desk and was told it will be placed by our room for us, amazing reception to me, my husband and teenage daughter, glass of champagne handed to us as we walked in, a ten min info talk on the venue, bags taken to room and butler was good fun and helpful.
Room – Was a lagoon view one bed suite, amazing standard, clean and wonderful view, right next to the spa and two seconds from the beach – I have read that room vary but can confirm that this one was all it was meant to be.
Pools and Beach – spotless and stunning to look at, staff all over to serve you drinks whenever you require, they come round to you all the time no matter how far you are from the main bar.
Tiki bar/restaurant – guys who serve are fun and chatty – again I read that they are rude etc, there may have been the odd one who was a bit grumpy but come on, you may well be having to work in 100 degree humid heat! I can tell you that in two weeks not one person at Cheeca was rude in any way and most of the bar staff are a great laugh, we were asked how long we were staying, where are we from, what does your daughter want to do while here etc etc.What more do people want from bar staff at a hotel.
Every meal we had in the hotel was amazing as was the service, if we ate outside the hotel we had a free hotel car to take us and collect us from the venue.
We did fishing trips, snorkel trips, drives out – all under the advice and help of the hotel staff.
My husband used the gym everyday and it was perfect and good spec.
Free internet on all over the hotel was mega speed all the time.
I used the spa and the adult only area for a while and it was amazing, for anyone who fancies 5 mins away from the kids then do it, they even come and politely remove kids who try and sneak in!!!
To sum up our two week stay –
It was perfect in every way, this hotel has 90% of really happy staff and the odd one who may not be spot on is almost there!
The venue is amazing and if you now the Keys you will know it is the closet to the Caribbean yet with that wonderful American style.
My review stats show all perfect and that is because in two weeks we had nothing but 100% satisfaction.
I met one person who moaned to me about the place, I asked her where she was from and where she usually stayed etc – I think she was used to being fanned by her butler! And to be fair, I think if you wanted someone at Cheeca to fan you they probably would. Hope my review helps.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!