“Enjoy!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cheeca Lodge & Spa

Save Saved
You added Cheeca Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   81801 Overseas Highway, Mile Marker 82, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up To 25% Off Suites
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
“Enjoy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed this visit. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. All the services were clearly designed to make sure every guest enjoyed a stress free visit. The grounds were well maintained and beautiful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Perfect place to get away, relax and have fun

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We tried to stay at at Cheeca Lodge for Spring Break, and visited the website and called several times at the beginning of the year. They were running two packages of interest to us for the time period that we were looking at but the website didn't work so we called to book. We could not get helpful information from Cheeca Lodge – the employees we spoke with didn’t know the packages, room types, or the cancellation policies and generally were not interested in helping. When I asked if there was someone there who could answer these types of questions, I was told “No” on two separate occasions. The women I spoke with weren't being discourteous, just honest. It looks like a beautiful resort, but we ended up taking our families elsewhere for the simple reason that we couldn't get even the simplest questions answered. Maybe they do better when on site, but we didn't want to take the risk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I just returned after 6 days at the Cheeca. We stayed in the main lodge and the room was absolutely beautiful. It was as nice as any Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. The service and employees were friendly and helpful. We spent time on the beach and the spa pool which again was super! We will definately be back. The local restaurants that are nearby are a nice feature and many are just a short walk.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Looking forward to visiting cheeca lodge after a 4 and a half hour drive from Siesta Key,
We arrived at the lodge at 3:00 pm and were told that check-in was guaranteed at 4:00 pm.
Which is all good if we didn't get attitude from Donna. We realize presidents weekend is extremely busy at any resort so we checked back at 4:00 to get into our guaranteed room. An hour later we checked in the room at 5:00 pm with a little nudging from us. I would suggest they have a changing room available for guests who arrive early. During our stay we noticed other guests that just arrived walking around waiting for the room to be ready. It looks like this is a standard occurrence here and should be addressed. Also if reception wasn't so rude we could have waved it off.

We stayed in the main lodge overlooking the par three golf course. We felt it was not worth the extra $ for ocean front. We enjoyed the view off the spacious balcony. There was a large soaking tub on the balcony with water flowing from the ceiling. The room was well appointed and large.
Although the bathroom was dark and it was hard to put on makeup, i would bring a makeup mirror and slippers next time. The was a frig for stocking cold items but no mini bar which was fine with us because we stopped on the way for needed items.
We did have an issue with maintenance coming in to change fire detectors but the manager called and apoligized for the intrusion. Next time we will put the no disturb sign on the door or dead bolt.

We loved riding bikes to the hurricane memorial and through the small side streets. The Ecco tour was worth boat outing and we learned a lot about the Keys. (extra$)We also snorkeled through the hotel which was ok but I would do it again. (extra $)They even provided wet suits. The pool was crowded with kids as was the hot tub which were beach side. We made it over to the adult pool by the spa which was quiet but lost the ocean feel.
The resturant manager was extremely helpful and seated us when the hostess said she could get us in. The hostess was pretty unprofessional as I had to wait until she finished texting. The service and the food were good but over priced.
They do provide a courtesy van to go to some of the other resturants on the key which was very nice. The valet staff was very professional and helpful even cleaning the wind sheild on the rental car as we were continuing to drive up the east coast of Florida.
Over all I would return because the benefits out weighed the negatives.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CheecaSales, Director of Sales at Cheeca Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We appreciate your feedback, and are very glad to hear you would return to Cheeca. We were very dismayed to hear about your experience at check-in and having to wait for your room – please accept our sincere apologies.

It’s nice to hear you enjoyed the view from your room and that you found it spacious and well-appointed (apologies again for the maintenance call!). We are happy you enjoyed bicycling around beautiful Islamorada, and that you had a good time snorkeling the quiet waters of the Florida Keys. Cheeca does offer another very large, private hot tub in the gardens near the tennis courts. It sounds like your overall experience at Cheeca was a positive one, and we are looking forward to seeing you back here in the near future.
Killington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

From start to finish this was the loveliest, nicest, place I have ever stayed in. The King Suite Lagoon room was exquisite, the service from the concierge to the bar tenders, to the servers in the restaurants from start to finish was impeccable. The food at each of the restaurants was delightful and delicious.The staff was courteous, friendly and accommodating. Everyone was falling over backwards to ensure a warm and welcoming stay. I daresay, they made me and my husband feel like a prince and princess if not a king and queen. What a wonderful surprise, the entire experience at The Cheeca Lodge has spoiled me for anywhere else! We will surely be back for an annual visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the entire Cheeca team, we thank you for your excellent review. Our mission is to make each and every guest feel like royalty, and we accomplished that with you! We are looking forward to your annual visit, and will welcome you with open arms.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I had a daughter 6 months ago and my parents offered to watch her for a weekend while we went to Cheeca to recharge. We are super active people who are not into lounging on the beach. Cheeca was the perfect fit for us (although if you do want to lounge it would be great as well).

The hotel setup a half-day fishing trip for us with Captain Rich Burson. I highly recommend requesting him if you are interested in a half-day backwater trip. A great guy. We caught a 40 pound spinner shark, mackerel and at least 13 other species of fish. Lots of fun and beautiful scenery.

Earl at the front gate is awesome. The hotel couldn't have hired a more welcoming person to greet guests.

Dinner at Atlantic's edge was delicious. And the tiki bar is a blast. I highly recommend ordering two cocktails that were out of this world -- the Key Line Pie cocktail and the Painkiller (cool tin souvenir mug).

The adult pool is gorgeous and the waitress out there was very friendly and attentive.

Also, kayaking is lots of fun and included. We saw a 4 foot swim right under our two person kayak which was a real thrill.

The hotel generously upgraded us from a resort view to a lagoon view which was very nice and unexpected. We were not offered champagne when we arrived (as all the other reviews reported) but it was around noon so maybe it was too early. But we shrugged it off as we were in paradise. My one critical comment would be that I've never been so confused on how to find and turn off the room's light switches in my life. A very bizarre problem to have, but the interior of the room was gorgeous.

I highly recommend the hotel restaurants, but if you are looking to grab lunch off the property go to Ma's Fish house and order the fish tacos (no atmosphere but amazing food). And for dinner go to Chef Michael's (Hogfish, Hogfish Hogfish!).

We had such a great time, we are planning to go back next year with our daughter, my parents and brothers. We didn't even check out the 9 hole golf coarse and tennis courts which we will next time. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Lagoon room was great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviews like yours make all of us smile here at Cheeca, and we thank you for your kind words. Cheeca is indeed the perfect spot to recharge, by lounging on the beach or taking advantage of all the exciting activities included in our resort fee. It’s great you reveled in some terrific fishing here in the “Sport Fishing Capital of the World, enjoyed dining in the Atlantic’s Edge, frosty libations at the Tiki Bar, and were thrilled with a close encounter kayaking. Sounds like you had an awesome stay! We can’t wait until you return with your family and your new baby. We will have lots of friendly smiles waiting for you.
Denver Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I are in our late 30s, pretty active, and accustomed to staying at nice places. I write this only to give you some background as the type of travelers and age we are may impact our review of this resort. We travel well but usually keep to boutique hotels and B&Bs. This time around we opted to stay one luxurious day at Cheeca to celebrate our second anniversary. It was a pleasant stay to be sure, but not the height of luxury. I'll give you a flavor for the good and the bad.

The good:
- The adult's only pool next to the spa is quiet, with lovely music playing along the background.
- The spa itself is great, but does not rank amongst the best.
- The outdoor tubs in the main lodge are fun, as are the amazingly large double-person showers.
- The bedding was quite comfortable.
- Our dinner at the Atlantic's Edge was just okay for the spectacular price, but the waiter was so nice and responsive and the mussels were amazing.
- The view of the ocean from the oceanfront rooms is fabulous. The pier is great. The grounds are well kept with nice lighted paths at night for walking.

The bad:
- Service was questionable from the very beginning. We checked in early at 1PM and they took our bags, letting us know that they'd call us as soon as a King was available and have our luggage waiting in our room. By 3:30 we still had not received a call (check-in is at 4PM). We called the front desk from our lounge chairs and were told the room had been available. When we arrived at the desk, we had to wait behind a bunch of folks just checking in. Now annoyed at the lack of a courtesy call and the lack of staff at check-in time, we arrived to our room to see that the bags had not arrived there before us. We had to take care of that as well. We would expect a resort of this nature to have the staff available to handle guests well, respond to them graciously, and make the extra effort of contact when promised. By way of another example, when we ordered lunch poolside, a staff person came by and dropped off the food, but did not say one other word to us and failed to also drop off plates, napkins, water, drinks, or silverware.
- The outdoor tub in the main units is a plus and touted repeatedly in literature for Cheeca, but it's really only a fairly small tub. There are no jets or other "hot tub" or jetted features, no comfortable seating options. It's round, you sit it, you try to curl around your partner comfortably. I would have liked to see some additional features here.
- There is a TV and a DVD, and the resort fee affords you the ability to get DVD movies from the staff for free. But there are no other high-end features to the TV like I see in other hotels and resorts. I.e., you cannot rent movies from your TV, check out resort features, play games, etc. It's just a TV.
- The man-made beachfront area is easy to walk along and looks lovely in pictures, but this is not sand. Instead it feels well-crushed gravel. You need shoes.
- The main pool is a disaster of children. We have a one-year-old and love kids, don't get me wrong, but at a resort it was a bummer to have the main pool, and the only one with views to the ocean, jam packed with kids the whole time. Not relaxing, but I'm sure it is nice for families.
- The hotel has an outdoor hot tub but it is at the same location as the family-friendly pool. This makes it a less than great spot to hang out quietly during the day. More frustrating, the pools and hot tubs are off-limits after "dusk."
- The rooms with "Island View" really look out the road along the front of the hotel, and the garden palms, etc., along the road. Unhappily, I had misunderstood all of the various names for the rooms. I saw "Lagoon," "Oceanfront," and "Island." I mistakenly thought that the Lagoon view rooms must be those that look out at the grounds, the Oceanfront were those that were along the first floor facing the ocean, and the Island were those on the second/third floor facing the ocean. I was wrong. Island View and Lagoon View are basically the same thing -- it means you don't look at the ocean. Ah well. I should have been more careful. But a warning that you need to read the descriptions well and understand if you have an Island view that your room isn't particular private as there is a road that abuts that side and it is traveled by staff, etc.
- The main breakfast offered is a buffet style. You can also order food from a menu.

On the whole, this is a fine location if you are looking for a pretty view and grounds with your family. I'd say it's less ideal for couples, and lacks some of the style and service of a true resort spa locale.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend "Island View" rooms. The rooms with "Island View" real...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing Cheeca for this special occasion. We value your thoughtful and thorough feedback. We appreciate all the good elements you identified in your review, and are very happy that you enjoyed those aspects of your stay. We deeply apologize for the issues you had at check-in. You are correct, we strive to have enough staff to handle every guest’s needs with courtesy and efficiency. We will use your comments to help us improve our service in those areas. We are sorry you felt our soaking tub on your balcony should have had more features. Cheeca does offer two spacious hot tubs, one next to the free-form pool and one in the gardens behind the spa.

The type of beach found at Cheeca is typical for any beach in the Florida Keys, which are a string of tiny islands comprised of coral rock. The only living coral reef in the continental U.S. is located just off our shores. The reef is surrounded by crystal clear waters and creates spectacular fishing, snorkeling and diving adventures, but it also prevents surf-like waves from bringing in the sand like you were expecting from beaches in other areas.
The free-form pool at Cheeca is family-friendly, as is the oceanfront saltwater snorkeling lagoon and they are both very popular with children as you discovered. Cheeca does offer a very serene, relaxing adults-only pool at the Spa.
Cheeca does indeed offer an expansive selection of room types, from luxurious oceanfront rooms and suites, to beach bungalows, to rooms and suites situated around our tennis courts, golf course, spa and gardens. Those in search of a room with a view of the Atlantic should make sure the word “oceanfront” is in the room description.
We are delighted you found Cheeca to be a fine location with pretty grounds; ideal for families. We feel that Cheeca is the perfect respite for couples as well. We thank you once again for your comprehensive comments, and will use them to improve the overall quality of the Cheeca experience.

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!