“Can't say enough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cheeca Lodge & Spa

You added Cheeca Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   81801 Overseas Highway, Mile Marker 82, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Can't say enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on September 17th for our one year wedding anniversary. It is hard to put into words how much my husband and I love this hotel. Yes, it is a beautiful hotel. Yes, the grounds are magnificent as is the ocean view. Yes, the food at the restaurants on the hotel is top notch. The reason however that this hotel stands apart from any other 5 star hotel that I have stayed, at are the employees.I have to mention the front desk check in girls (particularly Brooke) whom upon finding out that is was our one year anniversary, ordered a champagne toast for us and Lisa the friendly, sweet and professional waitress at Limencello Restaurant. And finally, I have to give thanks to Gabriel, the restaurant manager. My husband called him weeks before and wanted to surprise me with red velvet cake. I found out later that Gabriel called local bakeries and outsourced the cake and had it delivered. The reason that Cheeca lodge stands out in my mind isn't the beauty of the hotel, but the inner beauty of the employees. We LOVE this hotel and I'm always sad when I have to leave! Make this your next vacation for a special occasion or a weekend getaway. You will not be disappointed! Thank you Cheeca!!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful, but not all have a tub, so if you like baths as I do, you need to request a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Nearly everything was immaculate on our recent stay at Cheeca. Checkin was smooth and gracious - nice champagne reception. Valet had been apprised of our arrival and called us by name as we drove in from the entrance gate - nice touch.

The lobby and grounds are lovely - lush and tropical.

I was expecting a standard room but I think we were upgraded. We had a full kitchen with full size refrigerator, dishwasher, stocked dishes, living room with pullout sofa bed, separate bedroom with king bed, amazing bathroom with two vanities, rain shower, garden tub, etc. Tile and granite everything. One niggle here is that our ice maker was apparently not hooked up to a water supply. Ice maching in neither our building nor the next was functioning. That's kind of a basic thing. Had to call ervice (and tip) to receive a bucket of ice.

RE the resort fee: While this is a growing annoyance at all hotels, I will say at least at Cheeca you get some things that make it a little more worthwhile: wifi resort-wide, kayaks and bikes, newspaper deliver, free business center printer access, 4 bottles of water a day, etc,

Also on a positive note, there is an "adults-only" spa pool we checked out one afternoon. Very tranquil. A group of rowdy young adults came into the pool trying to play Marco Polo, etc. There were a handful of other guests at the pool including us and while I did not see anyone go and complain, a security staff member came out and asked them to pipe down. KUDOS! I am glad they are not afraid to enforce the rules for everyone's relaxation - even without anyone having to complain.

We had no complaints about housekeeping, found 99% of the staff very friendly and helpful, grounds immaculate - everything was just immaculate!

We usually head straight down to Key West. This is the first time we stayed in Islamorada. Plenty to do, see and eat, so I see no reason to trek down that far every year. I think I found a new favorite!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is great...rooms are amazing..love love love the tub outside!! The whole staff was amazing, friendly and professional.
You have to stay here..the flowers at the lobby are colorful!!! The views are amazing..family friendly and comp champagne...great!!!
What else can you all for!!!

• Stayed September 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I just spent 3 glorious nights and 4 days (solo birthday treat getaway) at the Checca Lodge & Spa in Islamorada. The staff was very accommodating, and the stress level fades immediately upon entering the gate-you are greeted with smiles as if you were a princess “welcoming you home” with VIP treatment…..(so what I was looking for)!

From the bellman, staff, housekeeping, waiters (Ben was excellent), so friendly---.the front desk (Franky, was fabulous)-- very helpful in answering questions, and later as surprise had delivered to my suite a bottle of chilled champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and card as a gift for my birthday from the resort. (what a great surprise and special treat)!

I had reserved the Luxury Lagoon view suite (#626) overlooking spa island - was to die for –from the West Indies décor, large master bedroom, living room, Tommy Bahama fans, granite and stainless kitchen, and outdoor screened private balcony-overlooking cascading waterfalls, sparking lagoon, and footbridges and meandering streams….heavenly!!!!

The best part was the exquisite marble bath with oversized soaking tub and separate glassed in rain shower with massaging jets. (the tub was divine with lavender each night)! oh....nice

Another huge plus-The grounds were impeccable (even better than the website). At night -- a fairy tale especially the spa island area where I was staying. Magical-the paths, waterfalls, bridges, torches, twinkling lights, and beautiful manicured packed white sands – as this was the view from my balcony -- offering much privacy and a great retreat for relaxation as well as covered parking, great Wi-Fi connection, and chocolates in the evenings.

The restaurant, food, and wine were excellent as enjoyed breakfast and dinner on the outdoor patio overlooking the beach each day, and never moved my car for the entire stay.The en-suite kitchen was perfect for snacks during the day. On my birthday I treated myself at the Spa at Checca, with a massage and again the staff could not have been nicer and felt soooo pampered! One of other favorites -the evenings -- after dinner took my Nook (glow) and my favorite seat under the tiki hut with glass of wine, good read, and breezes from the water...quiet and peaceful.... who could ask for more!

If you are looking for a quiet upscale getaway with VIP treatment-without all the typical vacationers – the Cheeca Lodge is excellent. It was worth every penny! I highly recommend and cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: If you are looking for quiet, peaceful with wonderful views, privacy and ample space -would suggest...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

At arrival we were greeted by valet who offered to park our car and assist with luggage. We had arrived at 12:00 noon and were not scheduled to check in until 3pm. The registration fest informed us that our room was ready early and allowed us to check in at 12:30.

Once checked in we went to the pool where the pool staff found us chair and placed towels on them. The view from the pool is beautiful and the kids love playing at the lagoon. The pool staff brought food and drinks all afternoon and they were never far away. The food is excellent and always freshly prepared. Our kids played all afternoon at the lagoon and pool. Later that evening we used the bikes, which are free to use, and rode around the entire property.

We have stayed at Cheeca many times and the resort never disappoints. The service is top notch, the food is excellent, the rooms are spotless clean and while at the resort you truly get a vacation experience.

• Stayed September 2012
Moscow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

So to begin, big reason why my wife and I picked Cheeca Lodge is because of it's "access to over 200 feet of front beach", as the hotel's site proudly boasts. In reality, the "front beach" is covered with algae and clay, making it an unpleasant adventure to try to go for a swim at the hotel grounds! To top it off, the first few hundred yards the water doesn't go deeper than knee-deep, which made us completely give up on the idea of swimming in the ocean.

The hotel does offer two pools, which is convenient, but if I wanted to spend 10 days swimming at a pool I'd just use the common pool of the development that I live in.

Food is ok, but the service at the Italian restaurant and seafood restaurant was terrible. Waitresses at both places took over 10 minutes to bring us a glass of water after we sat down (restaurant was half full!), and made a few flops afterwards too. Sushi restaurant, on the other hand, is a very nice venue with excellent sushi and pleasant staff.

Rooms are also a bit tricky. If you're staying at the room for $250 a night, it feels like staying at a motel. The $450 or so rooms are actually quite nice, with a decent living room and bath. So make sure you're staying at the nicer rooms.

I also wasn't a big fan of $39 a day resort fee. You get to use the tennis court and a few other things, but I've never before stayed at a hotel that charges you to use it's basic amenities. Believe it or not, for several days in a row we tried to pick-up fishing rods which are part of the amenities covered by the resort fee. As it turns out, the hotel only has 7 or so rods and they were never available! Totally not cool, especially given that we're charged the fee that allegedly makes these rods available to us...

On a good note, most of the staff is very nice, including the reception and hostess staff. We also liked the fact that there was a small supermarket right outside of Cheeca, so we could literally walk to it to pick up groceries.

Not a terrible place, but not having a beach to swim at was a deal-breaker for us, and we would not go back.

Room Tip: Do not bother staying at the $250/night rooms - they're a disaster
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CheecaSales, Director of Sales at Cheeca Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. We were delighted to hear that you found our staff to be very nice, and that you enjoyed our convenient location and our Nikai sushi bar. We are so sorry that you were disappointed with our 1,200 feet of sandy, palm-lined beach. The type of beach found at Cheeca is typical for any beach in the Florida Keys, which are a string of tiny islands comprised of coral rock. The only living coral reef in the continental U.S. is located just off our shores. The reef is surrounded by crystal clear waters and creates spectacular fishing, snorkeling and diving adventures, but it also prevents surf-like waves from reaching our shores and creates the type of beach and shallow waters found here in the Keys. There is a swimming ladder located at the end of our 525-foot wooden fishing pier, and the waters there are deep enough for swimming. Cheeca does offer two swimming pools and a saltwater snorkeling lagoon stocked with native fish.
We took your comments about our food and beverage service to heart and we are working to improve our servers’ efficiency.
Cheeca’s resort fee includes tennis, golf, fishing rods, sea kayaks, bicycles, shade cabanas, fitness center, DVD movie rentals, in-room coffee, tea and bottled water, wireless internet, guest internet station with DSL and printer, local and 800 calls, guest fax services, daily newspaper delivery, local shuttle service and valet or self-parking. We apologize for the lack of fishing rods at your disposal – we are investigating this issue.
Again, thank you for your useful feedback. We truly hope you will re-consider visiting Cheeca once again. We offer snorkeling trips out to the reef every day – that’s a great way to enjoy the waters of Islamorada.
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I'm not overly picky like most of the reviewers, but for the price you pay we expected more. The hotel was great, but little things such as the pool was dirty, the spa lagoon was not clean at all, the grounds were just a little dirty and not well kept. My concern about this is that we were there during their slow season, I can only imagine how the busy season is.

The room was super nice, the bathroom was amazing and the main lodge was very nice.

The restaurant was good, a little over priced, but is to be expected when eating on hotel property.

They did have free DVD rentals for your room that was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your review, and we’re pleased that you found our resort and accommodations nice and our restaurants good. Our grounds and maintenance staff work tirelessly to keep our gardens, pool and spa lagoon areas as clean as possible, and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We will work even harder to keep these areas up to your standards.
We thank you for your comments, and hope you will return with your family once again.

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!