“An overlooked gem...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“An overlooked gem...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

We've stayed here before although a few years ago, and it was at the time, "OK". However, we decided to make a last minute trip to Islamorada and decided to try this place again. What a difference! The rooms have been updated and redone, the place overall is spotless and clean, the tiki bar was open and tastefully updated, the bartender was pleasant and friendly, and the overall demeanor of the people who work at the resort are happy, friendly, and doing their very best to appreciate your being there which begins at the front desk with a smile and a "...I'm here to help you relax..." attitude and extends throughout to even the maintenance people. The beach is clean and on the ocean side, there is a roped off swimming area, and if you have a boat, a place to put it in. Put it all into perspective for the Keys, this place is an overlooked gem that is right on the beach, upscale and reasonable, and just plain happy to see you.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad one on the property.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

We had a wonderful time!
The room was just perfect with a beautiful view of the ocean. All of the staff and especially the bartender Scott Luyet were fantastic! The grounds were clean and offered lots of fun activities.
We will be back and I hope it is soon.

Rich and Penny

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I have stayed at pelican cove several times and the hospitality is through the roof. Rooms are truly upgraded to a 4 plus star hotel quality.
Scott the bartender poolside is amazing with the greatest personality.
As well Sarah will always steal you I. The right place for any entertainment or dinner suggestions!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Did not like the air conditioning of the room. It was hot slept uncomfortable.. A/c was ok in living room but not the room itself. Also, when we got there rooms were not ready I had to wait 45 min in order to get the room cleaned and ready.. And they did not give discount or anything.. Will try other hotels nearby next time.

Stayed May 2015
Midland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Excellent place, especially Scott at the bar! He pours a mean Piña Colada - make sure to add a float to it!! Beach activities and pool are awesome. Very luxurious hammocks to help you unwind. Staff & management are all super friendly. Fun times!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Our stay was amazing, Gail and Scott tiki bartenders were awesome.the whole staff made our stay enjoyable. Our view was amazing, I will be coming back as well as recommending Pelican Cove to friends and family

Pleasantville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I cannot give this hotel a higher rating based on my experience in this area. Pelican Cove is a newly renovated Hotel which was done on the cheap. The grounds were very nice with great scenic views. I have to say the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had a problem with our thermostat and the staff immediately fixed the problem. Sarah, the entertainment director, was a doll, and we had a great time because of the group I was with. Now for the negatives. When you go on their website the rooms and beach look very large in the pictures. This is not the case. To begin with there is no lobby in the hotel. The hotel offers Continental Breakfast, but because there is no lobby the breakfast is served in the small bar area adjacent to the pool, under an overhang. The tables are in the same area with umbrellas for cover. The problem is if it rains you are going to get wet while trying to eat. There is a small area in a hallway with 2 couches, but that is the extent of cover from the rain. The breakfast was the worst of any hotel. The milk did not look right, and some of my friends would not eat the cereal. There was no toaster and one of the guys in my group wanted to buy a toaster and leave it at the hotel. Some of the people complained about the coffee, but I thought it was OK. At first glance the rooms and bathrooms look very, very, nice. In fact the bed was the most comfortable mattress I have slept on. The bathroom looked good with very modern fixtures, but after a day you realize the fixtures were very inexpensive. The shower in my room had very low water pressure. I don't know if the water was regulated or the problem was with the shower fixture. I was not the only complaint concerning this. Also, the hot water was on demand. With 2 people in the room we had to wait to take a shower, while some of my other friends said the water in their room was too hot. There was no dresser in our room so you lived out of your suitcase. To watch the TV you had to sit or lay in the bed because there was one chair off to the side and the room was very small. As I said at first glance the room looked great until you moved in. Perhaps some of the rooms are bigger. The second issue I have is a $20.00 charge on the bill for what they call a daily resort fee. This fee apparently covers the use of a bicycle, windsurfer, and kyack whether you use the services or not. We did not use any of the items and it added $40.00 onto my bill. The pool looks very large in pictures, but in reality it is small. There were 12 people in the pool and it was crowded. The brach was very, very nice. The bar stays open only until 10pm and they do not serve any hot food or appetizers. One day at 6pm 12 of my friends left the bar and went to the next hotel to get hamburgers and something to eat. You have to understand that Islamorada Florida is known as the fishing capital of the United States. I have been staying in different hotels in the area for the last 12 years, and until about 2 years ago the area remained a center for fisherman from around the world. Last Year Thrust Hospitality, which is an investment group, purchased 18 properties in Florida with 5 located in the Keys. I used to stay in the Hampton Inn which had 2 bedroom suites and is one of the hotels that was purchased. Trust Hospitality renovated all the hotels and dismantled the suites in the Hampton Inn turning the suites into one and two bedroom rooms without the living rooms and kitchens as before. Last year we were told by the management who was familiar with my group that we would be relocated to their other property at Pelican Cove. We had a great time this year, but the weather was perfect and we were fishing. If it rained there would have been a problem. We stayed 4 days and the room bill was almost $900.00. In my opinion if you were not fishing for the same money, or less, you could stay in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, where the hotels are beautiful, with bars and restaurants on site, beautiful beaches, and great entertainment, and if the weather turns bad many other options to choose from. If it rains in Islamorada there is nowhere to go and nothing to do. I spoke to a friend who has a business and lives in Islamorada. He said Trust Hospitality is trying to change the area and make it into more of an upscale resort area, and not for the better. He was not a happy camper. There are no attractions, no movies, no stores, and if it rains your finished. This is the opinion of a local and I agree.

Room Tip: I believe some rooms are bigger than others. We had a very small room 2 queen beds, no dresser, and...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Cove Resort Marina Hotel Islamorada? Share your experiences!