“NOT FOR FAMILIES” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Lehigh Acres, Florida
“NOT FOR FAMILIES”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

FAMILIES- STAY AWAY! We stayed at the Pelican Grove Resort on April 24th and 25th, 2015, and were horrified. The resort advertizes itself as a place for families, but there was a frat party with dozens of young kids, open drinking (some of it underage), sexual behavior, and yelling/screaming throughout the resort until 2:30 in the morning. Management admitted to us that they knew who they were providing accommodations to. Do not bring children here.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We have stayed here in years past and enjoyed it. This year they have new owners and total remodel! WOW!!!! fabulous ...We couldn't have been happier with our room. We stayed in a king suite...loved it. Plenty of room and very comfortable! The staff was great. My husband didn't pack his prescription sunglasses...made for a miserable time. I had a friend overnight them to us and deliver to Pelican Cove.....no problem at all! Talk with Kathy a few times about the package coming there and she assured me they would have the package ready for us! When we arrived Kathy was very pleasant and got us into our beautiful room right away! We didnt' use and of the water sports that are available there but good to know we could. Breakfast outside near the bar was perfect! The view of the water was great. Our balcony was so perfect...spent a lot of time out there. Don't miss the sunrise light on the palm trees.

Room Tip: all rooms are great....ask for a 3rd floor for the best view
Seaville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our first visit to the Keys and it won't be our last. The Pelican Cove has everything we were looking for in a small resort. Like the other reviewer, we arrived before check-in and were told we would receive a phone call when the room was ready. We did not receive a phone call. Disappointing. But that was really the only disappointing part of the trip. Our room was spacious with a king bed and sofa bed; completely upgraded. We had an ocean view room with a small patio with two chairs and a table to relax after a long day in the sun. The only drawback about the patio was you can see the neighboring patio and hear their conversations. Not very private but it only happened once. The water activities were great. My husband used the kayaks and we enjoyed watching the games the wonderful activities director, Sarah, directed. Even played Beach Bingo for free cocktails! The Pelican is a small resort which suited us fine. The Keys are not for those looking for luxury but a relaxing, fun, and restful time. We will definitely return to the Pelican Cove and bring the family. You should too!

Room Tip: Room 312 was perfect. Choose oceanfront. Overlooks everything.
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Beautiful! Resort Very kid & young adult friendly lots more water sports activities for all to enjoy, My grandson is 10yrs old and is a very active kid especially when it come to water sports, he couldn't get enough of the water activities as well as my husband. I Always enjoy the beautiful Balcony views over looking the ocean, pool, tiki bar and surrounding areas of Beautiful palm trees swaying in the light breezes of the day Beautiful! The Junior Suite was perfect for us, reasonably priced, room was neat & very clean great service,continental breakfast also offered all around Wonderful Trip

Room Tip: Balcony Rooms over looking the entire Resort Beautiful
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For location you cannot beat Pelican Cove - literally on a private beach in Islamorada so with a few steps from the building you are on the beach. Beautiful!!! However, the prices have recently gone up noticeably due to the change in ownership; they did so some renovations but there are still some things lacking. The water pressure & temp regulation was terrible - took forever to shower and we constantly ran out of hot (or ever warm) water. The room (double queen) was tight for the 4 of us, tripped over each other so it was a good thing when people went to sit on the balcony while the others got ready in room. There is also now a $20 per day resort fee that covers all the water sports they now offer. Kayaking is a great activity to cover but the last thing you want to hear upon check-in is that you have to pay more $ than you thought -- just include that in the room cost and I wouldn't have known the difference. You used to get a free drink upon check-in -- not any more. They used to offer really good lunch foods at the bar -- not any more either. The staff were really friendly, which is great when you're spending 7+ days there. Not sure if we'll try to find another hotel the next time we visit the Keys or if we'll chance this one again. It's fine and does the job - but nothing special beyond the view and location (which in the Keys isn't that hard to find).

Marco Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My family and I stayed at the Pelican Cove and we were pleasantly surprised! Nice boutique hotel with only 60 units. Very quaint! The service and staff were all kind and accommodating. They have activities throughout the day for guest. They provide access to multiple amenities (paddleboards, kayaks, snorkel equipment, etc) for the $20 resort fee per day. A simple and nice complimentary continental breakfast. We definitely recommend the King Suite for a family. A separate room for the adults and a pull out sleeper sofa for the kids. I slept on it for 2 1/2 hours when my son woke up at 5 am. I thought it was comfortable. Recently renovated so all the finishes were modern. The room had a couple funky issues like the A/C was a little loud and the instant hot shower system was sometimes a little temperamental. But all and all! Kids slept, I slept, wife slept, hot showers, satellite TV's and internet worked, pool was nice, bar had good drinks, and lots of sun! No complaints here. Would definitely go back!

Vancleave, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I called to book this room because I saw a coupon code that the website wouldn't accept. When I spoke with the woman she said "Oh yeah, we can definitely beat that $309 rate" and booked it for me for $269 (I think). How can you beat that right? Everything was great.....until we checked into the room.

First of all, I couldn't check in Saturday because nobody checks out that early so I stayed in the Homestead area (Florida City) for Saturday night. No big deal, that definitely isn't Pelican Cove's fault. But...I got to the hotel at like 10:00 am Sunday morning. Of course, rooms weren't available but she said she put me down that I was on property and as soon as the room was available she'd call me. At 4:00 PM I still had not heard from them, but I'd spent the entire day sitting on property and going to eat, etc. I went to ask if my room was ready and Yep, it was. So bad customer service. You supposedly knew that I was on property waiting to get in my room and you let me sit there for six hours waiting.

Now it gets real ugly. We were in room 201 which was a "Standard Oceanview" room. When I was booking online I was looking at a huge, spacious room with double beds and walking and patio area. 201 is a fricken broom closet located the farthest you can possibly get from the water. The only ocean view is on the patio leaning from the railing and that's a stretch. And btw, it's really only a canal/marina that you are "viewing". By no stretch of the imagination is that an ocean view.

So I was very disappointed in the room. I have never been in even a standard hotel/motel room that didn't have room to lay out suitcases, hang clothes, etc. That room is a joke. And when they don't give you the option or tell you that this is a small room, especially when booking verbally over the phone, it can be a huge let down.

Breakfast was good but not great. Absolutely nothing hot. It was cereals, breads, fruits. I made a granola yogurt parfait every morning and it was excellent. It is served outside at the bar in the common area which is odd. For us it was April so not a big deal. In the heat of summer, I can imagine it's gonna be warm and humid at 9:00 am and it's gonna suck to have to sit outside to eat breakfast.

There is no beach. If you look carefully in the pics you will notice that there is a rock jetty where the property touches the water. There's about a 4' dropoff down to the water. So forget letting kids frolic in the water, it's not gonna happen. That being said, they can go down to the floating pier and jump in. There's even a trampoline in the water that you can jump in and swim out to.

Overall not bad. The best thing going for it is being a fairly short drive into the Keys. Since this was our first trip to the Keys, we drove all the way down and came to the conclusion that we probably made a wise choice staying up in Islamorada. We would likely stay again primarily because we enjoyed the trip overall and I didn't see anyplace that I thought for sure would be better. But I'd definitely make sure I didn't get ripped off and stuck in the utility closet again.

Room Tip: I believe the lower numbers start all the way in the back. So 201 (first room on second floor) is a...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Pelican Cove Resort Marina Hotel Islamorada? Share your experiences!