“Quite but close to the action” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Resort   |   84457 Old Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Quite but close to the action”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012 via mobile

Nice,clean, quieter and more family oriented.great location. Close to everything. Reasonably priced and very courteous staff. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
San Ramon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I were driving in the keys and decided to spend the night in the Islamorada area. We were fortunate to come across Pelican Cove Resort. We were only staying for a single night but they seem to have many people staying for lengthy periods of time.
Registration was very friendly, gave us a list of possible places for dinner and breakfast with recommendations on which might be best to see the sunset from or which were right on the water. The room was very clean and well supplied with a lovely balcony overlooking the cove.
The resort has a pool, hot tub, bar right by the pools, its own lagoon right on the ocean, tennis court, public use grills; lots of ways to amuse yourself.
There is a large variety of places to eat within 2 miles either side of the resort. There is also a marine mammal "Theater of the Sea" next door with a smaller version of what places like SeaWorld provide - animal shows, places to get up close to animals, etc.
This would be an excellent place for a weekend or longer getaway!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of the ocean, ask for it. Some of the rooms overlook the marina.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed three nights on a quick getaway and didn't want to leave. We had an ocean view room with a kitchenette which overlooked the small marina and a bit of ocean. The room was fine- exactly what we expected and it was very clean. Liked having a full size fridge and a dishwasher since we ate in most of the trip.

Highlights- the huge terrace was our favorite place to sit- there was actually a tiny view bayside as well which made for pretty sunsets. Really enjoyed the live music from Run Runners when sitting out as well- it was not too loud and (usually) very good- really added something to our experience. The staff was always friendly- the bartender over at the pool bar was very super cool and we looked forward to interacting with her. Beach area was clean and there was ample shade if one shuffled chairs around a bit.

Another high point was the abilty to easily walk over to Holiday Isle/Postcard Inn and take advantage of the amenities there. Multiple bars, places to eat (we enjoyed Shula Burger) things to check out- but glad to walk back over to the calm of Pelican Cove afterward. Also, a small deli is very close as well as a Chevron to pick up beer and snacks. Very convenient location all around and we only used the car once (my kind of vacation!).

Also wanted to mention the housekeeper we had was SO sweet and always greeted us with a smile and a big hello. Nice to see happy people working here- speaks volumes to me.

The only comment/improvement I would make is to have the pool bar open later... we were disappointed when it was closed when we ventured down about nine on a Friday night. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have view of little marina- boat traffic was fun to watch.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We had a great stay at Pelican Cove. The accomadations, including room with ocean view, the boat ramp & dock served us well. The staff was very pleasant and accomodating. Would reccommend and plan to return soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Let me start by saying that my husband & I are very seasoned travelers. We did have reservations in an ocean view room & stayed two nights on our way back from Key West. We arrived at noon & thought we would see if we could check in. The woman at the desk was very nice & said the room wasn't ready yet, but we were free to use the facilities. She said she would try & hurry the cleaning process along, since we were there & try back in a couple hours. We were very early, so that was understandable. I overheard another woman at the desk being very sarcastic to someone on the phone trying to book a room. Wow! Great first impression. I went back at 2pm & room still wasn't ready. The nasty woman was there & she was very snippy with me. She said check in isn't guaranteed til 4pm & there was nothing she could do. I told her what the other woman told me & she just snorted & said to come back. My husband & I went back at 3pm & still not ready. Same nasty woman there really got mouthy with my husband. He asked what room we would be in, so we could park near it & she said she didn't know which room we would be in yet. He asked how she knew our room wasn't clean, if she didn't even know where we would be!! Why couldn't we be put into a room that was clean!! She said to him "I said your room isn't ready & we don't do things like that here!!" She never did give him a straight answer. Well, after that, I was on the computer looking for somewhere else to stay. I didn't even care about the money! Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere. We finally did get in the room at 4pm & there was another nice woman there. I told her about the nasty woman & she tried to make an excuse for her. I said there was no excuse for treating a guest the way we were treated! I was so upset by this time, I felt she had ruined half a vacation day for us! To top it off, while we were at the pool bar waiting, a thunderstorm rolled through & it was pouring out! There was a guy sitting there smoking a stinky cigar the whole time we were waiting & we had nowhere else to go! Not a pleasant experience!

On to the room & the resort. Room was clean but very out dated. The couch & carpet were filthy. There was no coffee for the coffee pot. I guess they ran out. I was hoping after our terrible start maybe we would at least have a nice room.The view from the room was great & the grounds & pool area were very nice.

I can honestly say, I would never stay there again, or recommend it to anyone. In all the years we have been traveling I have never run into anyone like that at the front desk. I'm sure it would have been a whole different story if someone else would have been there. Too bad.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed at teh Pelican Cove for a family wedding that was nearby and had a wonderful time. The accomodations were clean, and worked out perfect. The people there, from the front desk to the houskeepers were exceptionally kind and helpful. Would reccommend and hope to return again some day. Thanks for everything.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
westmass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife and I are seasond travelers and made these plans on the spur of the moment It was one of the best trips we have EVER takin. this place is a hidden jem and hope it stays that way. there is just not enough good things to say about this place if your looking for laid back you will find it here, if you want more its not far away

Room Tip: try to get a 2nd or 3rd fl rm with a kitchen in bld #3 they look out over the ocean and beach, awaso...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Cove Resort Marina Hotel Islamorada? Share your experiences!