“YUM!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Ocean County, NJ
“YUM!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

We ate here our last day in Islamorada in October, it's nice and on the water...I had the Tuna Nachos and will again our next trip! Sandy "Soprano" was our waitress and although we were seated as her shift was ending, she stayed and served us and gave us great conversation...can't wait to go back! Awesome food (FRESH Tuna!) and service!
Bob and Cherie from NJ

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

El Dorado Hills, California
“Okay but there's better nearby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Had lunch - Mahi Fish Reuben and a Grouper Sandwich. The Reuben was average but the Grouper (not usre if it was Grouper) was undercooked and pretty flavor less. We did like the sweet potatoe fries. Nice view of the mangrove and some ocean. Just our luck that construction was underway on the deck. We were seated there anyway and eventually asked to move inside as construction workers were in our face, blocking the view and yelling back and forth over us. I would suggest suspending work during the lunch hour or closing the deck during construction. Go to Ballyhoos or Snappers instead.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
minneapolis, mn
“terrible service, rude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We went here to have a drink and light dinner at about 5pm. Sat at a table 3 feet away from the bar since the bar area was full. It is not a very big place and it was too cold to sit outside (really!).
Since the menu stated happy hour 4-6pm we thought that was a plus but it wasn't. I just wanted a tasty margarita and my companion wanted a glass of wine. The server told us happy hour only applies if you sit at the bar, but she would send the bartender over to take our drink order. We weren't really given any choice in the matter, they just did it their way before we knew it. The wine my friend wanted was 5.50 at the table but only 2.50 at the bar, for the same wine. Whatever! Should not have been a big deal, and really wasn't at the time. The bartender brought my margarita too which was not handmade, I could tell it was a Cuervo Golden mix straight from the bottle, with the citric acid taste and not much other flavor. Not what I ordered but I figured if it was happy hour price, then fine.

The menu wasn't too impressive so we decided to just split an appetizer and eat dinner elsewhere. Ordered the ahi tuna roll which was very good, delicious in fact. However they had laid the chopsticks in their paper wrappers right in the sauce on the plate which was poor presentation.

When the bill came I saw my margarita was $7. I asked the bartender about that and she said "I told you margaritas are not on the happy hour special." Well no, she didn't mention that before. If it had been a decently mixed drink I would've been perfectly happy to pay full price for it.

As other reviews have stated, you get the feeling that this place caters to locals and not tourists. We found that a lot in the Keys, and probably won't go back again. Definitely not to Island Grill.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“My Absoluty Favortie Place on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have been going to Island Grill for at least 5+ years. The food is outstanding, the service is friendly and the outdoor seating and view is calming and beautiful. I love the Fish or Labster Taco's or the Hogfish sandwich. Anything I've ever had has been excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
fl
“Won't Return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Sent food back 2 times. Still not right. Rude service. High price for what they offer.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere