“All the basics for a keys vachation!” 4 of 5 stars

Drop Anchor Resort
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   84959 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Hobe Sound, Florida
“All the basics for a keys vachation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The hotel was ok. We stayed in room 12 which was a two bedroom apartment. There was a full size bed that took up most of the room, but there was a very large closet. The second bedroom was off the first bedroom and had two twin beds. These rooms were very cute and very clean with window AC units in them. The living room also had a large futon queen I believe. We had a view of the overseas hwy which while not attractive... was not as bad as I thought. Our friends had a room that was close to the office again no view of the water but very cute room with a private courtyard in back.

The grounds were immaculately maintained and had a very nice view of the ocean with several palapas for shade and nice little seating areas. The swimming pool was nice too. We had a boat which was able to be launched from their boat ramp. Ours is a 23 ft Sea hunt and it was a bit difficult to navigate the water there as it was so shallow. Launching had to be done at high tide and the ramp dropped into a slope in such a way that a lot of trailer's drag. Didn't seem to harm anything but made us very nervous. The water in front of the hotel is gross and shallow. It doesn't detract from enjoying the grounds, but you can't swim there unless you are in the pool.

Room Tip: Find a room that does not face the parking lot or the road. Only a few do, but the grounds are lovel...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. Our property is sitting on fishing flats it is not for swimming. But yes, you can launch your boat, jet ski, paddle boards or kayaks. We are visibly close to the Islamorada sandbar. We do pride ourselves in maintaining our resorts cleanliness. We thank you for your words of praise, and will pass them on to the rest of out staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Englewood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed in room 3. It was spacious and the view was fantastic of the ocean. The pool was nice. The room was decorated very tastefully. Comfortable bed and kitchen with bare necessities so you can cook of BBQ. Little tip: The Trading Post just south on 1 has very fair prices, especially for an island market. They were experiencing problems with cable and WiFi, but they had Comcast there working on the problem when we checked out. Hammocks and tables under huts are plentiful on the well cared for property. Boat pickup is right at the hotel for divers, fisherman or snorkel ears.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. When you were here we had just changed our cable/internet provider. Which caused a little interference with the wifi. We do appreciate that you are so understanding to this matter. Room 3 is one of our oceanfront suites. We do pride ourselves in making all our guests as comfortable as possible.We look forward to accommodating to you next time your travels bring you to the Islamorada area.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I just returned from a short - too short - trip to Islamorada and this hotel. The fact that it was too short was my own fault, as they only had a vacancy on a Friday and the hotel was full on Saturday. I had planned to stay longer, but weather is a big "if" for a boater and fisherman like me. With a 7 day cancellation policy I just did not want to take the chance on a non-refundable policy. As luck would have it the weekend weather ended up being perfect.

With that being said, I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of the accommodations. This is a small hotel and I arrived too early to check-in (I wanted to go fishing afterall :-)) so I headed out to sea before having a chance to check-in around 6:00pm. When I returned I noticed the very well kept and clean areas facing the ocean, with chairs and areas to relax. The lady at reception was very nice and welcoming and handed me the keys. When I walked in the room I was quite honestly shocked to to see how nice it was for a small hotel in the middle of the keys - clean, obviously newly renovated, with nice decor, and very comfortable beds. Flat screen TV, very quite - the bathroom was probably the most dated, especially the bathtub and shower - but nice and comfortable enough for my taste.

At night, I went to the Restaurant right at the end of the street (sorry the name escapes me) and the to Tiki Bar at Postcard Inn

For the rate paid - compared to the others in the area - a very good value. Planning is important, since reception is only open from 9:00am to 9:00pm, but they are very accommnodating in being able to launch the boat early and check-out (there is a box to drop the key) since again my fishing trip involved getting up early.

Most of the guest there are non-Fisherman like me and without a boat, but if you do decided to arrive with a boat make sure to check tides in advance. I unfortunately arrived at low tide and it was very difficult to launch the boat. Also the area of the boat ramp is very narrow and difficult to navigate. The channel leading into the hotel is narrow and very shallow. If you come with a boat bigger then 22' I would probably suggest launching at a nearby boat ramp instead of using the hotel property boat ramp. Stay very close to docks in the very narrow and shallow channel.

One additional observation, one that is completely outside the control of hotel, but the guest of the hotel were friendly and amazed at both days I returned with a cooler of fish - what fisherman does not like to show of their catch :-) There is a cleaning station right by the boat ramp, which made it very convenient to clean the catch.

Wish I could have stayed one day longer - which I could have had I been able to reserve with more advance notice, but boating weather is difficult to predict within their cancellation policy.

I can see why this hotel had no vacancy compared to some of the surrounding hotels - a good value (the keys is expensive) compared to surrounding hotels of equal value.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 11, with a non-ocean view and was happy! The entire hotel seems quiet at all hour...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. We appreciate you taking from your valuable time to do so. We try to accommodate as best we can to each and every one of our guests and understand that sometimes we just want to hurry up and get our vacations started. Our check-in is at 3:00pm however if your room is ready this check-in time is not set in stone. And we allow our guests to start using our facilities as soon as they arrive. We look forward to having you down again.
Delray Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed here for only one night, wish it could have been more. We stayed in 14B, small room but you really don't need more room. Its on the first floor, it is kind of like having your own private cottage. They have the cutest chairs with their logo on them in front of every room. The grounds are very well maintained and everyone is very nice. Pool was clean and refreshing. I will absolutely stay here again. Perfect location, right in the middle of Islamorada.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean are definitely the best.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our quaint Resort. That is the idea here at Drop Anchor Resort. For all of our guests to have the R & R they are looking for. We are a small eighteen room Resort and pride ourselves on making everyone's stay as comfortable as can be. We look forward to accommodating to you next time your travels bring you to the Islamorada area.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I needed to get away for a little from work and the craziness of Miami life. We found Key West to be a little pricey for our budget, so we looked into Islamorada. This little place had great reviews and got a great price for 3 nights so I booked it. Loved it!! The location was perfect. Not far from local restaurants and about an hour and a half or so to Key West (which we did a day trip of). Our room was a little small, but it worked for us two. Loved the decoration and the bed was so comfy. I got to enjoy the hammocks and pool (so relaxing).

Will definitely consider this place again for another little escape.

Room Tip: Room 14B is one of the smallest, definitely for one to two people.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking from your busy schedule to review our Resort. Yes room 14-B is one of the smallest rooms on out property. It is very quaint for a couple and facing the ocean and pool. You can't beat that type of R&R. We are very glad that you chose our Resort and look forward to accommodating to you next time your travels bring you down to The Florida Keys (Islamorada) area.
West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We spent a night here on our way to a wedding in Key West - this place is just what we were looking for -on the water, some character and not a chain resort. 'Resort' may be a misleading term with this place, to me it was just more of an old fashioned motel/cottage spot with a great pool.
We stayed in the oriental room which was charming but small, we didnt need more room as we were only staying one night, but some other guests showed me their room and it was big! I wasnt jealous as I liked our little room on te water and would stay there again. The grounds are nice, there is a ramp for your boat and plenty of restaurants and bars within a few miles to keep you entertained.

Room Tip: Room 15 looks across the cute grass garden over to the water, you can park next to your room. Great...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to review our property. And I agree room 15 is an adorable quaint room. We pride ourselves in the up keep of the grounds here as well as the cleanliness of our rooms. We look forward to accommodating to you next time your travels bring you to the Islamorada area. I will pass along your word of praise to the rest of our staff.
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

When is the last time you meet the owner and was handed an actual motel key? This was a great little find in our Keys trip last year. We stayed here for two nights in between our Key Largo and Key West. A great property - very clean and peaceful. Nice sandy area on water with hammocks. We really enjoyed our stay. The manager gave us tips on where to eat at a restaurant that would fix our catch of the day. Oh yes - the great fishing trip on "the dirty boat" but that is another review. Loved our entire trip. This motel is a YES!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view (there are only a couple). The manager brought me a key and when I re...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort and we are always happy to assist our guests to the best of our ability. We look forward to accommodating to you the next time your travels bring you to the Islamorada area.

Been to Drop Anchor Resort? Share your experiences!