“Exactly what I had expected!” 5 of 5 stars

Drop Anchor Resort
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   84959 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Chesterfield, NJ
“Exactly what I had expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We just returned from a three night stay at the Drop Anchor Resort, room 2. Everything was exactly as I had anticipated, with the exception of the view... which I don't think I could have imagined to be so beautiful! Our bed was very comfortable. Our bathroom was small, but functional (the shower was a decent size). Not too much bureau space if you are staying longer than we did. However, the location was incredible. The staff very friendly. And yes, we did get daily maid service for no extra charge. At times we felt that we had the entire place (beach included) all to ourselves-- despite the fact that they were at full occupancy! I highly recommend this establishment as a great base for your daily adventures!

Room Tip: Room 2 was in the perfect location to gaze over the water.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your terrific review! I absolutely love the view from Room 2 as well! I will be sure to pass your praise along to the staff. We are so happy that you enjoyed our property and we hope that you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the Islamorada area!
Best Regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

After searching many places to stay in Islamorada that would accommodate 4 people for four nights, I landed on the Drop Anchor Inn. Just like most of the motels in Islamorada, they is an older motel but it has obviously been renovated. We stayed in room 12 which had two bedrooms and one bathroom. The main bedroom had a queen bed, alarm clock and a closet. The second bedroom had two twin beds. The living area featured a couch with a flat screen tv, dining table and a full kitchen. The kitchen had a small coffee maker, full size fridge, microwave and a stove. There are three ceiling fans, one in the living room and one in each bedroom along with three A/C units in each room which makes for very comfortable sleeping conditions. The only issue I found with the rooms are that whomever is staying in the second bedroom, has to go through the main bedroom to get out of the room. So everytime someone gets up in the night to go to the bathroom or get something from the kitchen, they have to walk through your room first. It's a very strange setup. The cleaning staff comes once every 3 days but the office will provide you with anything you could possibly need in the meantime. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. Room 12 faces the highway but we couldn't hear any traffic noise at all.

The grounds are spotless. The pool is only a quick little stroll down the path and it is immaculate. The pool is gated on all three sides except for the ocean side which leaves you with a beautiful ocean view as your relaxing in the pool or on the surrounding deck. The beach area has several tiki areas that light up at night with blue dangling lights and feature relaxing adirondack chairs all over the place, along with lounge chairs and barbeque areas. There is docking for boats with ladders to climb up to the beach area and a boat ramp but the ramp doesn't look like it's been used in quite some time. There is quite a drop off at the end of the ramp, I would hate to see someone's trailer wheels go off it accidentally. I think one of the neatest things about being in the keys is watching all the gorgeous sea life in the water. I really wish this resort would have had underwater lights on the dock. It would have been really nice and relaxing to take a stroll out there at night and watch the fish. When we were there they were replacing a deck on one of the oceanfront rooms and it is very evident that they are working hard to keep updating the place to make it better and better. This being said, we will definitely return to the Drop Anchor and we are anxious to see what updates will be added for next year!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for such a detailed wonderful review! I am sure that your review will help other travelers in making the decision to stay with us here at Drop Anchor! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! I will also pass on the idea of the underwater lighting on to the owner! I think that would be a great addition! Again, thank you for choosing Drop Anchor & for letting others know about your stay! Word of mouth is the best advertising! We hope that your future travels will include the Islamorada area and Drop Anchor Resort! Best Regards & Stay Warm!!
Little Hoole England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We were due here 4 nights and arrived on a Thursday to a warm welcome and the place is idyllic. The lady on the front desk was really helpful and the place is lovely and clean.The grounds are just gorgeous and very well manicured. Lots of places to sit out and hammocks and the loaded barbeques are a really nice touch. We met Steve who walks the property and he is obviously very proud of his property. He goes to the trouble of videoing the accommodation so you know what you are getting. We were short of some glasses and a table in our room but in a flash these arrived and during our stay in Room 6 he even swapped out the fridge that worked perfectly well but was a little rusty. He explained he was planning to install a flat screen tv that would allow him to have some table top space underneath and its obvious he continues to upgrade the accommodation to keep up with the pricing curve. We could not have wished for a better find on the Keys. On the Friday night-or rather the Saturday Morning some fellow guests decided to have a night cap and whilst you can easily expect noise and dancing until 1am it was upsetting as the partying started at 1.30am and continued until 4.00am. That said we relaxed in the gardens the next day and we saw Steve but didnt mention anything to him. Guests talked about the noise between themselves but its curious -nobody in the classroom likes snitching to the teacher. What could Steve have done anyway. It turned out there were 3 separate single sex parties booked in who didnt know each other and they obviously enjoyed themselves. The numbered about 18-20. During the daytime the girls on the Bachelorette party got rather excited before they left for their lingerie party. Their favourite word began with a letter that begins with a letter that comes between "e" and "g" in the alphabet and they could use it as a noun and an adjective in the same sentence. It didn't just make us groan-a young family tried asking the girls to be a little more considerate-without success and when he approached Steve he was offered a full and immediate refund. On the Saturday night the performance was worse. It started at 10.00pm with some girl visitors arriving in the adjacent rooms occupied by some young men and after my wife knocked on the interlocking door asking them to be quieter they battered the door with the flat of their hands. The partying was in full swing until 2:45am and then went quiet for half an hour before it erupted again and it was not until 4.30am that it stopped. An hour later some girls were screaming and crying but that petered out after 10 minutes. Bless them they must have been tired. At that stage we were just hoping that the 20 youths would be leaving so we could have our last night in peace. At 6.30 am the 6 men in our adjacent rooms left with usual furniture moves but some very bad tempered shouting at us. I can only assume that they had taken offence when my wife asked their visitors to be quiet. That was on one occassion at 10.00pm the previous evening and we never muttered a word after that. We daren't look out of the blinds so we just read until the partying had finished. I think it was just one of them that started banging very hard on our room and using the "f" word in a very aggressive fashion. One of his friends said at one point "Leave them they are old" The banging on the walls stopped and we were just subject to verbal abuse until they sped off at 7:10 am. I didnt want to venture out immediately but at 7:30am when I was sure they had gone I went to see Steve. I was amazed when Steve said he didnt hear anything but he could see I was shocked and he offered me all my money back and apologised most profusely. He asked why i didnt call him as he would have called the Police and had them thrown out. He knew he had 3 single sex groups but they didnt know each other. He said he knew the Girls were offensive as he had spoken to them on 3 occasions the previous day. So heres the word of caution. When you arrive you are given Steves number and told that he lives on site. Dont do what I did and leave your cell phone in your car. Steve refunded $300 dollars for the 2 disturbed nights and refunded the Monday too as we were so shaken we had to move on. We happily paid for Thursday night and in a way felt sorry for Steve because he said after Agent and Bank commission he probably only got what he was refunding. I think we got unlucky having 3 separate groups all up for a party but particularly having Room 6 when the area directly underneath was the congregating point for the partying. So as well as keeping your phone with you ask Steve if he has got any single sex parties in and ask for his advice on which rooms to take. I am sure you will be just fine in the week but weekends just warrant some caution. In summary the place is idyllic and I would have awarded 5 stars without question had it not been for encountering a bunch of inconsiderate guests. I know this review flies in the face of all the other glowing reports so hopefully we just got really unlucky. I dont knock Steve or his establishment as he too deserves a nights sleep and I would not have wished anyone staying in Room 6 unless you were also a one of the partygoers. Weve travelled the world and must have stayed in 150/200 different hotels usually for more than one night and before this weve only had 2 bad experiences and in each case we didnt complain we just walked out. Live and let live is our motto. What a shame we felt so intimidated in a perfect setting.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your comments about the friendly staff and the cleanliness of the property. I will be sure to pass them along to the staff. We are constantly updating the room amenities, the grounds, etc. It was very unfortunate that your stay coincided with 3 separate groups. We were unaware that 2 completely separate Bachelorette parties would be staying at the hotel at the same time. There were a total of 12 ladies between the 2 groups. The group of gentleman was a guy’s weekend fishing trip that also happened to be on property. There were a couple of issues that were addressed by Steve early in the weekend, but there were no further complaints. I also feel the need to clear up that I believe you meant parties that were all female or male, not an actual “sex party”. We now have policies in place so that we can determine the reason a “group” books at the hotel so that we can have prior knowledge and make necessary adjustments. (i.e. not allowing multiple groups on the same days, etc.) We do not wish to damper any guests good time, but we also take measures to ensure that ALL guests are able to enjoy their stay. Again, thank you for your review, and we hope that should future travels bring you to the Islamorada area that you will again choose Drop Anchor.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and I stopped here for couple nights before our cruise. It is a perfect place for relax and Steve (the owner) is super friendly. We love the decoration in the room and the whole place is so well kept, everything is so nice and clean. The little beach in the back is perfect for relax under the tiki huts or hammocks looking out to the ocean (there is no water access for swimming). The only downside about this place is the street noise if you stay in the rooms near the street (we were in room 18).

I will definitely come back to this place when we travel to Miami next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the street side and next to Steve's office. You can hear him talking on th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations and share a piece of our paradise with you! We look forward to future visits! Best Regards!
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Thank you Drop Anchor Resort! What a delightful spot that makes you want to sit and stare at the sea all day. Room 7 was perfect, fabulous view, lovely deck, and surprisingly modern inside. A real find located in an area with plenty of restaurants and things to do. A great respite from a nasty winter!

Room Tip: Room 7 is closest to the sea. Simply perfect.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review! We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon! I will be sure to pass your review along to the rest of the staff! Best Regards!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Loved the classic exterior. We had a spacious room that had been pleasantly modernised - very comfortable beds & everything you could ask for in the kitchen. We adored the location on the water & the stunning views morning and night.

This is a characterful property that is very well looked after. If we are back in the Keys we will definitely try to stay here again. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Drop_Anchor_Resort, Manager at Drop Anchor Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! We hope that when future travels bring you to the Islamorada area that you will once again choose Drop Anchor!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I didn't expect this place to be so impressive. We reached at night and even then this resort didnt fail to please us. Its soft lights were all too welcoming. In my view the rooms were had a beachy feel and were spacious with all necessities. Right behind the resort was a breathtaking view of the water body, LED lit shams and hammocks along with lovely coconut trees. Oh it was so romantic!!!

Room Tip: I am not sure if they have a gym. I guess all rooms are equally adorable.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for review of our property! We are happy that we were able to share a piece of paradise with you! We hope that if future travels bring you to the Islamorada area that you will once again choose Drop Anchor!! Best Regards!!

Been to Drop Anchor Resort? Share your experiences!