“Amazing!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 83 Restaurants in Islamorada
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A warm, inviting dining room with colorful local art adorning the walls. Small, sleek bar serving fine wine and beer. Tropical veranda seating for a lovely alfreso dinner or Sunday brunch.
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We happened to stop at Chef Michael's looking for breakfast on a Sunday morning after our early morning fishing charter had been rained out. We were all starving and on the way back to our hotel to eat, when we saw Chef Michael's and decided to see if they served breakfast. We walked up and saw they were open, but were hesitant to go in because of the " fishing attire" we had on. (Not to mention we were soaking wet from the rain!) Well, we were welcomed in with open arms. Breakfast was absolutely delicious. Service was great, and everyone was just so friendly. Our breakfast experience was so wonderful, we decided to make a reservation for dinner that night. Again, everything was amazing!

• Visited July 2012

Florida
“I so wanted to love this restaurant but it fell short”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I was anxious to try Chef Michael's. I was in Islamorada for a month and ate at all of my fav restaurants. It was toward the end of the trip and I wanted to experience an amazing meal that it looked like Chef Michael's offered. I was actually on the fence between going to Pierre's because their oysters rockefeller w truffles and tempura fried lobster tail is amazing but decided to try this instead.

We had a reservation and we were promptly seated. The inside was nicely decorated in a hip and welcoming decor. We opted for outside dining on the patio. Our server was so nice but service was slow. I asked her to recommend a wine and she did. However, they were out of the wine. She said the owner would let us have a bottle that was priced much higher for the same price. Chef Michael even came to our table himself to apologize for being out of the wine and offered us the free upgrade. I thought that was very nice and we really appreciated it.

We split the romaine heart salad. It was presented on 2 plates, which was nice so we didn't have to divide it ourselves. It was good. The tomato was really sweet. It's hard to find really good tomatoes this time of year so that was nice. I can't say I was crazy about the dressing. I ordered the special, hog fish w/ a lobster tail. It had this spicy chili sauce on it that drowned the fish. Our server had to bring out another plate so my fish wouldn't be swimming in the sauce. My friend had the steak special that he ordered medium well. It came out pretty rare. It was good but nothing special. The vegetables were pretty bland, too. We finished w the carrot cake that was very good.

Everyone at this restaurant was incredibly nice. I just don't agree that the food was amazing. It was ok certainly not bad. I don't know if it was just an off night or what. For the price, Pierre's is a much better option.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marlborough, Massachusetts
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Not sure who is rated #1 and why Chef Michael's is rated #2! What a fabulous meal and I highly recommend eating at the bar. The bartender David is a wealth of information, entertaining and a total delight. What an experience we had dining at Chef Michael's.

• Visited March 2013
Waimea, Hawaii
“A must dine n Islamorada.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Great venue, service and food... will definitely return and recommend. We had the hog fish prepared in 3 different ways and they were all exceptional.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good Food Below Average Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just had dinner at this restaurant based on the reviews. My husband actually wanted to go to Ma's Fish House but I talked him into this restaurant. We arrived at 7:45 without a reservation. We weren't greeted but then were able to get a table. It took about 20 minutes until someone walked by our table. I had to ask for a waiter. My husband kept trying to leave but I insisted that the reviews were worth waiting. We did not get our meal until 9:00pm. As we looked around it seemed as though everyone was waiting forever. Our waitress only came to the table to ask for our order and to collect a check. The food was good but we had much better meals at other restaurants in the area. We had fantastic meals at the Cheeca Lodge this week. If you are visiting the area do not let the reviews fool you. I regret not going where my husband suggested.