“They asked me to leave!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Islander Resort

Save Saved
You added Islander Resort to your Saves list
Islander Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mile Marker 82.1 Oceanfront, P.O. BOX 766, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Ranked #10 of 20 hotels in Islamorada
Miami, Florida
“They asked me to leave!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel paying a total of almost $250 per night (prepaid). Room was for 3 people. When we got there they gave us a room with only one king bed. Called the receptionist to complaint and she said that I paid for a room on the run of the house, that it was all she could give me. I asked for a roll away bed and she said they did not have one and I could leave if I wanted to. AGAIN, MY RESERVATION WAS FOR 3 PEOPLE!!!
I did not believe, it was my 10th anniversary and my husband and I were celebrating and we took our son with us. I left, couldn't book anything else. My son was crying all the way back home, we live in Miami. Horrible staff, very unprofessional. Will report them to BBB. They ruined my celebration.

• Stayed July 2013
islander123, Director of Sales at Islander Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We are so sorry your vacation didn't turn out as expected. Unfortunately, your room was booked through a third party and the reservation only showed 2 adults. There was no mention of a request for two beds. During the dates of your stay we were in a sold out situation and simply did not have a room with two beds to move you to or any available roll aways. I will definitely speak to the front desk as they certainly could have explained the situation to you better and more professionally. If you would like to give us any additional information, please call our General Manager, Robin at 305-664-2031

761 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I took my family of 4 to this resort. They have a great location,right on the Atlantic. They have 2 pools there, both are very warm. The rooms were nice, the only problem was the beds were to small. My 18 and 12 year old had a tough time of both fitting on it. They have a good breakfast, lots of options. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Was down in the Keys on business for a short trip and took advantage of a booking special for this hotel. Should have known better! It's definitely very "campy" not resort like. Guess it's not an issue for some people. We got to the Islander early and was greeted by friendly front desk people. They allowed us to use the pool and other amenities while we waited for the room. The pool and beach were lovely. Staff at the restaurant and bar were extremely nice. However, things went down hill when we received the keys to our room. Room was next to a mechanical area and dumpster. It smelled, was musty, bed linens looked worn. Not at all like the pictures on the website. There was no way on earth would I have remotely stayed there even after being offered another room. Called the Cheeca Lodge next door and stayed there. So glad we did!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The motel was average, but numerous items did not work. The "free internet" did not work, I was only able to get on the internet once during my 3 night stay. The cable tv kept cutting off throughout our stay. The ceiling fan on the porch didn't work, and we first arrived, we checked in and were given the keys, but when we got to the room, it wasn't ready. the cleaner was still cleaning. She had to come back with sheets for the second bed, which arrive about a 1/2 hour after we checked in. Overall, the stay was a step up from camping. The best part was the pool and the proximity to the ocean. Although not exactly a "beach", it was beautiful. The beach was full of seaweed, although the hotel cleared a path out a clearing that you could swim in. Beds were uncomfortable, but my husband and kids enjoyed the fishing pier, and we enjoyed the water sports, but overall I would not return to this resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Plainview, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Overall:

The motel has the ambiance of a sprawling campsite rather than a resort. To call it a resort is somewhat an overstatement as their amenities are not typical of a Waldoff or The Ritz, however for a trip to relax, I prefer destinations just like this. We felt nestled on an island oasis with a fair amount of accommodations such as an incredible pool area, beautiful views from a relaxing tiki bar and a complementary morning continental breakfast. The location of the resort is in the center of all the action, literally within walking distance of the major restaurants and other activities in the area.

The best part of our stay was the outstanding service the manager provided during our departure. She really made an effort to ensure our trip was pleasant even though the weather was not always and the minor issues with our room such as the view or lack of.

The only reasons I would not rate this place excellent are as follows:

The gym is lacking and not air conditioned. We utilized the gym 7 of our 9 days, and unless you start early, expect to break a sweat--big time. Also, the equipment is geared towards cardio with limited weights.

There are no children activities unless paid for by water sport rental company located on the premises. Some resorts such as Indian Head Resort, in NH provides karaoke, clown tricks, painting classes, sleigh riding in the winter, etc. The Woodloch Pines provides many of the same amenities; shows for mommy & daddy, movies for the kids, archery, skeet shooting, water skiing. and round the clock home made food. Both are fantastic getaways, especially with kids or the young at heart, but their prices are substantially more.

The breakfast menu did not include an hot proteins such as eggs, ham, or bacon. Some resorts we stayed at invest in a low cost waffle maker which adds an element of home cooking to a continental breakfast. The juice and cereal bar were good, although the choice of oatmeal was instant.

The rooms were spacious providing an efficiency kitchen area and vaulted ceilings. Overall the room was clean however we had an issue with ants. I guess it is expected located so close to the water. The staff came in a sprayed immediately after our call.

The mattresses sink in towards the center so a board was brought to our room to provide support. It definitely helped. Also, the screened porches are somewhat unsightly. The front entrance can use some vegetation to make it more inviting.

The tiki bar/pool area needs music or some entertainment, at least on the weekend. Even a single piano, guitar player or calypso kettle drummer would add tremendous island flavor.

Finally, the pig roast on Saturday night s a great idea but at $ 35 per adult, the cost was a bit too high. I think a better alternative would be to sell pig roast sandwiches or sliders by the bar for those of us trying to watch our weight and wallets.

If the above issues were addressed, we would come back year after year. The location of the resort is great, the views are incredible, the service outstanding, I love the layout of the property, but would add a few more palm trees to shelter the sun. Other than the above, I would definitely recommend the islander and certainly come back.

Room Tip: Look at the property map and make sure if an ocean view is desired that there are no obstructions su...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went on a cruise on 7/5 returning on 7/8 and started for the Keys were we were to stay at the Islander Resort on 7/8 and 7/9. Upon leaving the port starting our drive to the keys we learned my wife’s father was in serious condition in the hospital. I called the hotel directly and was greeted by a very nice female on the telephone. She stated she could not cancel as my reservations were through expedia, but if they would call there, they would waive the cancellation fees. She then gave me their number as we were on the road. I informed Expedia I could provide proof of the hospitalization if necessary. Expedia called the Islander and within 10 minutes stated they waived any cancellation fees and required no proof of the hospital stay. The Islander’s concern, understanding and generosity are more than appreciated and I want to thank you very much as I realize you certainly did not have to do what you did. We will certainly be back to visit and our stay will certainly be with you. Kudos also to expedia who waived all fees also and took care of everything for me promptly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lauderdale by the Sea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I should have known when we arrived. Front desk was too busy answering the phone to even smile at check-in. But, we were still happy. Went to our room located in a building near to the beach area. Regardless of what they advertise, beach view means a tiny bit of view from 200 yards away. Still happy.
I need to say we are very fun loving, no strangers to a good party but, we were located smack in the middle of a very boisterous family reunion. They must have had 10 rooms scattered around us. VERY loud music until 1-2:00 AM every night. Not so happy.
Tried to call the front desk but the room phone did not work, neither did the coffee maker or bed side lamp. Finally emailed the desk and got a response a day later on the morning we left to say they sent security who did nothing, nothing, nothing to even slow the party down. One of the worst hotel beds we have ever slept on, lumpy and worn. Had no maid service the first day there, I notified the front desk who said "I'm sorry" that's it. Not so happy anymore.
If I had paid $59.00 a night I would have expected this type of accommodations but at $238.00 a night with every single amenity an additional cost I thought I was taken advantage of.
There was no regard for the comfort of other guests regarding the noise from this reunion. We took our bed comforter off the bed to hang over the door to muffle the sound. I know it's the keys, things happen, we came to relax and enjoy the incredible beauty this area offers but NEVER at the Islander again! Spend the extra $100 a day and go to the Cheeca Lodge, heaven on earth!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Islander Resort? Share your experiences!