“Mini Vacation at Postcard Inn” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   84001 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
miami
“Mini Vacation at Postcard Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Postcard Inn was newly renovated and they did a great job! It's family oriented versus how it use to be. At check in, if you booked under a discount rate they will require proof, so make sure that you have it. We reserved 2 rooms at a government rate, I had requested the rooms on the same floor, but unfortunately, they were in different floors. When I called to ask, they told me they did not have availability on the same floor. I found it odd, since I had called the day prior and reminded them when we arrive, but anyhow, that was the only complaint. The room was very nice, a good size for two and the bed was really comfortable. The pool is open late, which is a plus. As before, the Tiki Bar is still there for those great Rum Runners and the Raw Bar is one of the best for fresh seafood. No need to drive anywhere, everything you need is there. I highly recommend the Postcard Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina at Holiday Isle, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thanks for your comments. Sorry for the room mixup at check-in. We will hopefully get you exactly the arrangements you desire on your next visit. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the NEW environment we have worked hard to create here at PCI. It is much more adult and family friendly than it has been in the past. I hope that you will return soon and often!!

Sinceerely,

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this recently renovated resort this August. My husband and I had a weekend getaway just the two of us and it was perfect although we thought our kids would have enjoyed the resort also. The renovated rooms were nice although don't expect high end luxury. The beds were very comfortable and the view from our room was unbeatable. The rooms were a bit nosy and our tub was stopped up, although the staff was very apologetic about the tub problem. Overall a nice weekend getaway spot, not my recommendation for a whole week unless you are there to fish and boat. Also the restaurants close early and at that time your only option for dinner is dominos delivery unless you want to drive off the resort.

• Stayed August 2012
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina at Holiday Isle, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thanks for your great review. I am so pleased that you and your husband had a great time. I do hope that you will return soon. We would love to see you again.

Dauphin, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I frequent Holiday Isle on many occasions. It seems to be going downhill. This morning went to Raw Bar for breakfast and the place was out of control. I ordered simple fried eggs and sent them back three times. First they came sunny side up, then the second time over easy, third time is the charm, fried!!! One would seem to think that fried eggs would be easy enough but no. Then, someone elses order was messed up and the poor server was actually attacked by the cook. The cook threw a plate of food at the server!!! Incredible. The server breaks down crying, and as soon as her relief gets there, she quits, walking off the job right then and there. I thought good for her, no one deserves to be treated like that!!!! Then ten minutes later, the new server says the computers have crashed and the cash drawers are locked, cant take credit cards or cash for that matter!!! Come on people, you just pumped millions into the resort and cant spend 20 gs to upgrade the computer system, You have got to be kidding. The servers out front are struggling and this is where you make your money, and your reputation. As I said the place is going down hill. It seems as though the people trying to put on a happy face, and trying to do a good job for customers cant get the help/support they need. This was not the first time I have been at the Raw Bar and the computers quit working. Its not pretty, everything comes to a screeching halt as the servers have to resort to writing all the orders long hand. In this day and age it seems really out of date!!! Get with the progam people. You can do better.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
cruiseking15, General Manager at Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina at Holiday Isle, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
My sincere apologies for the very poor service you experienced yesterday. Although all of our computer equipment is brand new, it still occaisionally has problems and needs to be rebooted. Computer problems are frustrating but does not give an excuse for the poor communications betweeen server and cook and subsequent issues you mentioned. I would like you to contact me personally to discuss furthur.

tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I did not set very high expectations for the quality here and glad for that. It is a fun stop in the keys but do not expect luxury. Poor AC systems either too cold or too hot & the poor person who has to sleep in the bed next to the AC. Noisy hallways, broken ice machines, slow service if you can get someone to come. Our drinking age kids had a good time. Our young child liked the game room. Our middle age kid found some fun trying to snorkel off the beach. It was fun for the $$. The management did acknowledge our concerns, appreciate that. Fun throwback experience at PCI. PS You have to eat at Shulas - outstanding burgers!

Room Tip: Rooms by the doors are noisy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We are traveling with family and friends here in the Florida Keys. My family and I have been looking for a nice place to vacation. We live approximately 4 hours from this place. I have stayed here many many years ago before it was Postcard Inn and have very fond memories of the building and location. We decided to stop by and have a look to see if this was the place I remembered. WOW I said as we pulled I the parking lot. This place has improved its look ALOT! I was excited to go in and take a look around and show our friends and my family the place thinking it would be an awesome place to stay. I was greeted nicely at the front desk and asked for a brochure. The girl handed me a trifold and I continued to asked the room rates. She told me to look on the Internet web site. Oh okay....... She then said the website address was on the back of the brochure. A little snooty I thought to myself. However I continued to ask if they would mind I we had a look around the property to see if it was the right place for us to stay. We were given a prompt reply of "sure". As we strolled we first decided to have a couple of drinks at the raw bar. The service was terrible... We ordered a total of 4 Premade ice drinks and 6 sodas . It seemed to take forever.... Tried to order food and became invisible to the fella behind the counter. Okay so after we had our drinks we decided to check out the rest of the place. We were not on the property 2 minutes when half way to the pool area we were stopped by a young man asking for our room key. I explained to him that we were looking at the property to see if we would like to spend our family vacations here with them. His reply to me was you need a room key to be on property. I again explained to him that the front desk told us we could look around. He then again said to me that we couldn't be on the property. I turned to my son and said to him " I guess this guy just made up our decision for us about spending out money here. Now I understand security and privacy ... However to be rude to a potential customer lows my mind. What these people didn't realize is that we are traveling with approximately 45 others (friends and family) we have 4 boats and most visit here in the Keys every year and have been for nearly 20 years. We will not be staying here anytime soon. Not with the reception that the few of us received on our short scouting trip.
With all due respect. We never did experience the rooms or any other part of the place. However after the first impression was a loosing one for sure.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate all wheter they be good or bad. Although we do have a private beach and pool area for our registered guests to enjoy, you should have been permitted to walk through and see for yourself if you wanted to stay here. I will speak to all departments and refocus training on courteous, welcoming, and warm communiocations with guests and visitors. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I did read all the reviews before booking so I was not really surprised at the room size. The room was small but clean, it smelled nice. The bathroom renovation was poor, you can tell they did a rushed job, no space, shower was stained. Definitely bring your own TP, theirs is cheap and rough. Private little beaches are nice, you can snorkel around but there's not much to see, snorkel trips are a must if you want to see a lot of fish. There is plenty of seating and the grounds are constantly maintained. Staff will ask to see your room key to confirm you are staying there, don't take offense to it, it definitely keeps the non paying crowd off the property. This hotel does take dogs, so you will see them around and in the water at times. They have a watersports company (rents waverunners, kayaks, paddleboards, etc) behind the Jaws raw bar, they're pricey but at least you don't have to drive around. Overall the property is average, I think a bit pricey for the room, staff is nice, beaches are nice, views of the water are beautiful. There are bars on either end of the property, but by far the best one is Jaws raw bar... very deceiving. The bartenders are AWESOME, they have their hands full with the bar and food service, yet they are always pleasant and attentive. When you see this bar you think, greasy food, but no way, DELICIOUS! Don't be afraid to order breakfast from here, it's really good. I was impressed, it's not gourmet but it's flavorful home cooking without the grease.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast service and bartenders. They are a hard working group of people, many who have worked here for more than 20 years. I hope to see you back again soon!

Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Were very excited to come to this hotel, being the most expensive, we thought we were in for a real treat! Not true unfortunately. Checked in and although the view was fantastic, the room was small, no place to put luggage, no fridge or microwave (although there was an area marked out for one), had to make coffee on the floor (no outlet on the shelf). The bathroom was old, no vanity for makeup etc., toilet got plugged, and the blinds on the windows showing this beautiful view, fell off at least 3 times and had to get maintenance over every time. Had a power outage one morning and went to the breakfast area where I was charged 3.00 for a lukewarm coffee. Once the power came on (about 15 minutes after breakfast was supposed to end) we asked for our breakfast and was told sorry-we are on lunch menu now. Had to drive elsewhere. Although the manager did give us some money off our room, we were still very disappointed since we were vacationing through the Keys and Gulf area of Florida for our 30th Anniversary.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina at Holiday Isle? Share your experiences!