“Loud, rude, and obnoxious male waitstaff” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 80 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Our restaurant atmosphere is warm and friendly. Our food is prepared delightfully light, healthy and flavorful. Our seafood is grilled with lovely toppings - and if you desire fried, we fry in rice oil for good health. We do have delicious, made in house desserts including our Awarding winning traditional Key Lime Pie, German Chocolate Cake and locals favorite Hummingbird Cake. MA's also has a desirable Wine and Beer menu.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Loud, rude, and obnoxious male waitstaff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We saw the review dated May 5 that noted a "snarky" server at Ma's Fish Camp, but decided to give it a go anyways. He was there. He was snarky. Even though we were not seated at one of his tables, he came over to ours, as he did to all of the other tables we could see. I grew up in San Diego, and even though I now happily reside in Colorado, I consider myself a devoted fan of fish tacos. When he asked me what I was ordering and I told him fish tacos, he snickered, and muttered under his breath, "fish tacos". He immediately put me off. I ordered the fish tacos and found them to be excellent. While every business owner is free to hire whomever they wish, if I were in the restaurant business I would focus on hiring waitstaff who made my customers feel welcome. His visiting every table and offering up his crass, rude comments that he obviously felt were humorous was too much for us. Even though the food was excellent, and our waiter was satisfactory, we will not return to Ma's Fish Camp. In my opinion, this turkey should be fired immediately.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tucson, AZ
“Excellent food; "snarky" server”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We found the food to be excellent, as advised by the locals; however, our server left much to be desired. At the end of a long day on the road, we were not in the mood for someone who was condescending, rude and had little patience for tourists and their questions. He managed, initially, to have us consider trying our other alternative, "Lazy Days", just down the road. If you're hungry, the food is highly recommended; but, if you detect an attitude from your male server with the "pendulous" abdomen, save yourself some aggravation and go down the road to Lazy Days.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

My partner and I were in Islamorada for a few days and decided to try this restaurant. We had such a good experience the first trip, we returned a second time. We arrived at the restaurant slightly before the 6:00 rush both days. The first night we split the coconut shrimp which had a curry sauce and a tropical sauce. They were both exceptional and the coconut shrimp was cooked to perfection. We then split the fish tacos, thank goodness, as the helpings were huge. They were very delicious. The second trip to the restaurant we had triple tail fish which was delicious. This was the first time in the Keys and we found that this was the best evening meal we had while here.

We ate in a lot of places over the course of two weeks and this restaurant remained at the top of the list. Definitely eat there is you have a chance.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Pretty darn good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Food was really good. The hummingbird cake is amazing and the grilled mahi sandwich was phenomenal. The service could have been better but it could have been worse too.

“Food was not bad, just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The food was not bad here, just not as good as we were told it was going to be. I had Hogfish for the first time and asked for it blackened. I got it with some blackening seasoning on it, and that was about it. The service was mediocre too. It seemed as if it was the waitresses first night.

Other people in the restaurant were raving to their waiter how great the food was, so I would be willing to give it another shot.

Visited April 2012