“Great for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amara Cay Resort

You added Amara Cay Resort to your Saves list
Amara Cay Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   80001 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL 33036 (Formerly The Islamorada Resort)   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long branch, NJ
“Great for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Nice and quiet resort. Very clean with a friendly staff. Only drawback was the renovations going on right now that consisted of awful drilling that began at 8am and ended promptly at 6pm. Our rental car was covered with an inch of concrete dust and when I asked about it they quickly got someone to come out with a hose and wash down the car. Breakfast is included....nothing special but enough.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kara L, General Manager at Amara Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Good afternoon taj4,
Thank you for the kind and very truthful review of our hotel. We think we have great staff and I am so happy that they were able to assist you as we never want to inconvenience our guests and we know that between the drilling and the dust on your car was just that. We hope that you will come back and visit us once we are completed and we will save you some sunshine when it's not as warm during a Jersey winter.

Kara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Even though the Hotel was under construction, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Can't wait to see it when the renovation is completed. The food at the pool bar was really good and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. Housekeeping, too, was responsive to all our needs. I had asked for a couple of extra top sheets (instead of using the bedspread at night) and voila~ they were dropped off immediately. This was a family trip, and it was nice to have plenty of space around the pool and out on the beach for family to congregate.

Room Tip: We stayed poolside and really enjoyed the convenience, but might have enjoyed the view from the uppe...
Good afternoon jojogr,
Hope you had a safe trip back to Hot Springs! Thank you so much for the great review, we are glad you enjoyed Islamorada and our hotel. We do apologize for the inconvenience of renovation as we know that it was disturbing but we hope that you will be able to come back and visit us again soon once it is complete and enjoy some of the great things we offer in the Florida Keys.

Springtown, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We booked this resort because we are divers, we dive in the morning and then head back to the room and relax then head out in the evening. The noise in the room was so loud from the construction that it was impossible to even stay in the rooms during the day. We payed full price for this room and did not find out about the construction until we checked in, They offered us drink specials to compensate for the construction noise? This is a total rebuild going on, the rooms are ok, the beds are hard, the noise is unbearable. DO NOT go to this resort until the construction is complete. The restaurant is no longer an Outback Steakhouse.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Good afternoon Dscomp,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel from your past stay. I apologize that the construction was so disturbing to you and your guests as we are trying to be as accommodating as possible during this time and we would like to make sure that you felt this way. When you have a moment if you can contact me directly to discuss in further I would greatly appreciate it as we love our divers and want them to have the best time in the world diving our wrecks and coral reefs. I can be reached at gm@theislamoradaresort.com

Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We just returned from a two night stay at this wonderful hotel. The short review is that I would not hesitate to give them my repeat business!

This is a hotel that is going through renovations (Interior renovations are scheduled to be complete mid-December). Our room was a large (lots of space) two room suite facing the ocean. It was freshly painted with bright cheery colors and very clean. The furniture in the living area was a little dated, but clean and in good condition. The bathrooms (there were two) were clean with new tile on the floor and a mix of new and old fixtures. That is to say that some fixtures were replaced in the renovation and others were not. The old fixtures were in good condition, but dated and a little worn. The bathrooms were very clean like everything else. The beds were a little firm for my liking, but in good condition.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, even giving us a late check out on our last day which gave us some more time to hang out on the beach.

The continental breakfast was good, but lacking any type of protein. You could have a Belgian waffles, oatmeal, bagels, cereal, muffins, hard boiled eggs, and fruit juices.

The only issue I had with the renovations was the noise (very loud) during the day while the work crew was jack hammering the old concrete and tile flooring in the units being renovated. Most noise was over by 5, but I could see where that would be an issue if you were hanging out at the hotel all day, or just wanted to take a nap in one of the hammocks that were under the shade of the palm trees by the water.

Bottom line: I would return even now, but look forward to visiting after the renovations are complete.

Room Tip: The rooms are large and we chose one overlooking the water, but you can see the ocean from any room...
Good afternoon James B,
Wow what a nice review on the property. We really appreciate all the feedback and hope you are able to come back and visit us as soon as the renovations are completed (or even sooner) as even though you are in Jacksonville it is still not too far away. Hope you had a safe trip home and hope to see you again soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed in room 409 from Saturday June 12 to Tuesday June 16th. During the day we could not stay in the room. The noise was so loud that we had to shout at each other to be heard. The TV could not go loud enough to be heard. We are divers and get up early, dive cone back and nap-not an option here. Paid $200 per night and it was awful. Front desk really didn't care. The room it self was huge, beds were hard and no refrigerator to store drinks or snacks. Bar staff nice but ran out of mint for the drink special of Mojitos at 3 in the afternoon. Not worth the money spent.

• Stayed June 2014
Kara L, General Manager at Amara Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Good afternoon Dscamp1,
Thank you very much for your honest review on the property. We are going through a large renovation but we still strive for each of our guests to have an enjoyable stay and I take all of your feedback very seriously and will address with the various departments. Seeing as you are divers I hope that you will follow our progress on line and come back and visit us once our renovations are complete and let me buy you your next fresh mint Mojito.

Weston, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

It WILL be one of the nicest in the area.
For what I saw, nice decoration of the new rooms.
Spacious rooms, comfortable.
But at this point I got a room (#308) with almost no furniture (it will be the next room to remodel for sure), blinds that are broken, old bathroom, you know, it feels like you're traveling in a super nice boat but you're in second class.
No apologies from the front desk, no minibar, no fridge.
Its just a matter of management, if they don't care, they will miss guests....
But may be they see this review and do something...who knows...

Room Tip: AVOID old rooms....!!! and avoid rooms near the areas they're working on....
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kara L, General Manager at Amara Cay Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Good afternoon MCMTraveller,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on the hotel, we really appreciate the feedback and I can't wait to have you back and visit us when our remodel is finished (and I promise it won't be room 308 again). I do apologize that the room was not up to standards because regardless of the ongoing renovation that is not acceptable and I will address each of your issues immediately. I hope you stay in touch with us and do come back and visit and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

Saint Petersburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

In all fairness, I have heard that there is a big renovation forthcoming, so I may have to return for a re-review. First of all, there is nothing terribly wrong with this property. It is a bit worn, and a bit dated, but certainly a nice place. We paid about $252 with tax for a suite, and I feel that's a bit high. I would have written a much better review for a $150 per night stay! I was a bit dismayed they could not accommodate an early check in, although they did let us use the pool and beach area. The pool was a bit small, but the Beach area (traditional Key's beach with a seawall) was perfect! The seawall was teaming with sea life; Moray eel, Lobster, Urchins and a Nurse shark, so bring a mask. It may very well be worth the money post renovations! The Tiki bar had excellent food, I should add!

Room Tip: 5th floor...oceanfront!
Good afternoon Kevin9999,
Wow I am jealous that you didn't come find me so I could see all those creatures on our ocean bottom as well! I do appreciate all your feedback as it is what helps make us better everyday. We are undergoing a complete renovation and I hope that since you are a Floridian that you will come back and visit us once we are upgraded.

Kara

Been to Amara Cay Resort? Share your experiences!