“Worst Customer Service Ever for me!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amara Cay Resort

You added Amara Cay Resort to your Saves list
Amara Cay Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   80001 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL 33036 (Formerly The Islamorada Resort)   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Atlanta, Georgia
“Worst Customer Service Ever for me!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

It’s 1:50 AM and I’m writing this review from the comfort of a very nice Holiday Inn hotel 30 miles away from where I actually intended to stay, The Hilton-Hotels’ Hampton Inn in Islamorada. I wanted to stay at the Hampton because I planned on diving with a nearby dive shop.

After a very long day, I showed up at the hotel shortly before midnight, and the woman at the front desk was so intent on up-selling me a suite that even when I got a confirmed reservation online afterwards for the lesser priced room, she found a way to not accommodate me and rather see me turned me away a very irate customer! Thanks lady…. You single handedly turned me off all Hilton branded hotels! So much for the Hilton Promise to – “ensure every Guest feels cared for, valued and respected”.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
milemarker80, Manager at Amara Cay Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I appreciate the review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I can assure you, I have addressed these issues with our staff. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Tonyia Rounds
Assistant General Manager
305-664-0073

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We arrived at the hotel a bit early to check in so the front desk staff took my cell number and said they'd call when the room was ready. That was a first for me! If it's not standard practice it should be. We waited out by the water in the lounge chairs and enjoyed the view and the sun, they have hammocks which I was dying to use but it was too windy. A few iguanas came by to say hello which was entertaining.
Within an hour they called about the room and when we got up there at first I thought something was missing because we walked into a huge room with a kitchen and large living room and I was wondering where the bedroom was...well it was in a whole other room. Duh. It was a suite but I didn't realize it at first. We had a room right on the water so it was a great view and it was awesome seeing the sunrise from the room. The bed was really comfortable and we slept great. The bathroom is at the opposite end of the suite from the bedroom which is good for privacy but a long walk in the middle of the night.
Breakfast looked good for a free breakfast but we didn't indulge (too crowded). But they had a good offering with a waffle station, bagels, cereal, fruit and more.
The location is great, we were on all the Keys but really liked this island the best. It's quiet and beautiful. We'll definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We only stayed one night but the folks there couldn't have been friendlier. This is a beautiful hotel, very clean with a wonderful tiki bar out back and an Outback out front ! The pool was immaculate and the hot tub was too !! Thanks for making us feel welcome...great place to stop on the way to Key West !!

Room Tip: ocean-front is well worth the little extra cost !!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at lots of Hamptons. This is the best ever, a 'one off'. Much better than Hilton Key Largo just down the road and much more expensive. Special location. Great views. Happy, helpful staff. The steak restaurant / bar on the same site is owned and run by a different company but offers great value for money and good service. There is a liquor store ( Sid and Roxy's) about 2 miles back, on the same side of the road, towards Largo, so you can avoid hotel drink prices. Enjoy, we did!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
De Soto, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here with our 2 young boys. Checkin was a breeze and we were given an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite on the 5th floor (513), which was wonderful! The room was large with a kitchenette, balcony overlooking the beach and pool, 2 large bedrooms with 2 bathrooms and was spotless. The beds were very comfortable. The couple of things in the room needed repair, but they were minor and did not affect our experience. The pool was large, crystal clear and warm. The waterfront had a sandy lounge area, with a seawall and stairs leading to the water which was good for snorkelling. Outback steakhouse is onsite. There was entertainment at night around the Tikki bar. Breakfast in the morning was standard, with waffles, breads, cereals, fruits, scrambled eggs and potatoes. The only downside was the oatmeal was runny, and the orange juice very dilute. Otherwise was filling and a nice amenity. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and we highly recommend this hotel. We will definitely stay here again when back in the Keys!

Room Tip: Highly recommend Hilton Honors program!! The suites are wonderful!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel is in a great position, is pleasantly appointed and overall we enjoyed our stay. The one thing that let this hotel down was the cleanliness of the floors in our room. We arrived gone midnight on the Friday and noticed the carpet in the living room, bedroom and closet and the tiles in bathroom had a significant amount of debris on them (mainly around the edges but nevertheless they needed a good vacuum). We didn't bring this to the attention on the front desk at the time (given the hour) and assumed it would be cleaned up during housekeping's visit on the Saturday morning. This was not the case neither was it the case on the Sunday either. I raised this with the front desk on Sunday afternoon, where the issue was dealt with by a very professional and helpful young lady. The response from the housekeeping manager was that the room has been fully serviced that morning. I went on to list each area of the floors that was dirty and returned to our room to find the carpets and part of the bathroom floor had been dealt with. Unfortunately this didn't last as crumbs dropped on the floor beneath a chair under the kitchen counter/dining area Sunday night were still there when we checked out on Tuesday morning. Get it together housekeeping!
On a more positive note the beds were lovely, as were the linens, pillows, hot tub area, pool and "beach". The free breakfast hit the spot, as did the free wi-if. I must stress that everything else, without exception, was very clean.

Room Tip: I'd go for a suite over a standard room if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
altoona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Nice beach hotel with very friendly staff. The pool was clean and cool after a hot day in the sun. Make sure you meet Kymone, Brittany and LaChondra (AKA - Charlie's Angels). They made our vacation very special.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Hampton Inn Key Largo
The Moorings Village and Spa
#1 of 20 in Islamorada
5.0 of 5 stars 194 reviews
Pelican Cove Resort Marina Hotel Islamorada

Been to Amara Cay Resort? Share your experiences!