“The Moorings is the most exclusive slice of paradise! The staff and property trump the Ritz-Carlton!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Moorings Village and Spa

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Islamorada
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jupiter, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I was first introduced to this palm-filled oasis by my partner. He and his late son stumbled upon the property by mistake while vacationing at the Cheeca Lodge next door. They always wanted to visit the Moorings together, so I decided to take my man here in memory of his boy. We only planned on an overnight stay to pay respects to Connor.

When we arrived, Thomas and his staff were eager to meet us and show us around. We were given a full tour of this gem of a property. Every cottage is designed with a different style and named appropriately; the attention to detail is apparent. Each piece of art, furniture, each color scheme, even each bedside flower is given a special touch! The landscaping is out of this world! The variety and care of each piece is priceless!

After our tour, we were escorted to our cottage, and we immediately fell in love with the place! In short, one night turned into five, and on the last night, we stayed in Vera's place.
This was our favorite cottage! ...our own beach hut! We enjoyed a beautiful ocean sunrise from our beautiful detailed four-poster bed!

While we enjoyed morning kayak adventures, or a glass of wine while swaying in our hammocks on the beach, we were comforted to know that our room was only a few feet away! The property is so private that we never even ran into another guest! It was like our own private island! There is so much to do that we never even left the property. When we were hungry, we walked across the street to Pierre's. The head bartender Tim was such a gentleman, and he was very knowledgeable about wines. Tim gave us five-star service with a five-star meal. His personality shined, you can tell he enjoyed his guests.

One of the most memorable parts of our stay was the staff. We were constantly surprised with breakfast waiting on the doorstep, a bottle of wine upon an evening return, or just a friendly note from Thomas. The staff is so discreet, that I never saw anyone! We were never bothered or called unless we called them! The Moorings was really like our own private island! Jonathan said he had the time of his life, and he was so glad that he had an opportunity to spend time there. We will never stay anywhere else, and plan on returning as soon as possible.

Thomas is someone we will never forget. The comfort he gave Jonathan and I during this trying time in our life was greatly appreciated. Thank you to Thomas and the rest of the staff! We will be back soon!

-Renee and Jonathan

P.S. ...we are not posting any photos. If you you would would like to see this exclusive property, you will have to just stay there! :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights at the Moorings and even though we had the cheaper lodge "Veras", we expected something a little more for the $200 a night.

The area is beautiful, the beach is paradise. Gorgeous palm trees and relaxing hammocks. The sea is a bit gross, like the keys, it's quite marshy so weedy and murky, still warm to paddle in, but swim in the pool. Kayaks are free and good fun and a good way to explore the ocean.

Dinner at the cafe over the road is lovely, quit pricey, but fantastic watching the sun set while dining on the beach. If you fancy saving some cash, Tower of Pizza next door is very good, not like the stodgey stuff you get in Orlando, this was nice thin crusted, fresh pizza. Get a bottle of wine and a salad from the grocery store just past the petrol station and sit in hammock on the beach for dinner - lovely.

The cabin was nice, but dark wood panneling made it very dark, plus it's TINY so not much room to move, but you don't spend much time in it so not a huge problem. It needed a clean though, behind the bed and under was very dusty and cob webby. Great location, literally out your front door (The only door!) and step onto the beach.

Very quiet and relaxing environment and well worth a visit.

Tonk and I enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
RobynRs2, public relations manager at The Moorings Village and Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2010
The small beach house called Vera's is in fact a "studio" freestanding cottage directly on the sand just a few yards from the ocean. For those familiar with The Keys, $200 would be an extremely reasonable price for a private cottage on the beach in Islamorada, as a guestroom in a mid-range hotel in the area would run about the same or more. It is indeed "cozy" and this is always mentioned upon booking Vera's, but most guests are thrilled to enjoy The Moorings and its unique and beautiful setting for such a great rate. For those desiring a little more space, there are a variety of houses including the three-bedroom Plantation House, which is an expansive and uniquely decorated oceanfront house with a wraparound veranda.
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

All the good things people have said about this hotel were true. The grounds are very pretty, the pool is great and we had a very relaxing few days. Really enjoyed the beach cafe across the road for dinner.

But I'm not sure this deserves the raves it gets. Granted, we stayed in one of the cheapest cottages, ($250 a night, off season, so not actually cheap IMO) but the entire interior, including the bedroom ceiling, was covered in wood paneling, making it so dark inside that it was cave-like and not in an appealing way. The bathroom was tiny, you had to step out into the bedroom to even dry yourself off. I'm sure the more expensive cottages are nicer.

You really can't use the beach for swimming, there is a wide area of gucky stuff at the shore line. When the tide was in there was a band of sand underwater before the guck, so you could at least wade a bit. I live far from the ocean so this was very disappointing. Not the fault of the hotel, of course, but you need to know what to expect.

Most of the single kayaks were broken (couldn't attach the seat straps, so no back support). There were no other beach/water toys available when we were there.

Maybe we just hit the place at a bad time, but there were many and noisy young children. I had thought our visit would be after most kids would be back in school, but no. We just switched to the beach if the kids made too much commotion at the pool, so this is hardly one of life's big problems, but it did mean that the hotel was not the relaxing adult paradise the reviews had led me to expect.

For the U.S., this is an unusual little place and I'd be very happy to go back sometime. They did have the nicest beach/pool loungers I've ever seen. But in the interests of accurate description I thought I'd post this review.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed at the Moorings for the last weekend of August 2009. Me, my wife and 1 year old stayed in the Parker House for two nights. Being that we were Floridians already we could use a little rest and relaxation in the keys. The Moorings was very easy to locate, right off US 1. We were checked in the house right away, and found the Parker House to be very nice situated next to the beach, and a very short walk to the pool. The house had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen. The house decor was very nice. It would have been nice to have a king size bed instead of a queen but it was all ok. The beach was very nice, water very warm and the pool delightful. I would definetly recommend this resort to anyone looking for rest and relaxation.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I am writing this review in August of 2009 at a distance, as our family has grown up and we have not been to the Moorings in a year or more. We used to go regularly and enjoyed our stays tremendously: laid back, quiet, lovely, exclusive. One thing you are not, at the Moorings, is crowded. Folks are helpful and service excellent, though you need to know that you are only getting the living space, location, and weather. There are no on-site meals at The Moorings: all their houses come with full kitchens and most have washer/dryers, too. The photos on the website are spot on. No fakery! But no daily maid service unless you pay for it. So, the price you pay is a very base price indeed. But, there is much to do in the area (if you don't need Disney World). We heard about it through a friend and have recommended to others. You really should try it...unless you crave incessant action and piercing nightlife.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Islamorada Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Hello everyone!!! Again I find myself being drawn to Islamorada and the superb accomadations of The Moorings in Islamorada. What can I say, but you have to come here! From the moment I entered the property I was no longer at the regular hussle and bussle of any other hotel/motel anywhere else in the keys... No sir!!!

The Moorings is MORE than a cut above ANY 5 star place I have ever stayed... I feel special being here. I feel like I have the entire property over looking the ocean is my private heaven laid out just for me. There are no loud radios, no distractions whatsoever. The beach is cared for every morning and combed before you even rise out of bed again making me think am I in a dream? The sand is ultra pure white, the bonefish and dolphins are playing in the flats out front of the property in unison with the pelicans dive bombing for brunch...

The rooms are immpeccable, the pool is private and just spectacular to visit anytime of the day.... The paths between the cottages here at The Moorings perfectly spaced... Privacy is a must that I require and the staff goes over the top to make sure this is carried out.....

I have 3 days left and I DO NOT want to leave!!!!! I am already planning a trip for July with my friends again....

Run!Dont walk! To The Moorings if you find yourself in need of the best the Keys has to offer in lodging hands down!!

Talk to Leslie on the phone at the office she was so gracious to help me with my stay here this weekend...

I am going to dine at Pierre's and Morada Bay across the street from the The Moorings for dinner this weekend every night. (Whcih is the the same owner by the way) The food there is the best, but I will save that for the review I write in the morning....

Be safe everyone and enjoy your vacations wherever you may be,

Ted Cranshaw

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

I too, like several people here, would almost wish to not write a review so as to keep the place secret. But my god, what a beautiful place. Words can never do the place justice. It is the only place that has brought tears to my eyes by it's beauty.

We stayed in the treehouse, which despite its name is HUGE, it had a very charming little loft with cushions, perfect for afternoon reading. It's located a tiny bit farther from the beach but you can still see it from the window.

The grounds are kept spotless, a small army of grounds keepers wake up with the rising sun every morning and rake the seaweed off the beach, rake the paths, pick up any bits of trash and put fresh hammocks up on the trees.

We were told that the place was filled to capacity, but we did not see a single soul on the beach the entire time we stayed except our last day, because they were shooting a commercial for Bausch & Lomb.

Thomas and Alison were so courteous to us the entire stay, even letting us stay longer than checkout time which is appreciated beyond words.

The bed and bathroom were so spacious and nice, and the laundry facilities were convenient.

We woke up to watch the sun rise and saw dolphins just off the dock. You can see SO much life just by standing on it. We even saw a baby shark swim past the dock. We saw sting rays, flounder, puffer fish, lobster, crabs, hermit crabs, needle fish, barracuda, all within inches of the dock.

The free kayaks were greatly appreciated and we rowed in the calm waters and watched the fish.

One morning a big bird of prey (I think it is a falcon?) landed on one of the old boats with a fresh fish he had just caught that looked bigger then him.

About the only negatives I would give the place is the bathroom in the treehouse had no fan, and every now and then you'd get a unpleasant seaweed smell coming in with the wind. Also at night there were millions of mosquito, but during the day it's completely clear of insects.

We were totally unprepared for the sheer splendor of this place, the quiet is overwhelming. I am forever grateful for having been able to experience this place.

Our treeehouse also had a little guest book in which previous guests wrote about their experience at the Moorings, all very positive and even inspiring. We of course left our entry.

I will never forget the Moorings and hope to return for a longer stay one day. This is a place not to be missed if you stay anywhere in the Keys. (but this is a place that is like a monastery, the quiet is why people come, so if you want loud parties stay somewhere else)

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — Mosquitos at night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Moorings Village and Spa? Share your experiences!