“Amazing Food” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 82 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
“Amazing Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I will start by saying, I have never written a review for another restaurant. I normally dont bother taking the time, but this was so spectacular, we just had to. I will also state that we do not know anyone affiliated with this restaurant, nor were we asked to write a review. We are totally doing this on our own because we feel that others deserve the benefit of our experience.

We had never heard of this restaurant before but after reading other reviews we decided to give it a try. We were staying in Key Largo. Since this restaurant was about a 25 minute drive south from where we were staying, we were hesitating on making the drive, but after eathing there, this place would be worth driving down from Miami for. Service & food were incredible.

Now for the good stuff:

We called ahead to let them know we were on our way. When we arrived, they had a table waiting for us. Our server, Natalie, had a cute laid back personality and a good knowledge of all of the items on the menu. I started by telling her that I had a few questions, to which she playfully replied "we only allow one per table". That set the tone for a nice relaxed excellent meal that was about to come.

Water, Hot Bread Sticks & butter arrived quickly at our table.

Appertizers:

Conch Chowder - excellent taste, just the right amount of spice, super meaty, and very tasty. The flavor was amazing and included diced pieces of chorizzo.

Sweet Onion Bisque - we had to try this because we had never even heard of it before. WOW, thick, creamy, slightly sweet and oniony at the same time. Incredibly delicious. A must try.

Shrimp Sliders - The name is deceiving but the dish is believing! Natalie explained that it was their version of shrimp & grits. I dont think that explanation comes close to giving this dish the justice it deserves. The best we can do to describe this dish is that it starts with stir fried grit patties with a shrimp on top of each one. Add a sauce, pepper slivers, tons of flavor, and who knows what else and voila! An amazing dish you have never experienced before, but will want to again.

Main Course:

Drunken Scallops. We ordered this dish because Natalie explained that they fly their scallops in fresh every two days and that they have never been frozen. Again, WOW, delicious scallops with a delicious sauce. Tender inside, with a slight outer crispy edge, cooked to perfection. As a side dish we had lobster mashed potatoes. I was expecting little tiny pieces of lobster. We were stunned when we saw that each time we took a forkful of potatoes there was a huge chunk of lobster in every bite. What a great side dish, and what a pleasant surprise. The other side was called Corn succotash. It was corn mixed with diced pieces of chorrizo, mixed slivers of different peppers and who knows what else, topped with a sweet corn cream. Amazaing!

Dessert:

Vanilla Creme Brulee topped with a chocolate covered strawberry. Exellent, excellent, excellent.

Summary:

Attentive, friendly service. Even the waiter's assistant was on top of removing empty dishes to help keep the table uncluttered and our water goblets filled. The food... As good as it gets. You would expect to find food like this at a top restaurant on South Beach owned a run by a well known chef.

This restaurant is like finding a diamond in a sea shell hunt. There is full bar service, an extensive wine list, and the ambiance is casual, et elegant. Best keys restaurant bar none.

We will eat here again any time we are anywhere near.

Visited June 2013
TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
GM,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review of our restaurant. It's so great to hear you had such a fabulous experience dining with us. We are flattered that you would write your first restaurant review about the Turtle. It's a huge compliment to hear that you think we are the "best keys restaurant bar none".

I will be sure to pass your compliment on to Natalie and the Chef's, it's always nice to hear you've done a great job. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you soon.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Good food, super slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

During a recent fishing trip in the keys, we stumbled into Green Turtle Inn to grab a bite, 8:30 pm.
Despite the many empty tables we were told there would be a wait. We grabbed seats at the bar for dinner. The poor bartender was slammed. Slammed.
We were pleasantly surprised by the great food, and very nice, relatively expensive, wine list. Great fish and salads.
Worth checking out.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jschmidlapp5,

Thank you for your review of the Green Turtle Inn. While I'm happy to hear that your dinner was "great" I'm sorry that the service was "slow". I am unsure of what caused the delay in service and I apologize if it caused your experience to be less enjoyable. It's never our servers intentions to cause a wait for our customers. We greatly appreciate your comments and I hope that you will consider us again if you find yourself in Islamorada.
“Perfect on every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a Garunteed winner for breakfast! From the greeting at the door to the fine server(Tracy). The salmon and bagel platter was scrumptious and the ham and egg pannini a great suprise ...you have to stop here...can't wait to try dinner !!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
TbgZombie,

Thank you for your review of the Green Turtle Inn. I'm so thrilled to hear that you consider us a "guaranteed winner" for breakfast. We love to know our customers are liking what they are getting. Thank you for the recommendation to others! I hope you join us again soon!
deer park,ny
“Best Meal in the Keys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I ate here our lasts night of vacation. I am so glad the restaurant was recommended. It was incredible. I had the bacon scallops and they were done perfectly. the Dark N Stormy's were great. My husband's onion crusted Mahi-mahi was to die for. To top it off, they have the best Key Lime Pie. This is a don't miss. I drove past this place dozens of times and never thought to stop here. Make sure you stop.

Visited June 2013
TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
11messiah,

Thank you for such a great review of our restaurant the Green Turtle Inn. We appreciate your compliments and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your meal and cocktails! It's always so great to hear our customers loved the meal that our Chef's work hard to perfect. And we'd like to say thank you for your recommendation to other travelers to stop in! We hope you join us again soon.
Venice, Florida
“Clicky and snob feel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We liked the look of this place and stopped to have dinner here. The place was half empty and the hostess asked if we had reservations. We didn't, but noticed there was hardly anyone sitting at the bar. We asked if we could sit there and have dinner and were told that since we didn't have a reservation we could sit there, but it would be at least an hour before we would get dinner because we did not have reservations. Really?

• Visited May 2013
TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Green Turtle Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Severalolives,

Thank you for your review of the Green Turtle Inn. I apologize that you did not enjoy your experience here with us. I understand your frustration about the seating issue you experienced. We have to be very careful at how we seat our restaurant. If there are reservations that are expected and we have already had a few walk ins, we do occasionally have to ask our walk in customers to wait for a short time as to not overflow the kitchen and cause food service to slow. We do experience high volumes during this part of the year.

I do apologize if no one properly explained to you the reason for your wait. I know how frustrating waiting can be. We do hope you will try us again if you find yourself in Islamorada.