“Brides Beware” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 84 Restaurants in Islamorada
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Entertaining clients, Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Miami
“Brides Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I've never felt I needed to speak out about bad service before but the Green Turtle turned out to be a huge disaster when we hired them to cater our wedding in Islamorada, FL. While the food was amazing, I can list 10 plus items they dropped the ball on. If you can believe it, they forgot an entire dish from our dinner menu and will not refund us the money. In addition, they forgot champagne glasses making our special toast impossible. Their catering director was extremely unprofessional and I'm surprised she didn't get fired. My poor parents were running around all night covering for her mistakes. Beware future brides... these people are sneaky and not what you would expect from the wonderful Florida Keys. Do not trust them with your special day!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Almost spoiled the wedding......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Things were going great. We had been working with Green Turtle catering for several months and had met with their catering director Mark, chef Dan and had a wonderful tasting. Then prior to our daughter's wedding we were notified (by our wedding planner, not GT) that the catering director had left and been replaced with another. That is when communication became a problem. At no time did the new catering director make any effort to reconfirm our requests or pay special attention due to the change in staff. One would say the attitude was one of indifference. On the day of the wedding there were no champagne glasses on the table (as per our contract) so we were unable to have a champagne toast. One side dish never managed to appear and the staff (although plentiful and in attendance) had to be directed by my husband and I to 'pour the wine table side' (as had also been agreed to).

If not for my wonderful wedding planner who rode rough shod that day all would have been The only redeeming feature was that the food was great - .

• Visited April 2011
Jensen Beach, Florida
“Good food but at a high price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We walked in on a busy Friday night so we decided to sit at the bar to wait for a table. We had a glass of pinot grigio and a scotch on the rocks. Each drink was $10 and they charged an extra $2 for ice in the scotch, because "with ice we pour more liquor"? Not a good introduction to the Green Turtle Inn once we got the bar tab. No more drinks for us here...

Dinner was very good and the service was cheerful although they were very busy. We ordered fish prepared in some style that involved butter and lemon and capers, delicious, but way too salty, a shame, between the naturally salty capers and the extra added salt, made the food almost inedible, but at $35 an entree, I'm going to eat it.

The atmosphere was busy and upscale for an old Keys restaurant that has been there on the side of the road in Islamorada for years, yet I had never stopped here in the 30 yrs I've been up and down US 1 to the mainland.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newark, Delaware
“Can wait to try the rest of the menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stopped in for a quick breakfast before heading to our plane in Miami and I could not believe all the wonderful things on the menu. We only had time for some fresh fruit and a sticky bun but the service, atmosphere and food was all so good I cant wait until I can visit again.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“This is a must stop in the Keys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Great service, great food and the ambience is fine considering it nots right on the water. I'm usually not one to try ribs when dining out but when a waitress walked by carrying an order to another table it gave me no choice but to try them. It was definitely the right choice.

• Visited May 2011