“Vacation Breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 80 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Barrington, Illinois
“Vacation Breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

My wife and I were in Islamorada for a week staying at the nearby Cheeca Resort. We would sleep in and make it over to the Green Turtle for breakfast just before they would stop serving breakfast at 11:30 am.

I have to say that the food was great. I have noticed some of the criticisms on here about service and I do have to agree that it was slow, but not terrible. However, I was on vacation and the food made up for it. I had the Turtle breakfast one morning: 2 bacon, 2 eggs, 2 sausage, and a side of grits (best grits I've had since I was a kid). My wife had an omelette each morning ... she loved it. The coffee seemed really great there as well.

The bill pleased us the most. At our resort down the street, the breakfast buffet was $25 a person! At the Green Turtle Inn, breakfast for both of us was $21.

The decor inside the Green Turtle is really cool too.

Go here for vacation breakfast ... you won't regret it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Reno
“Best All Around Food, Atmosphere and Service in the Florida Keys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

My wife, kids and I have now been to the Green Turtle Inn located in Islamorada in the Florida Keys 3 times recently, and at least twice in previous stays in the Keys. We have now had the pleasure of eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at this restaurant, and each and every time are treated to wonderful food and 5 star service. Especially enjoyable is the atmosphere of the restaurant, which has dozens of old and new photos of famous people that either dined at the restaurant, or caught record fish in the area. Beautiful decor, sort of an "old school" feel as I understand the restaurant has been there for decades, but very clean and impeccably kept. It is definitely on our "list" in our coming visits back to the Keys.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“It was nice!!! I'd go back!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

Service was great. Fish was great, but meat dishes could have been better...

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Aweful Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

My husband and I went to the green turtle to have coffee and desert after watching the sunset. The server treated us as we were not worth serving as we were not spending $100.00+ on our bill. We waited over 40 minutes to get our desert we never got. We finally got tired of waiting so we paid for our coffee and left. To pay for our coffee we had to get up and ask someone how much was the coffee as we never saw our server again. There is no excuss for this type of service. It's unfortunate as we would have had dinner there the next night. All customers should be treated with respect.

Naples, Florida
“Would love to have tried the food but we couldn't get someone to wait on us.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The last time we stayed at Cheeca we saw the Green Turtle Inn and wanted to try it but we ran out of time, so this year we decide to set a day aside to go there. We went with our two kids (7 & 2) from the moment we walked it it should have been a sign of things to come. First it took some time to even get seated even though they weren't busy (more than 1/2 the tables were empty). Finally we were seated but after waiting almost 30 min with no one even bringing us water or taking a drink order or even checking on us we decided to leave as the kids were hungry.

I will give them another try perhaps the next time we are down as the place looked neat.

• Visited June 2011